Author Topic: Creative Challenge - Distress stencil technique and one more (June 15 - 21)  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
I have two challenges for you.

1.  Please mail a card out “just because”, a “hello” card, thinking of you, a blank card you have from a challenge ...
Last week I went through my card stash.  I have lots and I was trying to pare them down.  Some that I know I won’t send, just not my style, maybe an SU stamp camp card, or I made multiples and now I can’t remember who I might have already sent it to (ever do that?).  Many of those I am donating.  But there are still many, many cards.  Why don’t I mail them?  Extra credit if you mail more than one 😉.  Who wouldn’t like happy mail right now?  Tell us what state you mailed to, or more if you wish.

2.  Make backgrounds using Jennifer McGuire’s Distress Stencil Technique found in this YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/nDmEcnKrMus

Choose one to make a finished card.  Jennifer used baby wipes.  If you don’t have any you might try a Clorox wipe or damp paper towel?  I used a baby wipe, so I don’t know how other wipes would work, but it might be interesting to try.  You might have to experiment with the “sandwich” you put through your die cut machine.  You will also get slightly different results depending on how juicy your wipe is.  I made quite a few backgrounds.  Sorry I can’t upload now.  I do have a sample though.  I used the distress stencil technique to make the pineapple background in the Father’s Day card I posted recently. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5005#top_display_media

The point of part 1 of this challenge is to use your card stash, but you can mail your card from part 2 if you’d like.

I didn’t have room to pack crafts this vacation trip, so instead I pulled a few cards from my stash, and some envelopes and postage so I can mail cards while vacationing.

I hope you have fun and share the joy!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 09:19:25 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
I watched this video this week  and thought it was a fun technique. I don’t think you put in the gallery that you used it? (I will check) but I was thinking you might have when I saw it.  Thanks for the opportunity to try this technique.

I will also send out a just because card. I could always use a push to do that!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
I only have a couple extra cards, I mail out all that I make usually, I have a big family and many from the church I make cards for and friends so I don't have many extras.  The two I just made from Heidi's challenge but I was planning on sending them out in the fall :)
I actually have a folder on my computer that I keep of the cards I have sent out and to who so I don't make them the same card, I have a folder that I put ones in that I don't make for a particular person and sometimes I forget to name them after them so I have a few that are in there that I am not sure who they went out to :(   I will have to read this again in the morning when I am not so tired and make sure I understand, thanks for taking out the time to think of a challenge while you are on vacation, have a great time!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Connie, that’s fine, and wonderful that you send out all of your cards.  A lot of people who make a card in a class, never mail them.  Although maybe it would be a fun challenge for you to make a card “just because”, not because you need it for a specific person’s birthday or anniversary or occasion?

Heidi, no I didn’t share in the gallery the technique I used to make the pineapple background, and I usually do!  I guess I was saving that info for this challenge. 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
I’m wondering if this doesn’t work with the Gemini cutting machines.  I tried with the recommended sandwiches this morning and it just squeezes out too much liquid from the baby wipe, making a mess that transfers back into the paper and messes up the pattern.  Also you can’t go really slowly with the Gemini’s since they are powered and maybe that is how it is controlled?

Connie if you try it let me know what you think.

I do still have my cuttlebug and will probably try with it later on. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
I probably won't get a chance today but will try the technique out tomorrow in both of my machines, I still have the cuttlebug too :)

Cindi, I swear I need not read things when I am tired I didn't quite get things then but now I understand what you were saying.  I have sent out 42 just because or thinking of you cards since the virus started, mostly people in our church, I started with the older people that are single in our church and went from there, but then I had a lot of birthday cards I had to get done but I am caught up once again so it would be good to send out some more cards :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Oh I am glad you put up this challenge because I was wanting to try it! I have sent a lot of cards to hospitals and nursing homes, but I still have a big stash, so I can send out some cards this week. A lady in my SS class works in a nursing home and has had covid patients so I wanted to send her a card this week! Your challenge is perfect for me this week! Thanks for the challenge.

April :smile:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:17:52 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Wow Connie!  Don’t worry about Part 1, you’ve done it many times over!  I am better at making cards than sending them, so I needed the push of that challenge.

Heidi,
I used a Sizzix Big Kick.  I did it a few weeks ago so I don’t remember the exact sandwich but I know I used a tan rubbery embossing pad and I think I needed a paper shim.  I don’t remember going particularly slow, but may have run back and forth a few times.  Yes, a few times liquid ran under the stencil and I got a less distinct pattern, kind of a mottled effect, but sometimes that can be ok.  Maybe Cuttlebug will work better?  Sorry I didn’t make notes, but with all the different machines, it wouldn’t have helped everyone.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Great April!  (We were posting at same time).
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
I had much better results with the cuttlebug.  I also think that putting it through just one pass gave better results because the built up water can’t move back.  Second, a dryer baby wipe works better that a very wet one.  And third, I did try a baby wipe plus a Kleenex and that did help a little but the sandwich was a little tighter than I would have wanted. 

I think simpler designs might work better than detailed, but I am not 100% sure about that and would like to see other results. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Cool technique.  I will definitely give it a try.

And I am in the same boat as you, Cindi, with making cards for challenges that I just haven't had a reason to send out.  And about having duplicates but not remembering who you sent it to.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
I worked on this a little more today.  I tried a paper towel that I wet, squeezed out really really well.  Then I used just one pass in the Cuttlebug with going not too slow. I think this worked the best.  If I went too slow the water builds up on the lower third of the card and messes up the pattern. 

Now I need to figure out how to make them into cards.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
thanks for all the tips, I am excited to give it a try tonight!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Here is my first card for the technique. I do have several other backgrounds to work with.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5007#top_display_media
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5010#top_display_media

I had the Reverse  problem, my baby wipe was too dry!  I had to spritz water on the babywipe to make it work.
I did use distress ink and oxide ink.  Both worked but maybe cause my wipe was dryer.
Anyway the darker butterfly is the Oxide ink.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 01:03:13 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July