Author Topic: DRIVE-BY Challenge - Punched 3D “Flowers”----WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!  (Read 5469 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
This is a drive-by challenge.  It is a normal challenge, but will only last a couple of days (or hours for some) rather than an entire week like the others.  Usually these challenges are small and simple.  This drive-by challenge will close at midnight your local time on Friday, February 27, 2015.

For my drive-by challenge I would like for you to make 3D flower(s) using any of your punches (single image or borders, etc).  You can leave the flowers as-is or color/distress them.  In the photos below (click the photo to enlarge), I left the flowers as-is to show how much they look like flowers before anything is really done to them! 

If you need some help for how to make flowers using punches, read the following:

Recommended Tools:
  • punches —  you can use flower punches, but also look at others you may have: leaf, circle, scallop circle, even the punches used for making brads you might can use. 
  • pen or pencil—helps if the pencil/pen has a smooth barrel and not a hexagone-shaped one
  • toothpick is helpful
  • any other small dowels you may have (I use a small dowel from a nail kit that was for pushing back cuticles—this is a better way to use it IMO!  lol!  Paintbrush handles may work here also).

Procedure:
  • Punch at least 3 images (if using a single image punch); I punch the flowers in 2 different colors to better see the flower when finished. I didn’t make a flower using a border punch so I cannot recommend length when using border bunches.
  • Take a punched image and using the pen/pencil/toothpick, roll the image around the tool.  Do this for all three punch-outs.  This breaks the CS up a little in a smooth fashion, and helps the paper be more pliable.  You may roll as many times and as many directions as you like.
  • Glue the images together in the center and let dry.  You could use a brad here if your “flower” is large enough; my flowers were too small for my brads.
  • When dry, you may need to arrange the petals by rolling the edges with a toothpick or just your fingers. 
  • Done!  Take a photo of your 3D flower and upload it to the gallery, using the keyword below, then link on this thread.

You may alter the punch-out in anyway to help make the flower.  In the flower I made using the leaf punch-out, I made two small cuts on either side of the leaf and I cut the stem off.

You do not have to use the finish flower in a project for this challenge; I am just interested in seeing the 3D flower you make. 

When you upload your flowers to the gallery, use keyword WF15DBF, and add a link to this thread as well.  There will be a small RAK from my stash for this drive-by challenge.  Feel free to ask any questions. 

Have fun!   :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:33:59 AM by yellowcherrios »
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: DRIVE-BY Challenge - Punched 3D “Flowers”
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:35:43 AM »
Forgot to add: In the photo that shows the finished 3D flowers (the last one), I have the punch-outs I used and the order I used them arranged below the finished flower.  In the flower made using the leaf punch, the pink leaf is to show where I cut on the leaf with scissors--I only used the 3 dark pink leaves to make the 3D flower.

I hope the flower made using the leaf punch shows up well enough!  I think it looks kind of like an iris!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
It does look kind of like an iris, or I was thinking that the leaf punch would make a nice poinsettia!  Thanks for the pictures and the challenge.
Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
Cool drive-by.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »
Fun challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »
looks like fun!

Stampwilly

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »
Fun challenge! I haven't made any punched flowers in a while, They're fun to make! I love your samples  O0
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »
Your flower is fun, Stampwilly! I need to work on this!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
Here is my flower.  This was fun. I was originally going to use a scalloped circle or maybe the flower punch I have, but then I saw the heart punch and thought I ought to try it. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1131&message_id=7d29ed67de67726f3daf78d29651bffb&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Thanks for the fun drive by. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 04:27:37 PM »
I do love my flowers!!

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »
I tried....I just do not have very many punches so I used my circle punches to make flowers....LOL they look like the flowers we used to make in high school for posters.....it was fun trying anyway.

Thank you for hosting this drive by, Yellow!

Link to funny looking flowers.

The picture at the bottom is the punches I used and the original circles.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »
I finished a flower.
Buttefly Punch Flower

I had fun making it.  And it is going on the watercoloring dry embossing piece that I posted to get an opinion on.
Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »
Great flowers everyone!  I thought it was so neat to see what flowers could look like using different punches!!  Thanks for all who took the challenge!

There's still a few hours left to play....   :D 

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 09:49:51 AM »
Putting all the names in a bowl and will draw name soon.....I'll post winner in a little bit!!   :D