Author Topic: Gesso????????  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
Gesso????????
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
If I where to decide to try this product...

What product do I buy

Best method that you have used

Suggestions?

Thanks- I really know very little, if anything about this product and how to use.

Ann

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Re: Gesso????????
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
I am interested in this also. And is gesso anything like embossing paste? feels like a dumb question, LOL

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »
The main function of gesso is to be a primer under acrylic paints.  It prevents the paint from going through the surface you are working on and therefore saves one $.  There are some special techniques that can be done with gesso but for some of them embossing paste can be substituted.  I recommend you checkout this thread that was started out a few months back that includes gesso in a discussion of embossing pastes and similar products. 

Do know Lovepug2 wrote that she wanted to do a gesso challenge/swap in the near future...keep an eye open for it.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »
I was looking at gesso today at Michaels.  They have more than one brand. I was surprised how expensive it was for a smallish jar.  I haven't purchased any yet. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:59:50 PM »
That for the info about the previous thread.  I looked and I do have the Deamweaver Embossing Pastes.  They can be purchased from craft shows and on line.  Don't know about stores.    I think I will try that before I buy the gesso.

Thanks for comments on this thread.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:28:18 PM »
There are lots and lots of brands of gesso. The kind I have is from liquitex. I bought it a few years ago from Micahels with a coupon.

I do plan to host a challenge, I was going to do so sometimes this month but I thought if we do a winter stamping party to maybe save it for then?

I have always used it for priming canvases but starting using it a couple of years ago with stamping too. I love using it as a resist. I have found that it works best with red rubber stamps. I just use a foam brush to paint it onto my stamp then stamp it on to watercolor or Bristol paper. Let the gesso dry, it's pretty quick. Next I blend either inks or gelatos over the piece. Wipe off excess ink with a baby wipe when done.

Make sure you wash your stamps off immediately so the gesso doesn't become difficult to remove.

Here are a couple of cards I've done using gesso -
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=886

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=887
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:48:28 PM by lovepug2 »
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »
Thank you LeighAnn for the step-by-step on how to use with stamping! 

Ann I bought the Artist Loft brand...though I have only got to use it a couple times and one time it did crack--though I think it's b/c it was spread over some heat embossing powder and that uneven surface cracked it I guess. 
~~Melissa :)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »
Melissa I haven't tried that brand yet but that could be a possibility with the EP.

LeighAnn