Author Topic: Oldies Challenge -- August -- WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 9594 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Oldies Challenge -- August
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
Bless your heart, Ann! I can so understand why 'working up the nerve' to do &/or show is nothing to sneeze at. Along with so many artists, we share a common concern--"What if 'they' don't like it?" "What if they laugh at my stuff?" And there are loads more possible unpleasant responses to sharing our work.

It's easy to say just 'do it'! But I do know that sharing takes effort & I am pleased that you are continuing to make the effort.
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »
Ann, I am so glad you tried my challenge! Your card is lovely. We all have those times that we have trouble with a card, but keep on trying and things will work out. You did a great job!

Stampwilly ;D

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 04:30:58 PM »
Here is one of my cards for the vellum challenge ---the other is drying…   ;D

This one I tried a different layout than what is in my comfort zone:

Pincushion card

Heidi, this is the card I didn't know what sentiment to put with it so I left blank.

When Stampwilly said she was hosting a vellum challenge I know right away what I wanted to try after seeing an email I received from somewhere using this technique--embossing the back of the vellum to turn it white or raise certain areas up on the other side. 

I have a little fawn I stamped to but didn't make into a card that I'll post today or tomorrow to show too.

Thanks April for hosting this vellum challenge!
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 05:37:15 PM »
Melissa, I just love what you did with the vellum and I really want to try it!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »
WTG, Melissa! Now that you've made that step outside your comfort zone, you might want to check out an embossed-vellum technique called Pergamano. It's a method of embossing & piercing vellum to produce incredible lace & more.
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
Melissa, your card is so pretty and I love the techniques you used on your image. Thanks for doing my challenge! :smile:

Stampwilly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »
Thank y'all!  And I am looking up that technique Daniel---sounds so pretty!

I'll post the other two today later on.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
Heidi, I was going to mention and forgot, that I have to try  out a few of my vellums…but they were from different companies.  The first was from Martha Stewart vellum ROLL--I am not sure how she meant for this to be used but it was the first vellum I ever saw/bought and I bought it probably 6 years ago at least and I use it once in a while---it's a pain to use b/c after you cut off a piece off the roll, it will roll up since that was how it was stored.  I have to heat it and un roll it and lay between books.   :ticked off: 

Anyways, when I started doing this technique with MS vellum, it would crack always!  and so I went and got out a Recollections vellum piece I have and it was fine---well you could still crack it if you really press but it was pretty good with the pressure.  The last was a thick vellum sheet (large too--poster board size) I bought from Hobby Lobby on clearance in the drafting section (I didn't' know they had vellum in the drafting section) and it too will take the pressure.

SO I am not sure if vellum can go "bad" or not or if it is just the quality of the vellum from the Martha Stewart roll----good thing I only paid $0.01 for it!!---seriously it was a penny!  When things have been clearances for a LONG time at Michaels, things will go to a penny (or they used too) and they are suppose to take them off the shelf and donate, but once in a while you find a penny item and according to something I read, they are suppose to sale it to you.  NOw with my Martha Stewart roll the girl didn't care and thought it was cool I was paying only a penny.   :o  It was the first time I ever saw a penny clearance at Michaels. 

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
This is the deer I stamped though didn't use, but still wanted to show.

deer piece

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
And this is the wedding card I made with vellum over PP.  I like how it gives it a nice soft look.

wedding card

Great challenge Stampwilly!!  TY!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »
I'm finally posting my vellum pieces.

Vellum Circle
For this one, I die cut the vellum and attached it to the second die cut circle with ribbon, which solves the pesky how do you hide the adhesive dilemma.

Pumpkin Girl
I used the vellum to make it look like the jack-o-lantern is lit up.

Funky Leaves
Thanks to this challenge, I finally used this embossed colored vellum, which has been in my stash for years. 

Thanks for a great challenge Willy.  Now I need to go check out the rest of the projects everyone else has done.
Sarah

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
I finally caught up on all the fabulous vellum pieces you guys created.  Wow.  You guys are awesome and I definitely need to try some of those techniques.

I know I'm a bit late to the how to attach vellum discussion, but here's my 2 cents anyway.  I bought a runner of "vellum adhesive" years ago, I think by TomBow, and I was less than impressed.  You could still see it.  What I usually do is attach with glue dots and add gems or pearls or stickles to hid the dots.  I've also used eyelets or brads and skipped the adhesive all together. 
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »
Thanks to all who did my challenge! I love all the wonderful ways you used it. I will be announcing a winner tomorrow and putting up a new oldies challenge for September. I hope to see some more wonderful creations!

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
Sarah, your entries are fantastic!  Very creative, I enjoyed looked at them.

Oh my!  I guess I didn't realize there would be a winner for this challenge.  I really enjoyed this I am looking forward to the next challenge. 

PS: I did have some success with the vellum embossing technique that Melissa did, but my vellum did not get as bright white as hers. I am pretty sure I bought my vellum at AC Moore a couple years ago. I have both pastel and white.  I also "lost" some of the whiteness when I applied it to cardstock, and then later ruined the whole thing.  However, I definitely will be working on it.  I think stamp choice may have also played a part. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Oldies Challenge -- August -- WINNER ANNOUNCED
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
Okay Everyone!  We have a winner this month for this challenge!  I put all the names in a bowl and pulled out

#>   this name

MELISSA!                  Congratulations! ;D

Melissa, please send me a message with your address so I can get out your RAK. Please send it soon because I will be going on a trip on Wednesday.
Thanks for doing my challenge. I will be posting September's oldies challenge soon!

Stampwilly