Author Topic: Oldies Challenge -- October  (Read 6704 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Oldies Challenge -- October
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
Looking forward in seeing your projects, Daniel and Sadie. I am thinking about next month's Oldies challenge. I have a few things in mind.

Stampwilly

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 11:07:31 PM »
I posted my challenge cards in the gallery.  The 1st cards are here.     And my other card is here.
Thanks April for the creative fun!
...Jan
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:13:44 PM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
All your cards are terrific, Jan. BUT... The crows' one just blows me away. It is so lovely. Especially the way you used the resist to create elements of the composition---Wonderful!
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »
Jan, how did you get that little bit of light purple running through your raven scene?  It is so pretty! 

I'll post my card when I'm finished and also my experiments tomorrow or Tuesday. 

I will say that I personally found that some crayon colors were better at drawing onto glossy CS and photo paper than other colors.  I used both papers to do the challenge.  I found that my Blue crayon was soft and worked wonderfully, but that Hunter Green was too hard to really leave good marks….same with different oranges and yellows..

~~Melissa :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
Jan, your cards are wonderful! Thanks for trying the resist in different ways.

Stampwilly

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »
I did two groups of 4 cards.  One group I used a white crayon and multi colored autumn ink pad.  I used stayzon ink on both groups and the same multi colored ink pad brayered onto the glossy Kodak photo paper.  One group I used the actual colors like orange, red, and yellow.  Then after the brayered ink dried I rubbed the crayon off of both sets of cards which left an interesting look on the ones colored with the colored crayons.

Colored Crayon Resist Cards

White Crayon Resist Cards

Thank you for looking.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 06:45:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing Sadie!...your use of photo paper looked like it worked great.  These cards would make nice gift sets!

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »
I'm working on this today! Love working with crayons!
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 12:44:58 PM »
...I will say that I personally found that some crayon colors were better at drawing onto glossy CS and photo paper than other colors.  I used both papers to do the challenge.  I found that my Blue crayon was soft and worked wonderfully, but that Hunter Green was too hard to really leave good marks….same with different oranges and yellows..

That's very interesting, Melissa. Although I use mostly Crayola, I have worked with other wax crayons & not found them as easy to use. But (like you) I do find that my Crayolas can vary in softness & such from color to color. Since I'm sure the basic formula is the same, I wonder what the variable is. And I'm not talking about the specialty crayons--gellie, metallic, etc. Just the regular ones.
Daniel

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »
I would venture to say that the difference in the crayons softness, hardness, willingness to go onto card stock would have something to do with whatever they use to make the actual color. Assuming of course we are talking one brand.

I am sure between brands there are differences due to the type of wax and stuff each manufacturer uses.

These are great! Was hoping to have time to try one but it looks like not.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »
I too was thinking the crayon softness may be due to what ever they use for the colorant.  I was using Crayola crayons and I went searching for my neon orange, since that is what it looked like April used in her example on her blog.  But I could not find them! 

I remember when I was a younger I did not like the neon/metallics colors or "off brand" crayons b/c I did n't like the way they colored----I though they were too light and they didn't "feel" right (I liked the smooth feeling I thought Crayons gave) when I colored (had the same thing happen with pencils---I loved lead pencils over graphite.  Now I'm not sure they really were lead pencils later on due to health concerns, but the package stated it was).  I colored with what ever crayons were there in front of me, but if there was Crayola crayons, I would pick them up first.  So funny to think about having that kind of discernment over crayons as a child!  lol!   ;D
~~Melissa :)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 08:59:14 AM »
That's so interesting about the crayons! Melissa, I was the same way!

I was nosing through DS crayons yesterday and he has some craZart ones and I was impressed at their smoothness when coloring. I remember hating that brand as a kid!

I had one failed attempt when I tried this techniques with alcohol inks. I started another piece and it's almost finished.
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
From Melissa-"Jan, how did you get that little bit of light purple running through your raven scene?  It is so pretty!"

Thanks Melissa for complimenting the pink-purple section of the sky.  I wanted to really add that since that is what we see this time of year.  I used distress ink and sponged in that narrow area with a very small piece of cosmetic sponge and masking the blue to keep the colors separate.   TFA!...Ian

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »
I am hoping to get my entry in before the deadline! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 10:13:31 PM »
Sadie, your cards turned out great! Thanks for doing my challenge. Everyone has done a great job. I hope I see a few more tomorrow. I hope ya'll will like the next challenge.

Stampwilly