Author Topic: Gesso Resist Challenge (2/21-03/01) WINNER ANNOUNCED :)  (Read 16699 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: Gesso Resist Challenge (2/21-03/01)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 08:24:54 AM »
Sarah, I love that image! And I think it will be perfect for this with those bold lines.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
I am having a little trouble. I got my image and it dried, then I tried wiping distress ink over top with the baby wipe, but it wiped some of the gesso off too, like it rewet it?  Was it that the gesso wasn't completely dry to begin with or can you rewet it?  This is the first time I have worked with it. I used Faber Castel gesso, it seems fairly thin.  I had no trouble sponging and stamping it. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »
Heidi, it's possible. I haven't tried their gesso but maybe it takes a while to dry. My baby wipe I used was a little dry because I didn't have the packaged closed up well.
LeighAnn

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
Gesso takes longer to dry then you think.  It reminds me of the house paint years ago, where the top would get a skin on it, but under was still wet!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 03:05:09 PM »
I did a card using the gesso resist on the background and broke all the rules (suggestions) while I was doing it.  I used acrylic stamps, I dried the gesso with a heat tool, and I used distress stain and water on top.  I think it turned out pretty good, so apparently breaking the rules works for me.

WF15 Gesso Resist Bird Card.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »
Yankee, you're right. I tried it again and an hour later, it's still a little damp. I need to change my opening post!

Sadie, you rule breaker :D! I love your card and love it even more that you broke the "rules"! That bird is a hoot! Fantastic card:)
LeighAnn

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »
I posted mine in the gallery.  But I have done this before and took me lots of times to get it I way I wanted.  I just love the way the gesso looks like it is part of the background.  My favorite attemps have been the bird in the cage or the tree.
Two tricks in doing this card, use a flat paint brush to apply the gesso to stamp, let dry forever.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
I definitely think part of my problems has been that the gesso isn't sufficiently dry.  Because third time was not the charm.  And after inking it up, I noticed white mixed in with the distress inks smooshed on my craft mat.  So I think I've been pulling up the gesso when applying the top layer of ink.  And I left that piece to dry overnight.   
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 06:51:09 PM »
Yankee, I just love your card! The birdcage turned out excellent!

As for drying times, I'm wondering if paper makes a difference too?
I'm going to experiment with some different papers and see if it makes any difference.

Heidi and Sarah, Im so sorry you all are having trouble. It's frustrating when techniques don't go as planned. I hope your next tries will work out.
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
Here is my combo card.  I wasn't thrilled with the gesso resist bits because I just don't think the white is showing up as much as it should. And the flower on the window box was not done with gesso.

Combo Card
Sarah

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »
I have a confession to make, I asked my hubby when you mentioned we would need Gesso if he had any since he does alot of art work, he said oh yes, well when I asked for it to do this project all he could find was Liquitex Gel Medium in Glossy Heavy gel, well I thought what the heck I will give it a try.... well it is very thick and I had a heck of a time getting it on the stamp well, it dried very thick in some spots and thin in others, so I decided to just use my distress inks to color and not worry about staying in the lines, this is my attempt:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1101#top_display_media

Sorry I didn't use gesso but wanted to try it and not wait for getting out to a store.  I let mine dry over night, but some of it still peeled off a bit when adding the distress inks.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
Connie yours is beautiful. I have some Liquitex Flexible modeling paste, I wonder if I should just give it a try too.  Although I am hoping my latest gesso piece will work!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »
It would be worth giving it a try :)

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »
I leave mine dry overnight, but it is dry here in the desert.  I have read that wet areas take longer.
Yes the thickness of the paper does make a difference.  This one I used watercolor paper and it still dryed overnight.
The first time I tried this was with another group and I did several attempts all terrible.  The next challenge was a year later and someone offered a site with a video.  The lady said you must let it dry overnight.  So I did and I love the results.  I keep trying different papers and different stuff over the gesso.  I tried ink, paint, gelatoes, and now watercolor.  I have been happy with all I have made.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 06:10:03 PM »
Thanks Leigh Ann I had lots of fun with your challenge.  I decided I wanted to create my resist on paper from a dictionary page-yup so thin you can see the writing on the back side.  My Liquitex gesso is very thick so I mixed well with my palette knife on my craft sheet before brushing a thin layer on my stamp.  It dried in a few moments with the encouragement of the heat gun.  Swiped distress stain over the entire piece and dried.  Brush a light coat of Golden Gold fluid acrylic piece over the top and dried.  Wiped with a damp rag over the entire piece.  Love the highlights of gold!  Thanks for hosting Leigh Ann!

Here is my link,
...Jan

PS...Hope you looked close enough to see the printed dictionary page through the gesso and a tad of the gold paint on the sides of the flower.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:58:37 PM by Far North »