Author Topic: Which embossing buddy for heat embossing?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Which embossing buddy for heat embossing?
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
Do you use a powder tool for heat embossing to keep the powder from sticking where it shouldn't?  Are you happy with yours. I use the EK success tool and I have been very unhappy with it.  Heat embossing requires extra patience for me anyhow, so I am looking for something tried and true.  Or maybe mine just is defective?

~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Which embossing buddy for heat embossing?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
I use a little felt bag from Sparkle N Sprinkle. I also have used a little bag ( these bags have powder in them ) from another company ( not sure of the company's name ) and they have both worked well. This picture is of the one from Sparkle N Sprinkle. Looks easy to make.

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
Thanks April. I wonder if the bags apply more powder than the brush.  I will wait and see what others say.  Maybe I should make one ?????
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
I have a bag style too.  I still struggle with stray bits of embossing powder sticking where I don't want it!  I'm wondering if the embossing powder makes a difference? 
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
I use a little packet thing, had it for years.  Works great if I remember to use it.
If I get spots of emb powder where it doesn't belong, and it bothers me.  I just make more spots with flicking brush.  Most of the time I don't care, I think it just looks more home made.  Perfect is not the goal!  You just have to be happy with it. 
Dark em powers are the worst offenders.  Yes the kind of emb does make a difference, but if you already own it you have to use it up.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 08:55:05 PM »
Ummm, I have a little pouch too, but I too have a problem with remembering to use it, sometimes it works great and other times I tend to have problems with still having a few specks.  Maybe you need to use a little more, I noticed when Jennifer McGuire uses hers it seems she uses a lot.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 06:36:10 AM »
Well, I think it sounds like the pouch works better.  The brush does not deliver a lot of power and I think that is the problem.  I often have a LOT of specks, not just a little.  A little would be a big improvement. :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 05:53:44 AM »
Yup, I too use a material bag for removing static from the paper. 

Other heat embossing technique tips I acquired over the years that I feel help minimize the misplaced flecks:

I found the Ranger Craft It heat gun didn’t work well for heat embossing.  I have returned to my Milwaukee Heat gun which I preheat a few seconds before embossing.
I only use fine detail powder for truly thin lined images. Regular powder works great for most of my heat embossing.
I only add embossing powder directly to pigment inks and distress inks. Other dye inks dry too quickly.
I hold the paper when heating to speed the embossing along.
After adding powder to my image I sometimes lightly tap my paper onto my work surface to help release excess powder before heating-but do not flick the back of the paper which sometimes releases more than desired.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 07:58:51 AM »
Thanks for the tips Jan!

So you don't use Versamark ink ever?

The last tip about not flicking -- I do want to just tap the excess powder off, but when using the brush tool, I really HAD TO flick the back to get the powder off.  I think it will help to get the right powder tool :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
I use Versa Mark ink all the time since it is sticky and dries slowly. I heard from Tim Holtz on one of his videos that the Ranger Craft gun was designed only for a drying tool. Then I understood why it never worked well for heat embossing! Who knew, right?  :idiot2:

I think in my little embossing buddy bag they have used cornstarch if you want to make one. It looks like 2 pieces of felt, cornstarch and sewing around the edges.

Hope you find a good one, Heidi!

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 10:57:20 AM »
I was trying to decide if I should open up the brush and use the powder inside it to create a bag, or if I should use something else.

I have a cheap heat gun by Nicole from AC Moore, and I find it works fine for embossing, especially if you heat it up first. I have not tried the ranger one. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »
Heidi said: "So you don't use Versamark ink ever?"

Jan's response... Yes, I do use use embossing ink. Sorry I should have said "whenever I want to heat emboss clear over top of a colorful ink I use pigment inks or distress inks"-sorry I don't know how EP works with the different hybird inks. I know many stampers who don't buy colored embossing powders and choose only use clear EP over the ink color of their choice and and don't worry about stray flecks.
PS. I choose to use Ranger's distress embossing ink. 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, Jan.  Clear embossing powder is a good choice that I sometimes forget about.  Versafine embossed beautifully, so that is a good choice there, but the color palette is limited. 

I have been using gold embossing powder lately and that is hard to duplicate the metallics, and thus, why I asked.

It's great to get so much input on ways to solve a problem!
~~Heidi~~