Author Topic: Alcohol Pearls-What do ya' think?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Alcohol Pearls-What do ya' think?
« on: May 24, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »
At first I thought I could use alcohol mixatives instead of buying more alcohol inks...but I soon learned they are not the same... mixatives have a opaque base. 

The Alcohol Pearls are mostly strong bright colors (sets 1-3). If they are blown with a straw sometimes this creates a wet edge of ink were the mica settles.....an interesting effect.  They must be used on a non-porous substrate such as yupo but not glossy cardstock. Storing them on their sides certainly make them faster to shake.

It is definitely taking me a while to connect with the names of the colors. 

Would love to know what others are learning alcohol pearls.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: Alcohol Pearls-What do ya' think?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:14:31 PM »
I have 3 jars of it and still haven't used them, i am really need to get them out and give them a try.  I love those backgrounds that I have seen where they add some foil over the backgrounds when they are almost dry and just the wet parts pick up the foil, wow that is stunning, I don't have any foil, well that I can find but I was wondering if my mega flakes would work.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:15:08 AM »
I don’t have any yet. I kept thinking they would show up in a local craft store, but I haven’t seen them yet. I was thinking of getting just one set in colors I don’t already have. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
Heidi, Ranger sure is not keeping up with orders.  It takes a lot of looking and then purchasing promptly. I am having the same issue with Wendy Veechi's new Blendable Dye inks.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
Heidi, I am thinking I found mine at Hobby Lobby but not positive

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 12:06:09 PM »
I really wanted to play with them.  But I have tried to get them and I am all over it now.
I am on to other things.  I can’t tell you how many times that has happened with Tim Holtz products!
There are just so many options out there, I refuse to go crazy when I can’t find a product!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
Guess what, my Hobby Lobby finally got the alcohol pearls in stock.  I only got one pkg, because I couldn’t remember what to do with them.   I will go to you tube!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 03:15:21 PM »
Yah! have fun!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 01:30:40 PM »
I have 6 colors of the Pearls. I found that doing the smoosh technique with them does much better than any other way, although I have not tried blowing through straws. They do not fan out like the regular alcohol inks even when applying more blending solution or 91% alcohol. I put regular alcohol inks on my craft mat along with a color or two of the Pearls and smooshed the glossy card stock through it. I liked the results with that method. I got my pearls at Hobby Lobby when they had Tim Holtz stuff 40% off.

April

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:16:08 PM »
I posted a couple cards in the gallery using AI background and then using lift ink to add to the second card, I used a few pearl inks and a regular alcohol ink.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »
Are you still looking for Alcohol ink pearls?
You might want to try Joggles.com  Barb sells them individually as well as sets of 3.  She has also started selling a new line of alcohol inks called Marabu. They include several colors that are different from the TH collection and are currently on sale. They are different from Tim's so you may want to read the reviews and watch the video's on the blog.  There is on unique color called rainbow...but it has it is not a rainbow of color rather it sizzles when applied and moves the ink an creates a pearl like effect. 
I am anxious for mine to arrive and look forward to seeing what you create!...Jan