Author Topic: WF16 Surprise Your Valentine *** WINNER ANNOUNCED!***  (Read 8921 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
WF16 Surprise Your Valentine *** WINNER ANNOUNCED!***
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »

WF16SV Surprise Your Valentine

Challenge Dates : January 23 - January 31, 2016

Your challenge is to make a gatefold shutter card to surprise your Valentine.

When you open the card it pulls open a shutter, that looks similar to a camera lens opening to reveal your image or
sentiment.

Requirements :
1.  Your card must be a gate fold shutter card with a Valentine theme.
2.  You must have either a stamped image or stamped sentiment as the focal point inside the shutter.
3.  The front of your card must have stamping, either in place of printed paper, or as an embellishment on a belly band, or
      just somewhere on the front.  The belly band is not required, but stamping on front is required.
4.  Stamp, paint, or ink your envelope.  It can be a simple, uncolored stamped image.  Just put something on your envelope.
      I'm often in a rush and don't mess with the envelope, but since this is a challenge, take a minute to embellish your envelope
      and get your recipient excited to see what's inside.
5.  Post a picture of the inside of your card in the gallery.  Attach a picture of the front of your card and your envelope,
      and a link to your gallery post here in the discussion.  Use key word WF16SV in your gallery title and key word section to
      help searchers.

ETA : Combining challenges is allowed.

Some of the youtube videos on shutter cards use banner dies to create the shutter mechanism.  You can use a die if you wish.  I like
Maria's video and website because she shows how to cut your own banner shape, and her measurements are for an A2 sized card.
I also like the way Maria assembled her shutter.  Warning, her video moves pretty slowly, fast forward if you need, just to see the shutter assembly.
I'll include some links to videos and websites.  If you're unable to watch videos, check the website for dimensions and I think you can figure out the
assembly from their photos, or my photo, or just ask for help here in this discussion.

Here is Maria Russel's website with measurements. 
Here is her youtube video..

Another view can be seen on France Martin's website, Stamp & Scrap with Frenchie with a link to her video.

Have fun!
I will put the names of all entrants in a basket and draw one to receive a small RAK.

My sample shows a birthday card I made for my dad.  He's a fan of wolves.
Note:  I didn't stamp my image through the shutter opening like they do in some videos.  My image was bigger than the
opening.  I stamped it either on the back of the card base or on a separate piece of cardstock (can't remember).
I don't have a picture of the envelope  ???
You will attach a picture of the outside of your Valentine and the stamped or painted or inked envelope, either two pictures or in the same picture.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:33:49 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF16 Surprise Your Valentine *** January 23 - January 31, 2016 ***
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:46:19 AM »
This sounds very fun, and definitely a big challenge for me!  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
Cool card.  I've never tried one of these before.

Can we combo?
Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »
Very nice sample and what a wonderful video you found explaining this card and its folds.  Thank you for hosting.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
Yes you can combo!

It's not as hard as it looks Heidi, and you might even want to cut panels for more than one card while you have the dimensions up on your screen.
Cindi

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »
This looks fun! I've made a gatefold but not q gatefold shutter. I'm gonna have to check the tutorial out. Thanks for hosting :-)
LeighAnn

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 12:08:50 PM »
very cool, love cards with surprises!!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 06:22:40 PM »
I used LeighAnn's Stamp Your Ground challenge to make the front panels of my Valentine sample for this challenge.

Attached are the front of the card, and the front and back of the envelope.  I hope you'll try a shutter card!

Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Hello Artsy Inkers!  I worked on this challenge all afternoon and then looked at the instructions one more time and realized it calls for a Valentine's card only, I made an anniversary card for my hubby for our anniversary the 26th.  I also did not stamp on the front panels of the card.  So I now have a wonderful surprise card for our anniversary but alas no entry for this challenge.  Well I called that a practice and made another entry that I hope followed the instructions to the letter.  LOL

Here is the inside of the card in the gallery.

Below is the front of the card and both sides of the envelope.  Thank you for looking.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »
Your card is awesome Sadie!  I like all of your stamping on printed paper.  It turned out great!  I'm sorry you had to do this twice.  Please put the anniversary card in the gallery too.
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 10:12:40 PM »
Here is the anniversary card I made.  I put it on my website because it doesn't fit the perimeters for this challenge.  I am still shaking my head at myself over that one........

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 11:46:08 AM »
Sadie, I can't believe you went even as far as the envelope! 
Your anniversary card is wonderful!  I think I have that "Once Upon a Time" set.  It makes a great anniversary card. 
That was such a good idea to use double sided scrapbook paper.  Really nice card!
Thanks for not giving up and making a second card that IS a Valentine!
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/image~8.jpeg

I did this challenge.i used red cardstock thinking that it would make it easier not to show up mistakes.
All it did was make it harder to see.  Oh well, I tried.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/image.png
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:57:32 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 08:27:17 PM »
Cute Valentine Yankee! 

Don't forget, you need to stamp on an envelope for this challenge.  You can go back and edit your post if you want and add the picture as an attachment.
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »
Here is my entry! Thanks for the fun challenge! I love to learn new folds and fun cards. I have added this one to my list! :smile:

April

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2395#top_display_media -- front of card and envelope

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2396#top_display_media -- inside of card