Author Topic: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge, 2014  (Read 14593 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge, 2014
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:47:08 PM »
Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge -- 2014

Some of us have gotten a head start on our holiday cards by participating in Cindi's Christmas All Year! Challenge.  This month, I'm taking over for Cindi by offering our yearly Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge.

The Challenge:  

You have almost a full month--July 3 through July 31--to post your new winter holiday cards in the appropriate Challenge Album in the gallery and link them to this Discussion Thread.  (Since I don't even know how to do that here yet, I'll be very lax about that rule.  I know we're all learning the ropes.  However, you must report in on the discussion thread and tell us about your cards.) The challenge ends on July 31 at 11:59 pm PDT.

Remember you must enter only new cards--nothing you made or posted prior to July 3, the first day of the challenge.  If you have a special technique you'd like to use that does not include stamping, your card will still count.  It would be nice to combine stamping with other techniques, but sometimes that isn't feasible, and I want your cards to be something you will love.  So your paste-embossed, embroidered, stenciled, Iris folded, etc. cards are welcome.

Requirements:

1. Complete the tasks as described in this challenge.

2. When you post your card in the gallery, please label it with the name of the appropriate holiday and add the words "in July." For example, Christmas in July, Hanukkah in July, Kwanzaa in July, etc.

3. When you post your project in the gallery, describe it. Tell how you made it and what you used.  Space is limited so feel free to streamline your comments.  Maybe you could make a listing, for example:
  • Stamps:
    Cardstock/Papers:
    Card Size:
    Inks/Coloring Medium:
    Accessories:
    Technique:

I tried this out on the card I posted earlier, and it works fine.  Check it out:  Bicycle Card

Next, come back to this Discussion Thread to link your post here and to tell us how it went--the good and the bad.  This is where we'll have the space we need to describe the process. 

Combining Challenges:

You can combine this challenge with another challenge as long as the host of the other challenge will also allow it.

Prize:

There will be a prize awarded at the end of the challenge.  Your name will go into the hat once for every card you post in the gallery and link to the discussion thread. OK. I already know that the next question is do I get my name in the hat 10 times if I make 10 of the same card. I'll say you can get your name in the hat up to three times for multiples of the same design. Fair enough? There's no limit to the number of different cards you can post. You'll get credit for each different card.

I hope you'll join us and begin making your December holiday cards.  We can inspire and motivate each other.  Don't forget to have fun!

Daria
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:36:46 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge, 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:30:17 AM »
Sounds great!   All these new challenges are perfect to get me creating

And to help us allearn the new site.

Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what you post, Heidi.  I usually make a ton of Christmas cards in July, and lots of cards get posted to this challenge.  I hope it helps a bunch of us to make a significant contribution to our winter holiday cards.

I pulled out some focal images I worked on with Nora a few weeks ago.  I just need to figure out how to incorporate them into cards.  But first, I have to finish the latest Outlander book; it's due back at the library this Saturday, and I'm only halfway through the 822 pages.

Daria

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
Daria, I certainly hope to participate in your challenge!  I am really behind in my Christmas Card making for this year, and I sure need to get busy!  Thanks for the challenge!

Nora S

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »
OK.  I went back to the card I posted in the gallery.  When I tried to put in everything I had originally said to describe the supplies and process, it only printed out my introduction.  OK.  You can stop laughing now!

Anyway, I tried what I had suggested in the challenge post--just list the information.  That worked great.  I used the same list, slightly modified, that they use at Splitcoaststampers:

• Stamps:
    Cardstock/Papers:
    Project Size:
    Inks/Coloring Medium:
    Accessories:
    Technique:

I might have had room to separate inks and coloring medium--not sure.  This worked.  I could list all the pertinent stuff.  Any description of the process or other comments (for example, Thank you, Ann, for the stamped images you sent me.) can go in the discussion thread.

I added this information to the challenge post.

HTH.
Daria

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 11:35:14 PM »
Daria, I read your post above before I added my stars and stripes card for Daniel's challenge in the gallery and was a little concerned about the space issue you mentioned.  However when I was not finished writing my description on the last line in view...white space was added line by line as I typed.  It looks like lots more space could be used if needed. Thought you might want to know. I sure am learning lots of new things here but most of it is very user friendly with lots of special thanks to Sadie!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:40:16 PM by Far North »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 07:21:25 AM »
Jan, when I first added my bicycle card, there was enough space to copy and paste everything that was on the original gallery post at Two Peas, but then when I was finished, only the first few lines showed up in the gallery here.  Hmmm.  Are you saying that I could have scrolled down to see the rest of the message?

OK.  I'm going to go add the second bicycle card and try that out.  Thanks.  Daria

ETA:  Well,  I uploaded the second card and copied and pasted everything.  I got an error message saying that the file was too big, that I was allowed 1000 KB.  So I erased it all and copied and pasted the information on the first card I posted here; I got the same message.  So I started deleting stuff from that post, and each time I got the same error message.  I finally deleted everything and wrote one sentence, "See first card for details."  I still got the error message.  Not sure what that was about--another computer gremlin.  I wonder if it was because this time I was trying to put it into my Personal Album instead of the Challenge Album.  I'll try again later.

Daria
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:34:43 AM by djc »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »
Daria, No I was trying to say that when you are typing you box continues to open more space as needed.  You will not have as much space here as 2P...folks generally write a description of the project instead a step by step tutorial.

Did you check the size of your picture?...perhaps it is taking up too much space. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:23:22 AM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
When you upload a card to the gallery you must choose an album.  Personal albums is a heading not an actual album.  If you don't click on an actual album (Cards, etc) you will not be able to upload a project, you will apparently be told your file is too big when actually you are trying to put your project where you can't.

Try again and click on one of the actual albums......like one of the challenges or cards, tags, ect.

I hope this helps explain a little better what happened djc.

I will have to try with longer text in a description and see what happens, too. Maybe it is that your picture size is too big but the gallery is supposed to be set up to resize uploads, or something isn't right here. I will need to do some testing and see what happens.

Ok I uploaded a couple tags using a stampers user group and my own user name.  In the description I can't see the entire thing when I am uploading but it shows up when I continue after adding the image and description.  I used the entire text from the post on how to attache pictures to the forum and it all showed up.  Maybe if you type out the description for your card in Word or Note Pad (which is found under accessories on your Windows computer) to actually write your description and then copy and paste it into the description box.  Then after your upload is successful edit the project and insert spaces and whatnot, because then you can see the entire description.  

Linky
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:22:11 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »
I was looking to see if we had a Christmas card challenge up yet for July and I was happy to see this! YEAH! I will be working on my cards next weekend! Thanks for the challenge.

Stampwilly

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
Daria - just the motivation I need to get starting on my Christmas cards.  I don't think I've made any this year.  :D

Sadie - you're awesome. 
Sarah

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 06:22:34 PM »
I'm so happy to see some interest in the challenge.

Thank you, one and all, for your help with my problems posting in the gallery.  It is very weird.  Now that I have done it correctly, I have no idea how the first card ever got posted.

#1.  I did not resize the first card (red bicycle).  It was 1.45mb, and it posted.  As Sadie said, the program here did the resizing. 
#2.  I never did click on a continue/edit button.  I just copy and pasted my description in the comment box under the picture.  I never did get to the page where we're suppose to add the comments when I posted the first card. 

For the second card (the blue bike), I followed Sadie's instructions item by item.   There is no "continue" button so I clicked on the "edit" button, and that brought me to the page where I could post a title and description.  I also resized the card since it did not resize automatically and would not post.  I thought 1.45 mb was small, but it's more than the entire 1000 kb allowed.  Once it was resized, I was able to post comments.

Thank you!  Now, I'm off to see if I can put a link to the gallery post on Sadies' Gallery Challenge.

Daria

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »
Someone mentioned thinking about starting a blog, I looked into that and also checked with Sandy at Operation Write Home, about uploading cards to OWH and her suggestion was

"The easiest is to create a Pinterest account. http://pinterest.com and then you can upload it to there and get the url to link to the challenge."  I have done that and uploaded one card.

That might help any who are thinking about starting a blog or website.

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 07:43:29 PM »
Thank you, Ann.  I just lurk on Pinterest so I didn't know you could upload your own work there.

I had thought about starting a blog as a way to save the explanations that I wrote out in the Two Peas Gallery and have a place to continue to write out details.  It helps me to remember what I did, how I did it, and share that information with others.  I have it all saved to my computer, but that's something I can't share with others unless I attach the document to an email--not a very efficient way to dispense information. 

When you uploaded your card to Pinterest, did you just click on it to save it there or were you able to add comments?  Doesn't it have to be posted on line somewhere to save something on Pinterest?

Thanks for the information.
Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 09:46:48 PM »
I finished three Christmas cards today, but I need to go to the store to buy more batteries for the camera.  I'll post them tomorrow.

Daria