Author Topic: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge – 2021  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge – 2021
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2021, 12:31:03 PM »
Awesome cards Connie and April!  You are on a roll!

I finally got started.  I'm so slow.  Just two cards completed, but it's a start. 
I joined the Card Makers Success Summit mentioned by Daria.  These are based on Therese Calvird's presentation.  I like the 2nd card better.  The poinsettia comes out a little smaller when you use the largest layer as leaves, but I like it, and I trimmed down the top panel so maybe it wouldn't look too small.  It's all Connie's fault that I own a poinsettia die set!  Ha!  I liked her Christmas card so much last year, that I bought a poinsettia die, only to find out it's not the one she used, but hey, it works.

I tried a technique that was new to me.  I don't think I've ever used dies to emboss only.  I've embossed dies after die cutting them (to show details, or highlight the edge) but I've never just embossed them to make a background.  I like it!  Also, I'm glad I got to use the splat box I purchased recently and my Gansai Tambi's ... they were expensive and I misread the price when I purchased them, but they really do add nice sparkle.

Poinsettia card 1

Poinsettia card 2

Thanks so much for this challenge Daria!  I hope to watch more videos for more inspiration and maybe make a few cards based off each.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 12:34:21 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2021, 01:52:49 PM »
Cindi, it was fun to see cards that were inspired by a video from that class.  I love Therese Calvird's work.  Your cards turned out beautifully.

Connie, I loved your cards when I saw them in the gallery; thank you for posting them here.

April,  your cards are wonderful, as always. 

Thank you, everyone, for participating.

I'm still at my sister's house.

Daria

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2021, 09:14:28 PM »
Daria, here are more cards for your fun challenge.  They are such fun to make. 

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5446#top_display_media

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2021, 09:15:53 PM »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2021, 11:35:19 PM »
Nora, I love the way your stitched-tree cards turned out--so pretty!  Thanks for playing.  Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2021, 07:53:16 AM »
Three more cards for me. I don’t know if I will work on more elf cards today or if I will clean up my desk in prep for the zoom meeting tomorrow.   

Looks like many have been doing well with their cards this month!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5448#top_display_media
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2021, 08:40:03 AM »
Three more, Heidi, and they are so bright and cheerful.  Did you use an embossing folder on the red mat or did the paper come that way?  It looks like the Stampin' Up Petals a Plenty embossing folder. 

Daria

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2021, 09:29:10 AM »
Using the June theme of candle I made a candle to go into a Lantern die a girl that comes to my blog sent me during my foot surgery, adding a little bit of greenery to give it a Christmas feel.  I love how are other punches and dies can become other things, I used my leaf punch for the flame and just inked it up.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5449#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2021, 10:02:06 AM »
Three more, Heidi, and they are so bright and cheerful.  Did you use an embossing folder on the red mat or did the paper come that way?  It looks like the Stampin' Up Petals a Plenty embossing folder. 

Daria

Yes, the red mat is embossed with a Sizzix folder. I forgot about that when I was posting. I thought it was a Tim Holtz one but it is not labeled as such and I don’t keep records of embossing folder names.  Thank you.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
Connie, you are so lucky to have that wonderful lantern die; it's beautiful.  I love the way you used tools and supplies you already had to create this card. 

Heidi, that embossing folder was the perfect one to use on your card.

Everyone, I am home now.  I just opened a letter from PG&E informing me that they are replacing the power pole (I think the one in front of my house) tomorrow, and I will be without electricity from 8 am to 4 pm.  I guess I should have stayed at my sister's for a couple more days.  lol.  If nothing happens to prevent them from doing that, I won't be checking in tomorrow.  No WiFi. 

Daria 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2021, 09:53:49 AM »
Here is my card from last night’s zoom.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5450#top_display_media

I plan to take inventory of all the bits and pieces leftover from all the techniques we did last night as I clean up my desk today. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2021, 01:59:58 PM »
Oh no Daria!  I hope it is not unbearably hot there with no power, thus no A/C.  You're right, too bad you didn't know in advance and you could have stayed with your sister.

Heidi, I love your card!  The zoom was fun.  I need to finish mine up still.

I just want to let you know, I am really enjoying the Card Maker Success Summit.  I'm finding new people to follow on youtube and getting some new ideas.  I don't think it's too late to sign up for the free version.  You will have access to the classes for 24 hours.  They started at 10am this morning.  Daria posted a link near the beginning of this thread.
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2021, 02:53:54 PM »
Cindi, they didn't come to replace the pole so I didn't lose power.  Actually, it's downright cold here.  Good thing because we don't have air-conditioning.  Until recently, we didn't need it.  We only had a couple of really hot days all year long.  Things have changed.

I'm so glad that you are enjoying the Card Maker Success Summit.  I watched an extra video on YouTube this morning that was posted a couple of days ago.  I'm glad that they are using YouTube since I don't have or want Facebook.

Heidi, I love your card!  I hope to see more cards from the Zoom meeting.

Daria

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2021, 02:48:23 PM »
I've been watching videos like crazy the last few days as part of the Card Makers Success Summit.  Lots of inspiring presentations. 
In between videos (and late at night, ha!) I've been working on these poinsettia cards inspired by the first video I watched, Therese Calvird's "Next Level Die Cutting".  I have a total of 10 poinsettia cards now including the two I posted earlier.  This time I used embossing folders for the backgrounds, played with framing/matting and varied the centers of my poinsettias (micro beads, seed bead mix, gems).  I also remembered I have Heidi Swapp Gold Color Shine so I used that instead of mixing up watercolor for spattering.  I tried all different methods of applying it, from spraying it directly (I didn't keep that one, it's a nice look but not what I was going for this time), to putting the liquid on a palette and using a fan brush, to taking the sprayer off and using the straw end to spatter it.  Lots of playing this week, which was a little different for me.  Usually when I'm making multiples they are exactly the same ... this time they are all just a little bit different and it was fun.

Very Merry
Merry Christmas
insides

Thanks for the challenge Daria, and thanks for mentioning the Card Maker Success Summit!
Cindi