Author Topic: Cling Mount  (Read 1512 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Cling Mount
« on: October 24, 2016, 01:15:52 PM »
I recently purchased Crafters Companion brand cling mount for my unmounted stamps.  I noticed that older stamps that I mounted on cling foam seem more "sticky" or "clingy" than the newer ones.

I found that odd.  Is there more than one brand of cling mount to purchase? I am wondering if one is better than another?

TIA
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Cling Mount
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 10:13:47 PM »
Wow, it has been several years since we first started taking our stamps off of wooden blocks.  If recall correctly Sunday International sold the first cling foam.  Initially they only sold one thickness but later began a thinner product that was promoted for small stamps and sentiments.
Some other companies offered competitive products.  I certainly bought some that did not stay attached to acrylic block. I bought some cheaper black foam cling provided poorer performance for me.  Some folks started using the foam with transparent stamps which caused a chemical reaction which dissolved some stamps.  Notices were posted to notify customers and the SI business closed.  I believe the business was sold to Crafter's Companion but I see some being sold on Amazon from several companies by CC and SI.

I have found good results with the thin cling on stamps that are are up through a 1/2 of an A2 size.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:24:10 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »
I am not sure if I have the thinner mount or not. I will have to look into that.  I need ot for mounting unmounted rubber stamps. I really prefer that over using glue or something.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »
I've used EZ mount by Crafter's Companion.  It comes in 2 thicknesses.  The thicker is grey and the thin is black. I've noticed that the thin doesn't cling very well.  But it might be because I didn't realized it was meant for smaller stamps.  But I have used it with sentiment stamps, and it just doesn't cling.  More often than not, I pull out my temporary adhesive to get the stamp to cling.  I switched to the thinner one because the thicker one was a little too thick for the CD cases I use for storing my stamps. 
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:41:30 AM »
When I have issues with a EZ mount not clinging I do the same as I do with a transparent stamp--I wash both the stamp and the block with soap and water.  And generally have good results immediately.

Sarah there are 2 thicknesses of CD cases.  I believe the thin ones were made for 1 CD while the thicker was made for 2.  Once you remove the inner plastic pieces from both sides of the thicker case it will hold the stamps with thicker cling on the bottom side of the case. 

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:07 PM »
I used to mount with cling foam and also had better luck with the thicker gray foam than the thin black ... but thin is nice for tiny sentiment stamps.  I bought mine, way back, from Sunday International.  Later, I had some stamps I put Alene's Tack it Over and Over on them to make them tacky enough to cling to a block and also those plastic sheets made to store stamps in a binder.  I never finished that messy project ... so the remainder of my unmounted stamps, I just adhere to an acrylic block with a piece of poster tape or double sided Scotch tape.  Holds the stamp, yet comes off the block easily.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 07:49:47 AM »
Is there a way to add the tack it over and over to your acrylic block instead of the stamp?  Just thinking that would simplify the process a lot!  Not sure how I would store the stamps if I didn't cling mount them (I use binder sheets usually).
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 08:22:49 AM »
Maybe you could put Tack it over on a block?  They also sell a sticky sheet for that purpose ... but I haven't tried it and you'd want to look for reviews I seem to remember some did not like it,.. let me go look to see if I can find what it is called.  Ahh, found it in my mess of craft stuff, It is Tack in Peel by Tsukineko.  Maybe someone here has tried it?

I had the same dilema ... If the sticky is on the block, not on the stamps, how do you store the stamps? 
I put poster tape, or removable double stick tape on my binder sheet, behind the stamp.  I'm not completely satisfied with my stamp storage yet so don't do it because I said so!
Cindi