Author Topic: How to use this stamp. Please help.  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
How to use this stamp. Please help.
« on: January 14, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »
I am asking your help on this card.   Found this stamp in my stash and had put it in the give away pile, but thought I would try it.  So what I did (and it looks very childish was to add colors around the stamped image with colored pencils.  One big error, I started to color the iris yellow, when I meant to do it in purple (so forgive that error).  Please share how you would use this stamp.  This board will be the deciding factor if I keep it or donate it.  Thanks for any suggestions and/or comments.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: How to use this stamp. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
Here is the gallery link.  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=899#top_display_media

I think the stamp kindof looks like a stenciled image.

So, I think I would color it with water based markers and then stamp it.  If you don't have stamping markers, a set of crayola markers would work fine.  It is hard to know how large the stamp is from the photo.

The other thing I would try is heat embossing it maybe in different colors, or just doing white and then doing a watercolor technique around the stamp. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »
This image looks like the manufacture was trying to give you 4 stamps in one.  O0  One thing I might would do (if you can---- if it's unmounted or a clear stamp) is cut the flowers apart from the leaves--thus you'd have 4 stamps after separating them---that way you can stamp the leaves and then stamp all tulips or all daffodils etc (or mix them as well, as it is currently).  If you cannot cut the stamp (or do not want to go through the trouble), I would only ink parts of the flower image----the flower heads are floating above the stems so you do not have to worry about getting the flower attached to the leaves perfectly.

I can see what Heidi means that it looks like a stencil....that could give you ideas to google and look on Pintrest for how flower stencils are being used and then use similarly. 

To me it reminds me of silhouette stamps....and for those types of stamps, I usually do one of the following:

1. heat emboss the silhouette stamp and then color over the embossed image with distress inks or watercolor---to me, the emphasis here is not really coloring the flowers but rather coloring the BG and the flowers are showcased in front of that BG.   

2. make a BG of any technique (you could use the bargello, for example) and set aside.  Stamp your flower stamp onto a separate CS of any solid color (and with any ink color or type) and then either fussy cut or die cut the flower image out of the CS.  Place the prepared flower imaged onto the BG. 

3.  if you have stamp markers----color the stamp itself with the stamp markers before stamping (remember to breath on the stamp first before stamping)---and in this case, the use of the stamp markers is to color the flower image itself, so I'd then use a neutral BG as the base to stamp the flower onto. 

4.  if you have watercolor pencils or watercolor paints, you could color around the embossed image and then apply water---similarly to what you were doing with the colored pencils.  I was thinking with this idea, that maybe using a different media combined with your original idea of coloring around the flower might achieve something you like more (at least sometimes it does for me).  Also, I would stamp the flower again as you did and instead color the "sky" or BG and see if you like the results more. 

As with my suggestion of googling stencils, here is a google search for "silhouette stamps cards" HERE, but click on IMAGES as the top and scroll through the images and notice how they are used.

And my one last idea, is to search online for that stamp itself--if you know the name or maker--and see what others have done with it--that is if anyone has posted anything. 

HTH!

~~Melissa :)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »
I think it might be a reverse stamp.  The flower and leaves are higher than the base.  I will do some searching on line.

Thanks for your remarks.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »
I agree with Melissa, if you can separate the flowers out from the leaves, you can then add the flowers separately and have all tulips, all dafodills, etc.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
Is this a foam stamp?  If so are there slight marks between the flowers and the leaves where to break or cut apart into 4 stamps as Melissa described?  This style of stamp may have been designed to used in home decorating...similar to using a stencil like Heidi said. It could be used with fabric painting on such things as pillows, table runner or a tote bag or on wood items like plain unfinished items in JoAnn's, Micheals, or items saved from trash. Traditionally this style of stamp would be painted in a solid color onto a fabric or painted background. 

With such a bold design it could used as a border around lunch bags or on stamp randomly on newspaper or on tissue paper for gift wrapping.

If the flowers were 1 larger piece I would definitely consider using the stamp as a background of a Kissing technique project.

Okay if you promise not to share with others who might think I am wacko...when thoughts don't come together for me on how to use a specific stamp. I play with stamping it randomly on paper and then finally once on scrap paper that I use for my shopping/ errand list. As I look at my list the image stays in my mind and it remains as I glance over a bazillion images in a store. Then sometimes in a lightning moment a layout, color, or overall use comes together.

But this stamp presently looks to me looks like a retro style and if that is not a style that I would use in the future then yes, I would probably choose to pass the stamp along to someone who would use it. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:17:09 AM by Far North »

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
I will post pictures of the stamp tomorrow.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 11:52:16 AM »
I think I have a stamp set that is similar to this.  It is individual stamps though not just one stamp.  I use marker to color the stamps and then huff and stamp.  Mine were SU stamps from along time ago, they were I think the bonus for ordering a certain amount of stamps.  I don't actually use them very often and I unmounted them so I use them on a block with sticky on the block now.  I have to admit that coloring the different parts with either marker or different colored ink and stamping is the only way I have ever used mine.....so maybe I can get some ideas from this thread too.  Thank you for asking the board about your stamp so I can read what other people might do with this.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 06:06:14 PM »
CarefreeSadie.

I think we are on the same page about this stamp.  I remember some other sets like this.  I will try the inking with markers and see how that works, if that doesn't turn out satisfactory.  I will be donating to my local thrift store.

There are easier stamps to use.

Thanks for your comments.

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »
I have deleted my uploaded image.  But am in the process of uploading pictures of the front and back of the stamp.

There is the front:  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=911&message_id=dce2c1c75167b0074b6e45e03f7a4cc4&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

The stamp is a good side stamp 5 x 3 7/8th.

Next will be the back of the stamp, the stamping side.

Here is the stamping side:  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=912&message_id=04649932fe8abb5fa5c2758b04d40f98&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Keep or donate?  I am not short of stamps  :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:13:13 PM by Utah Ann »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »
Unless you can figure out a way to use it that would produce joy for you I would donate it.  Sometimes I go through my stamps and if I can't figure out a good use for one I just get rid of it.  If it doesn't stamp right or if it isn't my style anymore out it goes.  I give you permission to just let it go.  I assume from your posts about this stamp you just aren't that into this one, so let it go...... I would also assume that you have 11nty billion other stamps you like much better than this one (I know I do) so use those other stamps that you truly like instead of trying to find a use for one you don't like that well.  LOL I can be quite long winded when saying one little thing, can't I?
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »
I agree with Sadie.  If you don't really love it and have plenty of others, donate it.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »
Thanks for your permission and into the donation bag it goes.  Just need permission on this one. 

The end of this story.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 03:25:19 PM »
Good story!  Thanks for starting this thread Ann!
Cindi