Author Topic: WF15 Something Old, Something New  (Read 12446 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
WF15 Something Old, Something New
« on: February 20, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »
Something Old, Something New Challenge

Welcome to Winterfest 2015!
This challenge opens on Saturday, February 21 and ends on Sunday, March 2. 
Keyword:  WF15-Old/New

I saw a card in the gallery a while back that had an older image coupled with a more modern technique.  It made that older image seem new again.  So my challenge is to take an old image, the older the better, and use it on a card that you’ve created using a technique that may not have been around when that stamp was made. 

So what’s an “old” image?  That’s going to be relative.  Let’s say something at least three years old, but really, those of us who have been stamping for a lot longer than that should reach back for something much older.

What’s a “modern” technique?  That’s a matter of opinion.  Some older techniques are back in style.  I don’t pay much attention to what’s in style, but you might check out some blogs to see what people are doing these days.  If you have the supplies to try out a technique you’ve never used before but want to try out, now’s the time to pull out those supplies and do that technique.  If you already use the current techniques and/or art media, then just use one of them with an older image.

Clarification:  You may use a technique or art medium that is new in the sense of current or modern, or you may use an older technique or art medium that is new to you.

Requirements:
1.  You must make a new project.  It can be a card or something else.
2.  Please post your project in the Artsy Inker Gallery set aside for Winterfest 2015.  Begin the Subject line with WF15.  Under Keywords, use WF15-Old/New.
3.  Please link your gallery post to this thread and share your experiences here.
4.  You may combine this challenge with other challenges.

I’d like to offer an apology up front.  I won’t be monitoring this thread as often as I would like.  A very dear friend had a stroke on Valentine’s Day so I’ll often be away from the computer, but I’ll check in at least once a day—hopefully more than that.

BTW, if you posted the card that inspired this challenge, let me know so I can link it here.  I know I left a comment on it. 

Thanks to all who participate.  I do look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Daria
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:24:48 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Something Old, Something New
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:55:39 PM »
Daria, I know that this doesn't open until tomorrow, but I really like your challenge idea. I have been stamping regularly for three years now, but I do have older stamps that that and I will pull on the oldest ones! I already have a fun idea! 

Thank you for hosting.

I am sorry about your friend. I hope she recovers soon.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 01:59:08 PM »
Thank you, Heidi.  She's doing better every day.

I'm glad you have some stamps you can pull out for this challenge.  I know I have a bunch of old, used stamps that I have never used myself.  I hope to play too.

Daria

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:56:23 PM »
Daria - I'm so sorry about your friend.  I hope her recovery goes well.

Interesting idea for a challenge.  I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on for this one.

Can we combo?
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your friend. I definitely have some very old stamps. Will need to look around for a new technique. I love techniques, so I think I can find a new one.

Stampwilly

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »
Sarah, yes you can combo.

My friend is doing very well.  It's amazing what good rehab and a determined woman can do. 

Daria

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 10:32:53 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Daria, but I am glad to hear that she is doing better.  I hope she feels better soon.

I have to put my thinking cap on too.....I'm with Heidi on that I've been stamping for 3 years.....but I do have a few sets they I bought before that that I only used once in a while......oh Daria I just remembered of a set of hello kitty from when I was a child! Lol! I think I'm going to try to use that set!  I'm glad I talked it out here to remember that set.  O0

~~Melissa :)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:22 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend, glad that she is improving every day!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 09:35:09 AM »
Hi Daria, your friend is lucky to have you rooting for her.  Best wishes for her recovery.

Thanks for hosting the challenge, even though you are busy this week.  I definitely have some oooold stamps.
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 06:25:04 PM »
I dug out this older flower stamp to do this challenge and then sat for quite a while wondering what technique I should use for the background on the card.......so I looked up and saw the washi tape holder and went where there yah go using washi was not even on the radar when this stamp was born.  I hope a washi tape background qualifies as a technique......(that is a question).  Here is the card.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 08:42:20 PM »
Sadie, that's wonderful!  I love your card; the colors are beautiful, and the Washi tape background works great with the image.

Thank you for playing and providing the first example.

Daria

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »
Daria, I hope your friend continues to improve!

Sadie, your card turned out great! I can't believe that stamp is that old, it's gorgeous. It's so true how styles come back around, I'm pretty sure I've seen several new stamps recently that are similar to this.

I often wonder how clear/photopolymer will hold up over the years.

I picked out the stamp I want to use and decided on my technique. I hope to work on it today  O0
LeighAnn

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 08:57:42 AM »
Cool, LeighAnn, I look forward to seeing it.

Daria

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
I piece is a work in progress right now.  And I used a clear stamp that is probably 7 years old.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 10:39:34 AM »
I feel like this is version 1.0 of this card and it needs some improvement, but not sure what to do. I guess I kindof feel like it doesn't look NEW enough because of the embossed background, but I do like the overall look of the card and enjoyed working with the old stamp!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1080&message_id=03a44dc47f616f9fdfd2330c8f2f5b5a&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Thanks for the fun challenge, Daria!
~~Heidi~~