Author Topic: Creative Challenge - Slimline Card and CASE July 13-19, 2020  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Slimline Card

Slim cards that fit in #10 business sized envelopes have been really popular online lately.  I just noticed!  Where have I been this year?
Your challenge is to make a slimline card and take something from my card sample or the video tutorial to use as inspiration in your card.
Tell us what you cased when you link up here ... was it the card layout?  color scheme?  theme? 

You will see that I copied just about everything in the video when I made my sample.  I was having a low mojo day ... but!  Casing this card, got me crafting and I continued on to make a card of my own design.

At one of the last stamp shows I attended I was smitten with the Dare 2B Artzy booth.  Lately Stamp & Scrapbook Expo has been holding virtual events with the vendors we would normally see at an expo.  This video was from one of those "at home" events.  If you want to begin watching the portion where she makes a slimline card, start watching at around 9:57.  I thought her ideas were very cute so you may want to watch the rest of the video too.

Note : her slimline card may use different dimensions than others you see online.  If you want to change the dimensions you may.  I like this one because it fills the envelope nicely and after you make the card base, you have enough paper to make a nice card panel.  She gives good instructions and measurements.

Dare 2B Artzy tutorial.

My card.

Have fun!

Note : while it appears I was a bit lazy because I just die cut my images from printed paper (love that about this line of stamps, dies and papers ... the dies match both the paper and the stamps!) ... and I was a bit lazy ... I did more stamping and die cutting on the inside of the card with a little grouping of shells and coral.

Challenge :
1.  Make a slimline card.  My measurements are 8 1/2 by 3 3/4 but you may use another popular size ... as long as it fits a #10 business envelope.
2.  Use something from the sample card as inspiration and use it in your card.  Share what you copied when you link your card up here.

Here is the 2nd card I made that day, once my mojo was flowing.  The manatee and otter were die cut from printed paper.  The shells and coral were stamped and die cut.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 11:04:38 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenge - Slimline Card and CASE July 13-19, 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 10:25:48 AM »
This will be a fun challenge! I too am behind on the slim card rage! Your cards are so cute. I can't wait to try the challenge.

April :smile:

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 10:35:28 AM »
I have made them before, yours is too cute!  I love those images for times when you just don't know what to do.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »
I made one before, it was several years ago, but I agree, they really have taken off this year! I know that many vendors are in the process of putting out dies for this card size.

I actually considered doing this for my challenge last week, so I am glad you are doing it!

I will need to watch the video!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
I remember making "tall and skinny" cards ... but I thought they were longer than 8 1/2 inches.

I just did a google search and found
9 1/4 by 4 inches ... I've also found 9 by 3 3/4 for "Tall and Skinny" cards.

What makes it "slimline"?  Does orientation have anything to do with it?  Portrait or Landscape?  I read one conversation where they described a business envelope often containing letter size paper, folded in thirds.  Thus the 8 1/2 inch height/width?

I'm kind of surprised at how fast all the slimline dies are coming out ... what if it's a passing fad?  Do you think slimline cards are here to stay?  I have 100 A2 envelopes on order!
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 01:39:21 PM »
I made the slimline card.  I used a Pink and Main stamp set from the last stamp show.  I was trying to buy boy images.  Surprising how many girl images there are and not as many boy images.
But I hadn’t used it yet.  So this was a good reason to use it.
I cased the whole card.  The main difference is the size and shape of the openings!.  I even added Nuevo drops along the bottom strip to give it a pattern.  And I did not pop up the panel just the images.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/86234F3E-6B77-4AC4-8150-956CF4DC7179.jpeg
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 01:44:22 PM »
I don’t think the slimline cards will be that popular.  I am not a  fan of them.  I have too many large images, but they work great for these smaller images.  So I guess it will depend on the cardmaker.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 02:16:17 PM »
I think they are popular maybe cause you can just use a business envelope. I thought the size was 8.5 x 3.5? Not sure!  I think people like being able to add more images to their cards now that everyone has a big stash of stamps. However, I’m not sure how weird people who are not cardmakers will think they are!  Unless it has cash in it.  Then it is a better size than A2.

I also have some older images that were intended for 5x7 cards that may work well with Slim Line cards.  I don’t know why it is called slim line.  Is that a brand of envelope?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 04:35:25 PM »
Sheila, you made a great boy card!  I'm glad you could use your new stamps.  I think this particular layout works well for all the little character and critter stamps. 

Heidi, yes I've seen lots of 8.5 by 3.5.  The Artzy inker sample is 8.5 by 3.75.  I tried it and it fits a business sized envelope well with room for embellishments or layers adhered with foam tape.  You can use either size for this challenge.

I think the slimline format also works well for building scenes.  Oh, and you're right ... money or checks fit inside well as well as a 4x6 photo!

I’m not sure how weird people who are not cardmakers will think they are!
I often think that about easel cards ... if I send one to my MIL will she know she can stand it up, easel style?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:45:42 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 02:08:32 PM »
Here is my card below. I have tried 4 times to upload this card in the gallery and for some reason I keep getting an error message. I just got these cute stamps that I ordered (no brand). I colored them with alcohol markers and fussy cut them. I made the "portholes" using the Gina Marie stitched circle die. The saying was computer generated. I stuck with the water theme like your card, Cindi. The layout is generally the same too, except I used circles. Thanks for the fun challenge!

I was finally able to upload my card to the gallery -- here is the link

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5073#top_display_media

April :smile:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:47:55 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 03:29:49 PM »
Thanks for playing April!  I hope the gallery will work again.  I haven't tried it today.

Your card is really cute!  I like the characters and sentiment.  I see the theme, the 3 focal elements and the border along the bottom.  I like the white enamel dots in place of bubbles too.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 07:50:21 PM »
Very cute April, that sentiment is too cute with it!

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 10:03:23 AM »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 10:05:14 AM »
I did a combo card, for the Slimline challenge and Christmas, I am so excited about how many I am getting done this month, Fall months are my busiest for birthday cards so I might not have a chance to get many done then.

I went with the layout and added some stamped ornaments around on the background

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5081#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 12:45:33 PM »
I did a slimline card. Mine has a water creature theme like yours. I do like that three openings design and want to try that next time.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5083#top_display_media

Thanks for the challenge!
~~Heidi~~