Author Topic: Winner Announced*** WF16:Quick and Easy  (Read 11023 times)

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
Re: NOW Posted Warm-up Activity-WF16:Quick and Easy
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »
Ok, l did it.  I set the timer and did first one and no problems.  And did a smaller one same way.
Second one gave me some problems, but able to fix it and now the timer went off before I inked edges of second one .  Plowed on and did the third, had to do it twice maybe my brain dead by them or something.  Still not happy with that one.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 04:48:18 PM »
I got an answer to my sanding question, I found it on another of Tammy Tutterow's Medicine cabinet tutorials (cosmetic sponge).

To sand, I hold the tag in my hand and brush the sandpaper on the edges.  (Never sand on your craft sheet, it will damage the surface.)

Anxious to see your background Lovepug!

I just tried the mottled technique (untimed, for fun).  I'll post later tonight.
Cindi

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 05:02:36 PM »
Ok, here it is! I did the third one. If time permits, I'd like to try the others as well!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2314&message_id=01d66e334d7d1a7596a452c743d6d97a&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Yankee, looking forward to seeing yours and your mottled one too Cindi!

Thanks Jan for hosting a fun warm uo challenge! I haven't had a chance to play with the spray yet so your challenge was a good start! I got sidetracked and watched her ink blending video. Great tips there, I always struggle with it.
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 05:40:08 PM »
LeighAnn--thanks for sharing so much!

Tammy is a wealth of information!...she coordinated the sizzix design team for several years then coordination social media for a several month until she recently decide to design some of her own products and is currently working with Spellbinders.  At the recent CHA she release her first products.  She loves incorporating fabrics and sewing into her projects.  She has recently worked on changes on her website...perhaps she closed the comments on these tutorials.

Cindi...so glad you found your answers...I wrote out responses twice but the disappeared both times before I could hit post.

I will share my toothbrush experience in my next post.

Yankee I sure hope we soon get to see your pictures...sounds like you had fun.

...Jan

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:13:02 PM by Far North »

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
I've gathered my supplies and am going to start.
Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
I am starting now too.......see in you 20!
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 08:40:58 PM »
Ok that was fun and interesting.  I did the toothbrush challenge and then scored and inked to make it look more like wood.  I hope that is ok to keep going to make it look a little different then what the tutorial looked.

Here is my sample.  Thank you for looking.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
Here's my tags.

Quick and Easy Tags

I did the mottled look.  It worked fairly well, but I should have die cut my tags from a thicker paper (I used regular cardstock).  Also I used regular acrylic paint for the blue one but gloss acrylic enamel for the pink one.  Inking the edges didn't really work with the gloss paint.  For the blue one, I started using the make-up sponge to apply the base layer and that did not work well for me, so I switched to a brush.  And I heat gunned the base layer.  I forgot to do that on the pink one and ended up with a bit of cotton ball stuck to the tag.

This was fun and I will definitely do it again.

After time was up, I tried the slotchy look and it was an epic fail.  I used a perfect pearls mister.  It did not work at all. 

Thanks for another fun and fast warm-up challenge.

Oh, and I can't seem to leave a comment on Tammy's blog.

Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
Great work on this challenge today!  Love that many of you continued to work on the tutorials after the time was up. And many worked on additional efforts to work through problems you faced in the first try.
Often we don't have all the suggested supplies and a few more tests are needed to create results that make you smile....and sometimes you don't know for sure until you add layers to put it to use.  Your efforts are applauded.

I too had my issues in trying out the weathered wood/toothbrush technique to see if I wanted to include it in this activity.  My problem was I had a toothbrush with bristles that are mainly at 2 different levels and the front ones were even slightly longer.  I had no idea how it painted so I used my first test to see what basic strokes with it would look like.  They were very wide and intense but I also  learned how to use it for narrower lines.  Below you see the results of my second try.  I used chipped sapphire and brushed pewter.  I think the pewter was interesting but IRL it is silvery and sparkly and takes away from the weathered look.  So I too am ready for another experiment with the toothbrush!  I hope if you have the opportunity to use your backgrounds in a WF challenge and you enjoy seeing it in a card!

Looking forward to seeing what others create in this activity tomorrow!  Thanks again for playing and sharing!...Jan
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:46:02 AM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
Okay I am ready! It is 10:30 am Saturday!

April ;D

Now finished! 10:48 am

Getting ready to post them in the gallery!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:50:19 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »
I am ready to set my timer.  Here I go

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 09:46:38 AM »
I uploaded my Mottled Tags this morning.  I like the results.  I kind of laughed at the tag on the right with the tarnished brass paint  :laughhard:  It reminds me of when sponge painted walls were popular.  There were some kind of ugly walls around! 

I'm loving what I see in the gallery!  Sadie, that was a great idea to add scored lines and a little extra espresso ink!  Sarah, you mentioned having trouble inking the edges.  Did you sand the edges first?  It could be that your craft paint went on thicker than distress paint and might require more sanding?

Thanks Jan!  I had fun playing with these techniques.  I hope we see some of these backgrounds turn up in projects soon.
Cindi

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
Done and still 3 or 4 minutes left on the timer.  I had everything ready, except my craft mat and that was my fault.  I should be using the remaining minutes to clean up.  Will upload in a few.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 10:02:42 AM »
Okay, here are my 2 tags - one using the mottled tech. and the other using the splotchy tech. I enjoyed them both and they went quick and easy! I do want to try the first one sometime later. Thanks for the fun challenge! I do like her tutorials because they are easy and easy to understand.

April ;D

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2324#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
Nothing like the last minute!  I am going to start now! I do still need to read the tutorial.   :D :idiot2: ::)
~~Heidi~~