Author Topic: Creative Challenge - Reverse Painted Embossing Folder August 10 - 16, 2020  (Read 922 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Creative Challenge - Reverse Painted Embossing Folder  August 10 - 16, 2020

If this technique has another name, please share.
I came up with it partially out of frustration!  It's probably been done before.  I searched Splitcoast Tutorials for a name but couldn't find anything similar.

For this challenge

Don't do this!

I started out trying to brayer paint over the pine boughs directly on my embossing folder.  Once you run it through your machine you will get the painted shape (pines in this case) pressed in to your paper as in letterpress.  I love that look!  I am too heavy handed I guess, and couldn't keep paint from also getting around the pines.  I've also had trouble inking the raised part of an embossing folder AFTER running through my machine.  Never fails, I get ink in the valleys as well as on the raised parts. 

Try this!

So this week I decided to try this instead.  I've been wanting to use my paints more. 

Challenge :

Brayer at least two different colors of paint (I used Distress Paint) on the flatter, debossed side of an embossing folder.  Insert paper and run through your die cutting/embossing machine to create a background.  Use the background to make a card.

Tips :

Paint will dry on your embossing folder.  I made quite a few backgrounds so my paint definitely dried before I could clean it.  Master's paint brush soap worked well for me, and an old tooth brush, to clean the paint off of my embossing folder.  Use any brush soap you have, I've also liked the liquid, pink soap in the past.

Keep a baby wipe handy in case you need to wipe paint out from the debossed area and then brayer again, you won't be able to clean the deboss without also wiping paint off the flat area, so just brayer some more paint over it.  Better yet, avoid the problem of paint in the deboss by making sure you get most of the paint off of your brayer before hand.  Don't use too much paint!  I put a small amount of paint on my craft mat and then brayered over it.  Hahahaha.  I meant to put a small amount of paint out, but a big puddle came out.  Work with it!  Keep making backgrounds until you use up your puddle, ha!

I put peeled paint on one end of my brayer and speckled egg on the other and ran it back and forth to blend just a little.  I applied to the embossing folder in two directions.  I did have to keep adding paint to my smaller puddle.  My peeled paint distress paint is the old style with the dabber.  The dabbers always get stiff and hard, so I took the dabber off and poured paint on my mat ... that's where the big puddle happened!

Here is my sample card.

I think I have enough backgrounds made for 12 cards.

What do you think?  I pondered over this card for a few days.  The background is about as shabby chic as I ever get, yet the ornament is very glitzy.  (The ornament shape was cut from sparkly paper and the overlay from holographic).  I debated keeping the ornament and choosing scrapbook paper for a background, or keeping the background and making a different, less sparkly ornament.  In the end, I kept it.  I think i like it.  Let me know in the comments if you think the styles clash.  What would you have done?

I hope you'll give this technique a try!
Add your card to the gallery with "Creative Challenge - Reverse Painted EF" in the title.  Thanks!

Note : if you don't have acrylic paint, try whatever you'd like .... maybe ink refills?  enamel accents could give you a shiny background?  push ink on to your craft mat and spritz, then brayer it?  I haven't tried these ... just suggestions. 

I prefer you use a brayer.  If you don't have one, try to apply paint to your embossing folder with the edge of a credit card or maybe a foam paint brush.

Actually, now that I think of it, this challenge is similar to one April did during a fest.  In hers, I think we applied ink direct to paper over a debossed background.  In this case we are applying to the debossed side of the embossing folder, using a brayer instead.

Have fun!  Please don't curse me when you are cleaning paint off of your embossing folder!

Here is a picture of my backgrounds.  You can see some have more paint than others or a few blobs or painted pines ... they haven't been trimmed down yet.  I think they'll be fine once I put an ornament and a sentiment on them.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:18:32 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
I have done this tehnique patting ink pads on the flat part of the embossing folder. It will be fun to use the paints. It might be good to have a tray of water nearby and place your painted embossing folder right into the water after running it through your machine. The paint will probably come off better. Looking forward to doing this!

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
April, yes, that would be a good idea, to have water close by.  While I had my paint out, I wanted to make a bunch of the same background, so I didn't wash in between ... I did get a little nervous when the paint didn't come off right away, but as soon as I tried the paint brush cleaner, it was not bad at all. 

Oh, and another
TIP :
I was working on a rubbery style mat by Imagine Crafts.  I thought I could scrape the paint off once it dried, just like the Ranger craft mat.  Nope!  It was quite a bit more work, so I would recommend Ranger teflon sheet style for this project.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
very interesting, I don't know that I have ever done paint on an embossing folder, I do like your results.
Do you apply both paints and then emboss, or one at a time and emboss after each application of color?

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5132#top_display_media

This is much easier with inks.  But I needed to try the paints.  I tried to use folders with roon to work.
My brayer it really to big for such a small space. I have a smaller size on my wish list.
On the pink one I used the brayer.  I other one I used sponges, you have to use the tiniest amount of paint on sponge and stamp off lots. 
I also used the sponges on the debossed areas, I liked that ,so I did it on both cards.
Found stamps to use, embossed with gold and gold glitter. I did not want a color to complete with the pink and green.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
I took the picture of mine too soon.
I stamped the center of the coffee cup again and pop dotted over the one one the cup added  bling and a bow.
The other one I added a die cut word over the center.  I wanted a word and looked at my stamps and couldn’t find one to fit, then I rembered die cuts! They look much better but I don’t know how to change the picture.
Serves me right for being in a hurry.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Connie, sorry I didn't see your post sooner!

I brayered both colors of paint, then added paper and put through my Sizzix.  Actually, I loaded my brayer with both colors at the same time ... a little speckled egg on one side, peeled paint on the other, then roll a few times to blend a bit ... or don't even blend and you could probably get a more defined plaid look.

Sheila,
I commented on your gallery entry ... I don't think the size of your brayer should matter, although I did just buy a new small brayer and used it for the first time on my sample card (I like the small brayer!).  Are you running the brayer across the flat side of your embossing folder?  It should roll right over the debossed areas and put plenty of color in the center as well as around the edges, you just have to be careful not to use too much paint, or it will get in to the debossing.  Your upgraded cards sound nice!  I don't think the gallery will allow you to change the picture.  The only way I've done it is to copy my description so I don't have to start completely over again, then upload a new picture and paste the description in.  You do have to re-enter the title.  I usually do it quick before there are comments.  I do it when I don't like the way the picture looks on screen, and I have time to take a better one.  If you want, just take another pic and upload the new ones in a new gallery post, or leave it.  We got the idea of what you did with your description.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:18:27 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
April,

Thanks for playing, and playing some more!  Your backgrounds turned out terrific.  I like the look you got with a fully covered background.  The embossed areas really pop on the brightly colored ones.  I like the way the colors blended too.  Brown was a good choice to add to your finished card.  Very nice!
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Cindi, you explained it well the first time, I should have came back on and said I got it after going back and reading it again later.  I had to throw away my first attempt because I didn't get enough paint on it, I tried adding more paint and  running it through again, it wasn't much better and I didn't get it lined up well, so in the trash that one went.  Blobbed the paint on mat this time and tried it again, I got paint everywhere and I still didn't care for the results, I guess I wanted the whole background to have paint, went to clean up my folder and that took awhile, came back in my room saw the mess I had and decided one was all this girl was going to do, LOL!  Guess I am in a mood right now and this was just too messy for me. I found I like using the inks better I guess, but interesting challenge.

So here is my background

And here is my finished Card

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
I just figured out how it would be easier.  Mask the design with some cheap tape.
I kept getting paint in the design.  Then I would stop and wipe out the paint. Now of course it is so dry here, that the thin layer of paint is too dry, to stick to the paper.  And the size of my brayer wouldn’t matter, if it was masked.
I was trying to get a skipping pattern not an all over pattern.
I will have to try after I get done with all I have started this morning.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Ahh, you're right Sheila!  I'm sure paint dries a lot faster where you are than here in FL!  It's a fine line between thin coat of paint, and too much where it gets in the design.  No need to do it over again, unless you're curious about what it will look like with masking  ??? 

Connie, thanks for playing and I understand how one was enough!  I rarely use paint, so while I had it out I went to town!  Of course clean up was a pain, and I'm sorry about that.  Thanks for being willing to make a mess  8)
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Oh Cindi, no worries, I think I am in a mood, I don't know if this is part of menopause or just having a swing in moods but you know how sometimes you feel like doing stuff and other times you don't have the patience, I was going through that, no patience thing, I had to laugh because hubby saw it and said, well that isn't one of your better cards, LOL!  you have to give things a try to see what you like so that is always good to try something new.