Author Topic: Winter Holiday Cards in July, 2018  (Read 5167 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
Winter Holiday Cards in July, 2018
« on: June 30, 2018, 07:35:05 AM »
She's baaaack . . .

Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge -- 2018

I hope you have gotten a head start on our holiday cards by participating in Cindi's Christmas All Year! Challenge.  This month, I'm taking over for Cindi by offering our yearly Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge.  Despite my best intentions, I have not made any Christmas cards this year.  In fact, I think I’ve only made half a dozen cards of any kind all year!  Thank goodness I have a stash of cards ready for mailing—but not Christmas cards.   Come join me for this month’s challenge and make lots of cards.

If you are in the need of inspiration, check out Cindi’s past Christmas All Year threads; she posts an optional theme each month that you can use if it inspires you.  Also, you can check out past Winter Holiday Cards In July in the gallery.  You'll find 2014-2016 in the Challenges Section and 2017-2018 in the Cards Section where you post your Christmas All Year cards.

The Challenge: 
You have a full month--July 1 through July 31--to post your entries in the album set aside for this challenge in the gallery and link them to this Discussion Thread.  The challenge ends on July 31 at 11:59 pm your time.

Remember you must enter only new cards--nothing you posted prior to July 1, the first day of the challenge.  If you have a special technique you'd like to use that does not include stamping, your card will still count.  It would be nice to combine stamping with other techniques, but sometimes that isn't feasible, and I want your cards to be something you will love.  So your paste-embossed, embroidered, stenciled, Iris folded, die-cut, etc. cards are welcome.

Requirements:
1. Complete the tasks as described in this challenge.

2. When you post your card in the gallery, please label it with the name of the appropriate holiday and add the words "in July." For example, Christmas in July, Hanukkah in July, Kwanzaa in July, etc.

3. When you post your project in the gallery, describe it. Tell how you made it and what you used.  Thanks to Sadie, we have more space in which to describe our posted cards so don’t be stingy with your comments.   Some information that you could share:
Stamps:
Cardstock/Papers:
Card Size:
Inks/Coloring Medium:
Accessories:
Technique:

Next, come back to this Discussion Thread to link your post here and to tell us how it went—tips to help us or advice so we can avoid or fix problems. 

Combining Challenges:
You can combine this challenge with another challenge as long as the host of the other challenge will also allow it.

Prize:
There will be a prize awarded at the end of the challenge.  Your name will go into the hat once for every card you post in the gallery and link to the discussion thread. OK. I already know that the next question is do I get my name in the hat 10 times if I make 10 of the same card. I'll say you can get your name in the hat up to three times for multiples of the same design. Fair enough? There's no limit to the number of different cards you can post. You'll get credit for each different card.

I hope you'll join us and begin making your December holiday cards.  We can inspire and motivate each other.  Don't forget to have fun!

Daria
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:40:30 AM by djc »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Winter Holiday Cards in July, 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »
Thanks! I will get started soon. This helps me so much to get more Christmas cards done!

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 01:38:36 PM »
I haven’t done too well on Christmas cards this year. I hope in July I will have the extra oomph to do so!

I likely will not make any this week, as we are doing a sort of “staycation.”  Hopefully will have a lot after that.

Thanks for hosting!  July really is sneaking up on me!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »
I'm glad I'm not alone.  I bought that cute MFT Santa's Elves set and hope to get started with that one.  A few days ago, I was at Nora's, and I stamped several images on kraft cardstock.   Now I just need to color them and turn them into cards.  Sounds like a nice simple way to ease into this. 

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »
Well, I colored one elf.  It's going into the garbage, but it did help me figure out what not to do.  Progress.

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 03:35:11 PM »
Well, I colored one elf.  It's going into the garbage, but it did help me figure out what not to do.  Progress.

Daria

I almost always stamp out two of an image because I usually mess up one.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 05:03:55 PM »
Yay!  I'm so glad you are doing this challenge again this year!  I need to get moving!  My sister is coming for the 4th of July and the week following.  Mom had her stamps out today,  looking at Christmas images.  We hope to work on our Christmas cards together.
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »
Heidi, I stamped six!  lol.

Cindy, you and your mother rock!

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »
I just finished coloring all six elf images.  It sure takes a long time to color with colored pencils.  I hope to finish the cards tomorrow. 

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
Happy Independence Day!  I hope everyone enjoys the holiday.

I just posted my first Christmas cards of the year!  Let's see if I can remember how to link them to this post.  My Favorite Things Santa's Elves

I think I did it.  Yes.  It works.

I never seem to get tired of these elves so I hope to make more cards with them with different layouts.  I was a bit worried about ruining everything when I added the splatter.  I tried the Kemper Splatter Tool, and this time I used it correctly so I didn't splatter myself instead of the card, but the splatter was very uniform and very fine.  I wanted more variation so I tried the technique Stephanie Klauck used in the video I linked in the gallery post.  She put some acrylic paint on an acrylic block, mixed a spritz or two of water into the paint, and then used a stiff paint brush to flick it off onto the card.  It worked great for her, not so great for me; but I admit I didn't have a stiff paintbrush.  I ended up just dipping a paintbrush into the paint, sometimes watered down and sometimes full strength, and tapped my finger on the handle of the brush.  I did splatter more paint around that way, but my card was in a box so I didn't do too much damage.  I was happy with the way it turned out.

I am so happy to have my first six Christmas cards finished.

Your turn. 
Daria

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:39:29 AM by djc »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »
Hooray for you Daria, you're on a roll now!

Your cards are adorable and the splatter is just right!  (I think I might own one of those splatter tools ... I wonder where it is?, from my old tole painting days, ha!)

I ordered some Snow Tex.  It was sold out last year .  Maybe I'll give that a try this year.  I have an idea ... but that's about as far as I've got!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:17:38 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 12:18:52 AM »
Hi, Cindi.  I am also looking through old cards and Pinterest and my stamps to come up with the next card.  Good luck to us both.
Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 06:13:40 AM »
Daria, that is great that you got 6 cards done!  Isn’t that funny how many ways there are to splatter paint, and how we think some look good and some not!

Still working on ideas.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »
Heidi, I was just happy that this time I splattered the card and not me.  lol. 
Daria

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 09:28:50 PM »
Thanks so much for sponsoring Christmas Cards in July 2018! 

Here is my first card for July.

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4045#top_display_media