Author Topic: Design Challenge - September 2015 - Rule of Thirds  (Read 6005 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Design Challenge - September 2015 - Rule of Thirds
« on: September 02, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »
Some of you may have heard of the art term, "Rule of Thirds."  This is not really a rule as much as it is a guideline of where to place the focal point of your artwork, whether it be a painting or a photograph, or in our case, with our stamped images! 

If you are just hearing about the concept today, after reading about it, you might have an ah-hah moment, like I did.  I realized why some of my cards looked "just right" while others look a bit off. 

Here is a short article that really explains the concept.

Challenge guidelines:
Make a new project the follows the "Rule of Thirds."
Use a stamped image as your focal point.
You have until the end of September to play.

You will also find many well designed pieces that do not follow this rule, because this is just one of many design concepts to have in your toolbox.  Hopefully in the coming months, we will be able to explore more of these together.

I have gathered a few examples of card projects that follow the Rule of Thirds that are linked below.  I will also be adding some of my own projects as I can.

Please feel free to discuss this concept and ask questions in this chat thread.  Please also share your own projects in the Artsy Inkers gallery and link in this thread.  **Sadie thoughfully set up a section in the gallery for the Design Challenge so please go ahead and upload to that folder when you participate.   O0
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:33:42 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Design Challenge - September
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »
EXAMPLES:

I was thinking about this concept when I made this recent card:
Peace Dove Christmas Card

The card in this link has the collection of images and the sentiment on top of the kraft circle that follows the Rule of Thirds.
Christmas Card

Connie's pretty collection of roses looks lovely where it is placed on this project:
3 Step Stamping Rose

I like this one because it is a stamp where the sortof obvious focal point of the stamp is exactly in on of the "sweet spots" explained in the Rule of Thirds.  So maybe this is a bit of an advanced use of the concept.
Sweet Little Bird

LeighAnn's pretty bouquet of flowers is nicely placed on this project too!
Hello There by Lovepug2
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:26:20 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:21:30 PM »
Sounds interesting!  Will love to give this a go!

Stampwilly

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:06 PM »
Heidi, I am looking forward to these challenges...I have tried to learn these principles but it is still hard for me  to remember all of them when creating...the then I revert to my old ways.

Here are a couple other posts for cardmakers that helped me understand this concept of the Rule of Thirds.  This one is from the Operation Write Home website.

Here is a short video by TheMadStamper about the Rule of Thirds.  Instead of using vellum to make my viewer I used a piece of scrap packaging plastic since I did for an inchie and ATC viewer. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNiaSrcD1a4

Thanks Heidi for hosting!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:55:00 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 06:00:15 PM »
Jan, thanks so much for sharing the links.  The OWH one did not work for me, but I have to say the video did exactly what I was thinking of doing for a future example and now I don't need to do the extra work!  I like how she showed the one that was nice but not quite as nice as the other, and why.  Great idea to make a viewer.

I had forgotten that I meant to mention that I am not an expert in design, in no way, shape or form. But I am interested in it and I thought we could explore together, for the first time or umpteenth.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
Awesome!

Thanks for the challenge Heidi and thanks for the video Jan!  I've heard of the rule of thirds but only in a vague kind of way, or it's been so long, that maybe it's my memory that was foggy.  The video was perfect.  I'm going to make a thirds viewer tonight!

And how cool is that embedded youtube video?!  Is this one of the new features?  Thanks Sadie!  We're going to love it!

ETA : Jan's OWH link didn't work for me either ...
Try this link to Operation Write Home.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:26:17 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »
The OWH link is excellent, thank you!  It is definitely a good thing to gather more than one way of explaining the concept since we all learn differently.
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 01:45:41 PM »
Ooh, can't wait to play!

It's so funny, this was a big part of a design class I had taken in college, I did have an aha moment as to why o don't utilize this rule more with card making!

Thanks for hosting!
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
I had forgotten that I meant to mention that I am not an expert in design, in no way, shape or form. But I am interested in it and I thought we could explore together, for the first time or umpteenth.

LOL, Heidi! I once heard a 'punny' definition for an 'expert'. It is a former drip under pressure (exspurt)  :D

Like many of us here at AI, I never took a formal course in graphic design, but did have some college courses where design concepts where a part of the education--things like the 'golden mean' & so forth. That said, it is when we begin to do the 'hands on' work that we translate the 'book learning' into the 'real' learning.

So pleased that you've started this challenge. Thank you! I'll try to play as I'm able.

Interesting thing about the 'rule of thirds' is that it does help us find ways to create a composition, but leaves the actual design up to the individual artist. One of the things I work at is how I want the viewer's eye to move through a design. And the 'ROT' definitely can help me do that.
Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »
Interesting challenge!  Thank you for hosting this challenge.  There is an album in the gallery titled Design Challenges if everyone would like to put their creations from this challenge into that album then it would be easier to find them all. 

On a personal note I made the little lines with the sweet spots on a piece of vellum and marked the holes on the paper.  I then stamped and finished the design of the card and put the vellum on top again and low and behold it doesn't line up now.......so it would seem that I cannot follow directions even when I am trying.  :laughhard:   I am going to give it another try though...
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »
LeighAnn, glad you had an ah-hah moment.  That was fun for me.

Sadie, that sounds like something that would happen to me!

Looser, thanks for the input. I agree that actually "doing" does help us make the learning more concrete, and that is why I thought it might be good to focus on one design theme for the month. If that seems to long for everyone, let me know.  We can always change it for later challenges.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 10:04:32 AM »
One per month is good for me. The months are flying by for me -- they seem about 2 weeks long now! Showing my age now for sure! LOL! ;D

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »
Yes, the months do fly by.  It seems like this challenge just started and it is already 1/3 of the way through September!  Wow!

Has anyone made any progress with their designs?
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 02:20:18 PM »
I made my card yesterday. The little bird sits in the "sweet " spot of the grid. I also used 3 elements (bird, tree limb and saying) and 3 gems on the ribbon. Thanks for a fun challenge and a further explanation of this concept.  :smile:

Stampwilly

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1956#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 03:17:45 PM »
Very pretty card, April.  You covered all the thirds.  Such pretty colors too. Thanks for doing my challenge.
~~Heidi~~