Author Topic: Creative Challenge- plastic wrap August 17 - 23  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Creative Challenge- plastic wrap August 17 - 23
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:51:26 AM »
I hope you all already have plastic wrap in your home.  I came across this on Pinterest and thought it was a neat effect, now I don't have those sprays she has in the video I will share, so I tried using my brusho's, I am thinking on the red one I didn't get enough color or because I did that one first and then did the other one and then added my plastic wrap it may have started drying to quickly, so when I get back I am going to try it using other mediums.  She mentions using watercolor paper and that is what I used but if you want to try it on other paper let us know what paper you used and what medium you used, but I do want us to use plastic wrap to get that cool look.
It would also be great if you make it into a card, I didn't get the time to do that yet.

Use Creative Challenge - Plastic wrap when posting.

Here is the video

If we have reception where we are going I will check in just in case you have any questions.

My first attempt

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenge- plastic wrap August 17 - 23
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:18:11 AM »
They look great Connie!  Thanks for the challenge.  I do want to try Brushos, or whichever brand of powder it is I have ... I know I haven't used it enough.  Hmmm, I might have to get out a cardboard box to work in ... that stuff travels!

Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
I think I will use some of my shimmer sprays. I have done this before but I have never used any shimmer. I like this look!

April :smile:

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 02:12:46 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/A775EE96-9249-402F-B6F4-E94FD3A194E0.jpeg

Super fun!  I used the color brusts and since the lady in the video said the simmer collects in the crevices of the plastic wrap, I added simmer spray before the water.  And she is correct, it makes a lighter area that shins with reflected light.  And you can sorta see it in the photo.
I just added die cut words so the background shows.  If I give this to a girl, I will add gems or sequins.  But as it stands make a great guy card.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/01978202-142A-450F-902F-ADFEAABDC165.jpeg
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 02:29:30 PM »
You know it helps dry stuff when you have triple digit temps, I just open the door lay it on the porch table, walk inside, get a drink and go back out and it’s dry!!
There has to be something good about living in an oven!
But it was fun making these.  I have never been very good with this controlling these powders, so messy.
The tip with the box was a good one!!  Also I put a piece of tape in the middle of the back of the second group I did.  That gave me a extra minute to grab the plastic wrap before the paper arched so much from the water.
Other wise the center color overtakes the rest of the colors.   if you hold it down with your finger you have even more colorful hands.
I already washed dishes, maybe I will wash the floor and then my hands will be pink again! 
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 09:39:06 AM »
LOL!  Great to make the best use of screaming hot days! 

TIP-to keep your paper flat (not curling) mist the back side before you start adding paint/ink to the opposite side.
...Jan

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 09:30:37 PM »
Wow Shiela that is great you were able to get that many done, yes my hands were quite colorful after making my backgrounds. I love the shimmer idea I think i might have something I could use. I love how you are taking advantage of that nice hot weather your having :)

Jan I will have to try your tip for keeping the paper down next time I give it a try!

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 07:23:58 AM »
Connie, I enjoyed the video.

I just came across another video for the same technique.  It's a Splitcoaststamers technique video by Lydia Fiedler.  She does it a bit differently in a way that looks easier to me.  Same results.  She uses Distress inks, watercolors, and watercolor powders (Paper Artsy Infusions). In the video, she demonstrates with the Infusions.  I thought you and other participants might enjoy this extra video.

Cling Wrap Background

Daria

ETA:  I started looking at the gallery at Splitcoaststampers that is set aside for this technique.  There are nine pages of cards that use all kinds of products.  Susie australia uses spray starch instead of water with Brushos. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:31:28 AM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 11:44:23 AM »
This is a gorgeous technique, I would love to try it!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 01:38:18 PM »
Here are my backgrounds and card. Thanks for the fun challenge. This is the first time I have used shimmer spray with this technique.

April :smile:

backgrounds  --  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5143#top_display_media

card  --  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5144#top_display_media

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »
Jan, thanks for sharing the video, that does look like another great way to do the technique.

April I like that you shared the light backgrounds and the dark, it surely does show up better on the dark!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 07:38:11 AM »
Here are my backgrounds:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5145#top_display_media

Jan had gifted me her colorbursts and brusho powders to add to my collection, and in them were 3 Liquid Metals.  They worked really well for this technique!  The brushos, I kind of forgot which colors would mix well so I got some interesting results, but I think they are workable. 

I always love any of the techniques with Saran Wrap but it is so hard to wait for them to dry, don’t you think!?
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 09:43:58 AM »
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 10:51:10 AM »
The backgrounds you guys are making are so beautiful, and they look even better when they are used to make cards.

I just watched another video that I found in my Brushos Pinterest  Board.  This one is by Eileen Godwin.  She gives some good tips.  One thing she said that surprised me was that she removes the cling wrap no more than ten minutes after attaching it while the paper is still wet.  She said if she leaves it longer than that, it sticks to the paper.  Has anyone had that problem?  Maybe it has to do with the cardstock she is using, Clarity coated on both sides.

Her pieces are very beautiful, and they remind me a bit of the softer ones that April posted.  She uses shimmer sprays directly on the cling wrap and then sprinkles a very small amount of Brushos on the cling wrap too.
Brusho Paints with Eileen, Part 2

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
Daria, One of mine that I left overnight did slightly stick to the paper, but I had no problem peeling it off.  I thought the ones that I left overnight looked much nicer than the ones I left for just two hours. 

I will check your link but wonder if she used a different paper.  Maybe cheap watercolor paper or regular cardstock.

ETA: Yep, she uses a glossy cardstock. That would definitely make a difference!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 11:15:18 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~