Author Topic: New way to temporarily mount unmounted red rubber  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
New way to temporarily mount unmounted red rubber
« on: July 24, 2019, 08:59:57 AM »
I got an email today from Purple Onion Designs.  They have a new product called a "clear mounting stamp" used to temporarily mount your unmounted red rubber to a stamp positioner or an acrylic block.  It looks nice.  See what you think.  There are also a few videos listed so you can see it in action.
http://stores.purpleoniondesigns.com/stamping-supplies/

By the way ... they are having an anniversary sale until Monday, July 29th.  25% off stamps.

One of the videos on the product page also shows how someone stores her unmounted red rubber in clear photo storage boxes ... hmmm, might be an idea ...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:01:43 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
Re: New way to temporarily mount unmounted red rubber
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 09:33:09 AM »
That has been around for a very long time.  I have used it, and it works great.  I actually thought about buying an extra stamp platform so I could cover the inside cover with this.  That way I'd be able to use the many totally unmounted rubber stamps that I have with a stamp positioner.  I do have a lot of acrylic blocks so I put the Tack 'n' Peel on a few of those.  You can still use the other side for cling-mounted stamps.

Hint.  Before removing it, mark the clear liner with a "this side up."  Unless it has changed, only one side releases.  I put it on the wrong way and had a terrible time getting it back off.  After that, I put a red dot on the side that does not release.  They may have fixed that problem by making both sides release.

Daria
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:41:16 AM by djc »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 10:51:16 AM »
that is pretty cool, I don't have many of those kind of stamps so I probably wouldn't buy it but it would be a great lifesaver I would think

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »
So these products are different than tack n peel?  I would like to see a video of it.  I am interested!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »
I think Daria is referring to Tack n Peel. 

This is something new, available for pre-order, delivering Aug 3rd.

It is called a Clear Mounting Stamp

Here is the video

I kind of like her storage idea too!  Also shown in the video.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:40:17 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 08:20:38 PM »
That looks great!  I wonder what it is made of, like is it just photopolymer like clear stamps are made of?  Or something else. 

Thanks for posting the video!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 10:32:35 PM »
It looked a little like a gel plate to me ... but it might just be photopolymer, I really don't know.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 11:12:43 PM »
Ok, I had to find out if red rubber sticks to photopolymer.  It does. 

I found a large clear stamp and stuck an unmounted red rubber stamp to the back/flat side and it appears to stick.  I don't think I'd want to stamp with it, because it wasn't a nice solid backing, but maybe with a denser design?

Here's what led me to try it, just to see if it sticks.

Mirror stamping

My Favorite Things sells a clear reverse image stamp, but it is not much bigger than an ATC.  Purple Onion Designs Clear Mount Stamp is bigger and just $1 more.

I still don't know exactly what POD mount is made of ...
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 06:32:09 AM »
When watching the video, I noticed the release sheet that they peeled off the mounting stamp.  When they put the stamp away, they replaced the sheet.  This is also what you do with the Tack 'n' Peel.  The mounting stamp must have some kind of adhesive on it. 

I was actually thinking about putting Tack 'n' Peel on the door of a stamp positioner, but now I think I'll just buy one of these mounting stamps.  I do have quite a few unmounted stamps.  (I got tired of trimming, mounting, and paying for all the supplies needed to do that and store them in binders.)

The only difference I see between the mounting stamp and the Tack 'n' Peel is that the former will also act as a cushion; there is no need to put a cushion under the cardstock.  Also, the mounting stamp peeled off the door of the stamp positioner easily.  If I remove the Tack 'n' Peel from the acrylic block, the adhesive remains on the block. 

Thanks, Cindy, for the head's up on this product.
Daria

ETA:  A while back I saw a video where someone used an MFT Mirror Stamp to do the same thing.  If anyone has one, would you give it a try and let us know if it works?  Cindy did an experiment with the flat back of a regular photopolymer stamp, and the unmounted rubber stuck to that somewhat.  I wonder if the solid mirror stamp would work better.  Just curious.  The POD mounting stamp looks like an improvement on the make-shift tip to use the mirror stamp.  I think I'm going to order it.

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 06:38:20 AM »
Well, heck.  The mounting stamps are not available yet.  The smaller one is up for pre-order; the larger one only has the option to add it to a wish list.

Sigh.
Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 06:51:46 AM »
Well, I just, in the last month, started experimenting with the Tack it Over and Over on some of my unmounted stamps. 

I am very anxious to know if this is a gelli plate, or a photopolymer or what!  It looks like a great solution. 

You do usually put the index sheet back on the gelli plate to protect it, so I think it might be something like that too.  But so hard to tell!

There were great tips in the video for positioning too. I use some of them, but not all.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 09:25:01 AM »
Bummer, Daria!
I thought they both were pre-orders, but only a week out.

Decisions, decisions.  Wait list/pre-order smaller mount?
I'm thinking the only stamps that probably won't work on the smaller one are unmounted red rubber background stamps.  I need to see how many of those I own.  I know I have some, that I always forget about ... so maybe it's worth the wait?  I'll think about it a little longer, but not too long, or those will be wish listed too.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 09:35:29 AM »
Oh that is a clever way of doing a mirror image stamping, i wonder if it works better than using Acetate like I use.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 06:26:52 AM »
I have reviewed the videos and am interested in a small unmounted stamp.  Can someone share where I find the wait list?  Thanks!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 08:13:13 AM »
I have reviewed the videos and am interested in a small unmounted stamp.  Can someone share where I find the wait list?  Thanks!

The store link is in the very first post.  Just click on the small mount and then click pre-order. 
~~Heidi~~