Author Topic: INK15--Bisque Pottery Technique--Winner Announced  (Read 13910 times)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Re: INK15--Bisque Pottery Technique
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 11:13:52 AM »
Ok, so I tried inking the folder again and running the same piece back through.  The result - darker splotches. 

So then I tried using the ink pad instead of my brayer.  The result - even darker splotches.

But as I was doing it I noticed that the ink was beading up on the folder.  I was using Distress Ink in Shabby Shutters.

So attempt 3 I used chalk ink.  And success.  I really like how that one came out.  And I did another one with a different folder and a different color of chalk ink.  I promise I'll posts picks later today.  My backs bothering me from too much craft time, so I'm taking a break. 
Sarah

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »
Cool, Sarah!  It's good to know that the chalk ink worked.  Plus, Heidi's comments make me think that other pigment inks would work too. 

I Googled images for this technique; and when I enlarged them, I noticed that few, if any, had perfectly smooth ink coverage.  Some card makers even call it a "distressed look."  As I mentioned above, one of my pieces that I did over again looks very distressed, and while it's not the look I was going for, I like it a lot.

Daria

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
I used a Halloween embossing folder and used Memento ink.  The first picture shows toffee crunch and the second is potter's clay.  I used the brayer and rolled the folder through twice and there is still blotches here and there. So I just took the itty bitty teardrop ink and swiped it across the embossing folder.  The lightest in each group is the brayer and then they get darker each time I swiped ink and redid it.   I am going to try the chalk ink I have like Craft Nerd did and see if that makes a difference.  Here are the first 7 tries, LOL!  I am putting them here because they are just the first part not the finished project.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:07:18 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 03:34:12 PM »
You know what, I don't think I have ever tried chalk ink with this type of technique before, so I might try that too. 

I also noticed in the video that there was not perfect coverage in that one either.  But it still looked great. In that case, I think that the folder choice makes a difference. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 04:31:38 PM »
Ok I used memento ink because that was the only one that I have a light color in and this time I ran it through very slowly and I think I got pretty good coverage, I was going for an elegant birthday card and this morning after looking at it I think it looks more like a sympathy card, oh well it needs to go out in the mail tomorrow so that is what I am going with. I have not tried chalk inks either, will have to see what colors I have in my chalk inks to maybe try it again.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2045&message_id=6d17fc41dc4b2ccd16228d65e184296d&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
Here is a finished card made using this technique.  This is the probably the best one out of the bunch I did.  Here it is.......

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 08:07:16 PM »
I haven't finished a card yet, but here are my various attempts.

The first picture was my first attempt. I used Distress Ink in Shabby Shutters and my brayer.

The second picture was my first attempt run through a second time.

The third picture was my second attempt.  I applied Distress Ink in Shabby Shutters directly on the embossing folder.

The fourth picture was my third attempt, with chalk ink.  I applied Versamagic in Aloe Vera.  It is not showing up very well in the picture.  Since the ink pad is one of those small dew drop pads, I applied it directly to the folder.  I got nice smooth coverage, but there was some ink on the raised portions as well.

I did another one with chalk ink, but I can only put 4 pictures in this post.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:12:24 PM by Craft Nerd »
Sarah

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
Here's the fourth attempt.  I used ColorBox chalk ink in rouge.
Sarah

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 11:42:31 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for posting about how it's going.  I'm glad to know what kinds of inks and embossing folders work well with this technique.

Sadie, the first embossing folder you used looks like it has an equal amount of embossed and debossed letters on it so you got a completely different look--more like letterpress.  They'll make terrific backgrounds for your Halloween cards.  I love the way the card you posted turned out.  It's good to see that this technique will work with the fine-line images on your embossing folder.

Connie, your card is beautiful and elegant.  You also used an embossing folder with a more detailed image, and it looks wonderful. 

Sarah, I definitely like the ones with chalk ink the best.  Only one of my tries turned out with that spotted look you got with the dye inks.  I have no idea why.  That one is just different.  The others were more uneven and splotchy; those were the ones that looked better when I repeated the process with them.  How about trying the chalk ink with the spotty one.  I already sprayed mine with water to see if the distress ink would mellow so I think it's too late to use another type of ink on it.  (The water didn't help.)

Thank you for all your efforts.
Daria

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:41:34 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »
I like the results posted so far. 

I am sounding like a broken record, but the folder that Connie used looked like the perfect one for this technique. Sadie also got nice results!

Craft Nerd, with a large background like in your ornament folder, I think it is easier to see imperfections, however, I think you did end up getting some nice results in the last few.  I like the pink one as well. 

I have a couple other folders in mind I might try today.  I am going to try some chalk ink first and see how that goes. I do think Distress ink beads up too much to get a good result, but I might try some of my light dye inks. 

Thanks for sharing everyone!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 09:26:16 AM »
I have done this many times and love the way it looks! I always use pigment ink. It washes off well with a baby wipe or water. I can't wait to do this one.

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 09:35:25 AM »
Okay, I just had some success! 

1) I ran my folder through once horizontally and once vertically.  No idea if that had an impact, but I am mentioning it.

2) I tried my colorbox chalk ink, some Gina K dye ink, and the same Linen Avery Elle pigment ink I tried Saturday.  They all worked!  The dye ink is just a little streaky because of how it slighly beads up.  The pigment ink looks the best, but they all look good.  I also tried distress ink and got bad results. 

3) I used the same embossing folder I used Saturday!

4) The difference!!???  The paper I used was some in my stash that is not the Neenah paper that I usually stamp on. It is probably some cheaper paper I got at the craft store, it has a slightly rougher texture and it looks like the stuff I sometimes have trouble stamping on because it wicks the ink out into the fibers.  So the paper, I hypothesize, soakes the ink in faster!  Maybe the Neenah stuff is coated to make it smooth so that does not happen????

5) Other notes: My cuttlebug definitely needed a 1 cardstock shim.  It made a difference. 
Brayering leaves a thinner coat of ink than pressing the inkpad directly to the folder.  Brayering was more even and was less likely go get in the embossed portions.  However, there was just a little less coverage on the ones where I used the brayer, but it still looks good.

I am SUPER happy with the results!  And super happy I found a use for the cheap cardstock that I won't stamp on!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:06:02 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 11:12:08 AM »
I used card stock out of my cheapy drawer too, I think it is some Georgia pacific white cardstock I picked up at Walmart years ago.  So Maybe you need a cheapy base for this to work and get good coverage with the ink.  I do know that the cheapy white card stock in general embosses of any paper I have tried in the embossing folders.  And if you ink it first you get some really nice effects after embossing in a folder.

To correct or clarify that one statement, I get the best embossing using this cheap cardstock compared to any other cardstock.  The impression is good and it kind of mashes the fibers and you get a different feel to the paper when you are done embossing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:44:27 PM by CarefreeSadie »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 01:16:35 PM »
Thank you so much for the experimentation and the comments.  That's what I love about our challenges.  I always learn so much from the people who share their problems and solutions.  You guys don't just give up! 

I'm looking forward to seeing your projects.

Sadie, I have some of that Georgia Pacific paper.  I don't like it so I use it to protect my cards when I send them by mail.  Now I have to try it with this technique.  I had wondered if the paper was the problem.  However, the technique seems to be very popular among Stampin' Up! demonstrators, and they all use SU's Whisper White or Very Vanilla.  They're very smooth like Neenah Classic Crest so I figured that wasn't the problem. 

I'm adding the advice posted on this thread to the Word document where I saved my challenge.  I don't want to forget it.  I've also added it to the original post.

Thank you to everyone who has shared.
Daria

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:53:20 PM by djc »

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 08:40:55 PM »
Am I the only one who likes Georgia Pacific paper?  I don't use it if I'm coloring with Copics, but I use it for my card bases and if I'm coloring with colored pencils. 
Sarah