Author Topic: Creative Challenge -- Chalk Backgrouds (post only to this post)  (Read 1166 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Hi Everyone! Here is the challenge for this week - June 1st - June 7. I hope you will enjoy it.

Chalk backgrounds --

Choose a background stamp and stamp it on white card stock using Versa Mark ink. (I found that using a larger more solid patterned background worked best) like the circles on my card below. Use a cottonball and apply chalks in a circular motion over the inked background. Next stamp a more open background over your chalked background, using a darker color of ink. I played with a few backgrounds. You can see some of my backgrounds and the card I made below.

Please label your post in the gallery -- Creative Challenge - Chalk Background. Please post your cards here so that we won't miss them.

Sorry about 2 posts. I went in to modify the first one and two showed up and I cannot delete the one below. Please a post your cards here on this post. Thanks much!

I can't wait to see what you make!

April :smile:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:21:19 PM by stampwilly »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenge -- Chalk Backgrouds
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:31:27 AM »
Please post your cards here on this post! Thanks!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenge -- Chalk Backgrouds
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:45:02 AM »
April, are you able to edit the title of the post that you want us to ignore?  so we know which one to follow? 

Also, I have some of the same questions as Sheila.  Are we blending chalks or inks over the Versamark background? 
I got rid of my chalks, but I will try to find an alternative and participate in some way.

Thank you!  Your samples are very pretty.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:57:20 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenge -- Chalk Backgrouds (post only to this post)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
This works best with real chalks. I did try it with Distress inks and the background showed up real subtle. You need to make sure that the versa mark ink is dry before adding the ink. I dried mine with a heat tool. I also tried chalk ink and oxides and they did not work. I hope this helps. If you can't make it work then just try inking the first bg in a light color and stamping and then ink another more open bg with a darker color and stamp on top.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 05:33:04 PM »
So do we repeat the Versa Mark for the 2nd background stamp? Thanks, Jan

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 09:36:42 PM »
I think I understand what you want, I just can't see the first stamping you did on the first example. Do love your finish card :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 08:45:38 AM »
On the second stamping you use dark ink. So, I stamped the circle background on my card with versa mark ink and sponged over that with chalks (blues and greens)using cottonballs in a circular motion. I stamped the leaf background over that using purple ink. I a sorry that this has been confusing.

April

I enlarged the backgrounds below. I hope you can see them a little better. Using a bolder background to begin with helps, like my circle background.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:47:43 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 09:54:36 PM »
I agree it seems to stand out more what you did with the circles background, maybe using lighter inks and not too dense of a second background stamp.

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/1847FFBE-B5CE-4CE4-A98F-ACFC13E37748.jpeg

I have very few background stamps, and none with large defunded lines.  So I used a circle stencil and
Versermark ink. One I ran in the big shot with an embossing rubber mat.  That is the one you see the dots best.
Then I used chalk, stamped over it with a large flower stamp, sprayed to hold the chalk.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/7EB29FCF-01A5-47CF-AD0E-E4791D73D736.jpeg

Made two cards with backgrounds.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4983#top_display_media

First card I mated ( so not my thing) added ribbon and words.
Second card I ink blended the white card base. Added backgrounds that I raised up with foam, then a die cut words.  More my style.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:26:27 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »
Sheila, your background and cards are lovely! I am glad you tried different ways to do your backgrounds. Thanks for doing my challenge!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 12:35:30 AM »
Sheila, that was a good idea to use a stencil ... and emboss it!

I don't own chalks anymore, mine got old and icky.  So I did the same technique using Perfect Pearls.  The difference is, the pearls ONLY stick where there is Versamark.  I might have got a more similar result if I stamped on colored cardstock?  I couldn't capture the shimmer in my photo.  I think it's prettier in person.  Thanks for the challenge!

Happy Birthday
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 05:35:04 AM »
I still have chalks so I hope to make a background at least soon. I still have my teabag out from last week too.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 09:14:47 AM »
Cindi, thanks for trying the challenge even without chalks. Your card is lovely!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 10:38:44 AM »
I did this early before the kids got up and haven’t though of how to finish it into a card yet. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4986#top_display_media

I think this is a fun layered background idea.  I thought the Versamark might resist the second stamping a little, but it didn’t. 
~~Heidi~~