Author Topic: WF2019: Stenciling with SC Winner Announced!  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
WF2019: Stenciling with SC Winner Announced!
« on: January 25, 2019, 06:24:25 AM »
Oh are we gonna have some kind of fun with this challenge during Winterfest 2019!  Oh my I am feeling excited and can not wait to see what you create!

If your weather is similiar to ours in Northeast Ohio you know today is a brief reprieve from the nasty, windy, wet, rainy, as well as very heavy snow and ice of the past 10 days. Definitely time to grocery shop for the week because the arctic weather is expected to be sweeping through for the next week.  Remember some food to throw in the crock pot as well as munchies. I have a short list of items for my challenge you may want to add to your shopping list including: shaving cream (that's cream Not Gel), a good portion of a roll of paper towels (a brand which is perforated into narrow sheets will work great, but if you only have larger sheets that okay too) and hopefully you can find approx 3-4, 7 inch small luncheon paper plates or substitute something you don't mind getting ink) like a wooden skewer or something you can whittle down to a point (maybe a old thin paintbrush?)   
And if you have some time you might get a jumpstart by cutting some of your regular white cardstock into A2 size pieces (approx 8 pieces).

If all goes well I will be posting my challenge details here early tomorrow morning...See you then #>
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:43:17 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF2019: Jan's Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »
I think I bought some plain shaving cream for crafting a few months ago, but never got around to using it.  So I will need to look in the linen closet to make sure it is still there.  Thanks for the heads up!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: WF2019: Stenciling with SC
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 04:01:15 AM »
[/b]Title--WF2019: Stenciling with SC[/b]
This technique was created by Lydia Fiedler (Understanding Blue)               
Here is a link to her video for this technique:  http://bit.ly/2dkTWSp

This is a wonderful colorful technique.  I have watched many techniques for making marbled paper with  shaving cream techniques but until this video I had not seen the effect created with stencils.   I was surprised how easy it is to successfully creative results with this technique.  The process is somewhat messy so I have included (my tips in parentheses)  to help keep the mess to a minimum.    I can’t wait to see your results!  These backgrounds are pretty quick to make so it is a good technique to make several  backgrounds while you have all yours supplies in place.

Notes from You Tube video: 
Supplies:  craft sheet, paper plate, stencils, foam shaving cream (not gel), gift card (heavy packaging plastic may substituted)  I found the   faux paper credit cards may add stray ink markings to your background.) Select a few combos of water based re-inkers (approx. 3 colors for each stencil print), skewer, a small stack of basic  A2 white heavy cardstock, paper plates ( I found I could create 3-4 stencil designs with 1 marbleized small paper plate of inks on shaving cream.  Initially,  I found a large plate held too much for me to use before I became anxious to try a different color combo.

I recommend a pan of water for soaking the used stencils until finished making backgrounds when they can be cleaned. And a spray bottle of water to remove stray ink or shaving cream that may appear. And to wipe your work surface clean after each background is created. I kept a trash can with a liner close by as a reminder to immediately remove all excess inky shaving cream.

Basic Instructions:
1. Use a craft mat to protect work surface. Shake shaving cream and squirt a rather thin layer on paper plate.  Smooth foam surface with gift card.  Wipe gift card clean.

2.  Add drops of reinker onto foam.  Gently drag skewer through ink drops to achieve a marbling effect.  Be careful not to over stir colors to help avoid creating muddy colors.

3.  Place a piece of cardstock on craft mat and add stencil on top.  Add small piece of removable tape to top edge of stencil to create hinge.  Gently lift the inked foam preserving the ink pattern onto the gift card. Gently swipe the colored foam across your stencil. The fewer times you apply the shaving cream, the more of the pattern will be transferred. The more swiping passes you make, the more you will transfer just color, not pattern.  Wipe your card and pick up more patterned cream as needed to keep your colors from becoming mud-like. Continue until all the open areas of the stencil are  inked with shaving cream mixture.

4. When inking is completely dry use a paper towel to remove the final layer of foam and burnish the ink.  (Note I found some areas on my prints took over ½ hour to dry so plan a space to let them dry.

For this challenge: make some backgrounds and then use one background to make a birthday or valentine.   Please post any  questions/discussions on this thread.  Post photos of you backgrounds as well as your cards in the gallery with the label WF2019: Stenciling with with SC.  And finally add a link here along with your comments about this technique. I hope you enjoy this challenge and create some artsy results.  Please do not combine with other WF 2019  challenges.  A random player will be selected for this challenge.  This challenge will close on Sunday 2/3/2019 at 11:59 pm
Happy creative moments!...Jan

Samples of my results will be posted this morning.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:21:14 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »
I’ve never actually done the shaving cream background technique.  I have meant to, but didn’t get around to it.  This is a wonderful variation on it and so pretty to have the stenciled areas!  I have a couple unused stencils so it will be good to get them out.

Your samples are lovely!  Thanks for offering the challenge.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 08:46:43 AM »
Who knew how handy credit cards would be?!  I'm anxious to try this ... and like your last challenge, I'm sure I will make lots of backgrounds.  I'd better clear some real estate for mess making and drying! 
Adding shaving cream to my grocery list.
Thanks for the challenge!
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:02:13 AM »
I am not sure my shaving cream will work and I only have either black and brown reinkers of Memento and tumbled glass of distress oxides, so trying to think if anything else I have in my stash my work instead of the reinkers, I love the results you got from yours.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »
I have been wanting to try the shaving cream technique for ages.  Now I'll actually do it. 
Sarah

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 11:34:20 AM »
My grandsons 10 and 7, both love the work with the shaving cream.  We have done it with poster paint, watercolor paint, cheap acrylics and some others, but never through a stencil. I can’t wait till next school break so we can play.
I did it for the challange, fun, fun,fun!  Thank you Jan for the idea.
I can’t remember how to bring the picture here, that is alway harder than the challenges.  But I will try

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/F1108C44-39FB-4A18-A32A-72ABA281019A.jpeg

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/F3EA5739-248B-4E91-B575-F65CEF3A19D4.jpeg

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/5C53A679-1F0F-487D-AB4B-03C8B8B8BC51.jpeg
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:23:38 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
This sounds great! Can't wait to try it!

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 11:08:40 PM »
I made a dozen backgrounds tonight while listening to the live RENT show on tv.  They are not all keepers, but I'll have lots to work with.

somewhat messy
For someone who doesn't like glitter, Jan, this is quite messy!  Haha!  I went through LOTS of paper towels.  Thank you for the tips.  I did it on the kitchen counter and filled the sink with soapy water to soak the foamy stencils.  I precut a stack of card stock to card front size as you suggested.  I also chose a bunch of stencils and pre-hinged them to the card stock pieces so I could just wipe up my mat and grab the next.

Most of my reinkers are Archival and I didn't think they would work as they are not water-based.  I have a few Distress reinkers, but mostly I used something else.  Anyone remember Dee Gruenig and Posh Impressions?  I used her Posh Rainbow ink.  She used to demo it with a dense sponge and swipe it across glossy card stock.  It worked well! 

I don't feel like my stencils came out quite as clean as Lydia's, but they are not bad, or at least portions are good.  I also got more of a wash of color, than pattern.  Maybe because if I saw white space, I thought the stencil wasn't completely filled and I ended up going over it more than once.  I'll post photos tomorrow.  I'm anxious to see what everyone else does.  I love your samples, Jan.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:11:58 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 09:30:58 AM »
I just got done making several backgrounds. I want a clean look so they are drying before I wipe the residue of the shaving cream off.

I wanted to give just one tip that I realized only halfway through.  If you do not mean to use the same color combo for a bunch of backgrounds, you may want to fill only half the plate with color.  Then when you are done you can use the other half for another color combo. 

I also noticed that if you walk away for a few minutes, the color will spread out more on the shaving cream.  Not a bad thing, just different, less white space.

Cindi, thanks for sharing how you got a wash of color on some parts rather than different colors. Is read that earlier and used that info to try to get variations in my backgrounds.

Connie, I wonder if colorbursts would work? I have seen them used over acrylic paint while using a gelli plate.  Maybe them mixed with a brown reinker to get a natural look?

I used my cheaper cardstock from staples and it worked fine. 

ETA here are my backgrounds
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4333#top_display_media
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:06:07 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 10:25:42 AM »
Heidi you backgrounds are so clean and pretty!  How did you know when your prints were dry?  Perhaps it is the overcast weather that we are having but I don't see wet areas. Do you have any idea how long it took them to completely dry?

Great idea for Connie to try color bursts on the shaving cream. Thanks for sharing! 

I agree it is hard to use backgrounds when you really like them...but I think this technique would be great for sets of Christmas cards.

Thanks so much for playing!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »
On my cardstock, I think it took about an hour to dry.  It is sunny here, maybe that helped.  I thought about using a heat gun on them to make sure they were dry. I would probably do that next time. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »
I have an idea of what I might try, just need to get out and buy some shaving cream

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 12:38:24 PM »
Here are my backgrounds, two butterflies and a flower.  I had fun pulling out my stencils and used as many as I could.

here
and
here

I describe more in my post from last night.

I'm not sure how long they take to dry.  It is rainy and humid here, all weekend and still today.  I let the first half dry while I made the rest and buffed at the end of my cleanup.  I left some till this morning.  Not sure it made much of a difference.  I think it smeared more where I had left a bit thicker residue.  I did enjoy seeing the colors brighten after buffing with paper towel. 

So, do you remember the Rainbow Sponge?  Haha!  I didn't realize till watching the old video that the sponges were a Ranger product.
Cindi