Author Topic: Carving your own stamp  (Read 1479 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Carving your own stamp
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »
Has anyone carved their own stamps before?  what did you carve and what materials did you use?

I have a few carving tips and am going to give it a try after I figure out what to do and also what image I want to do, but wondered what everyone else's experience was with the subject. 

TIA!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Carving your own stamp
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
Julie Fen-Fei Balzer comes to mind as a current leader in stamp carving.  She has tons of posts on her blog showing her continuous activities in the craft.   Here is a link Here is a link.     (click on Older Posts at the bottom of each page to see more of her work.  She is the author of a book, teaches classes and has an online course too.

Michelle Ward, rubber stamp designer  (sold by Stampington) and also carver tutorial on her blog  which combines many published articles.

There are many U-tube videos online to explain how to get started carving stamps including one by Anne Gaal. 

Note: There are now many folks who love to make U-tube videos and create them but have very little experience in the topic they are sharing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:53:47 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
Thank you Jan!!   :smitten: :smitten:  Lol! 

Yesterday I was going through the stamp books and magazines…not sure why I didn't think of youtube etc.  (sometimes I have a one track mind!) lol! 

Both links are so neat---lots of info! TY!! 

I think I made do a star to begin…that seems like a simple shape to begin with.   :D

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:57:40 AM »
Jan, when I was looking over Julie Fen-Fei Balzer's website you recommended, I noticed her stamping book ("Carve, Stamp, Play")  she has out right now and it looked so familiar.  Then I remembered that I had read it last month at an art store!  it was a good book too….it not only showed how to carve stamps, but she also had ideas for creating and techniques she used.  Neat to see here blog too! 

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
Julie Fei-Fan Blazer
has announced she will be making a stamp daily in December. 
I am going to try to play a little.