Author Topic: Fresh Colors for Christmas Cards  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Fresh Colors for Christmas Cards
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:41:48 AM »
Sometimes I find it hard to come up with new color combinations for Christmas cards.

So I was please to see that Deepti Malik will daily be posting for the next 25 days new Christmas cards she designs using fresh color palettes in what she is calling “Christmas Color Revelations".  She has already selected the palette's on her Pinterest Board.

Deepti is a very talented watercolor and mixed media card artist.  You can check out this week’s cards here on her blog Dee's Art Utopia.

Challenge:  Make a holiday card or tag using one of Dee's color schemes from her Pinterest Board called "Christmas Colors".  Dee does not need to post a card on her blog before you use the palette for this challenge.  Please label your gallery post Fresh Colors.  Provide a link below to your gallery post and identify which color scheme you used. 

A little RAK will be sent to one randomly selected player. Closing date-Sunday, Dec. 6, 9 pm your time. 

Thanks for playing!...Jan
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:57:06 AM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Fresh Colors for Christmas Cards
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:03:04 AM »
I went and looked at her pinterest and there seems to be a lot of turquoise in her colors.  But it looks really similar to the color boards that Two Peas used to have.  My eyes were really drawn to the one on top of the board with the blues and pinks, it is just lovely.

Thank you for posting this and challenging us to use more colors.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »
Yes, mint and turquoise seem to be popular colors for this season.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »
Thanks for the challenge, Jan!  And Happy Birthday!

I took a look at the Pinterest board and I do like the color combos and the pretty little inspiration photos with each of them.  I will be participating when things wind down here.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »
This will be fun! I always like to see non traditional colors on Christmas cards. Happy Birthday too! ;D

April

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »
I got right to work on my card! Thanks for the fun challenge! I used the ornamental pinks palette for may card.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2186#top_display_media

April ;D

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
Your card is beautiful, I hope I can get my birthday cards done in time to try this challenge

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:45:23 PM »
Cool challenge, Jan.  There are definitely some great color combos.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 07:13:16 PM »
I continue to play with some die cuts and add in the mix of fresh Christmas colors.  I selected a tough color scheme for myself since I have a hard time differentiating between blue and green colors.  But I had lots of fun!  Here is my gallery post.

This challenge is open through next Sunday.
Thanks for looking!...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 08:12:21 AM »
I am going to try to work on this today.

My strategy is going to be finding a combo where I have those ink pad colors and then seeing what inspiration I get from having those set out.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:25:34 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 10:57:42 AM »
Here is my entry for the Fresh Colors challenge: 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2210#top_display_media

I attached a screenshot of the combo I used since Pinterest is moving the pins around each time I visit.

I originally took out a set of inkpads in the right colors to work on this, but then I realized I had some Christmas patterned paper with many of the right colors in it, so I worked more from that and just brought in one inkpad and two stamps. 

Thank you for the fun challenge!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:00:20 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 11:01:44 AM »
DS has been home sick this week so he wanted to participate in this challenge too:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2211#top_display_media

He used some fun shiny packaging from some headphones that we have been saving to use on a project.

I will try to attach a screenshot of the color combo he used below.

~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
WoW Heidi, great cards from you and DS!  I left you comments in the gallery.  I really like seeing the use of some different colors.  Thanks so much for both of you playing! 

I am headed to see if I can copy my color scheme...that didn't work for me the first time.  I too noticed new postings on the top rows made a difference but mine near the bottom remained in the same position.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »
I had a 6x6 pad of printed paper out and found that it matched this color scheme :

I used 4 previously uninked stamps (2 inside)!  I'm so happy to finally be using them.  Don't know what took me so long?!  The deer came from an old non-Christmas clear stamp set from American Crafts called Blue Skies.  I think I might have got it from twopeas.  I also finally got around to trying out the Pixscan mat with my Silhouette to cut out the deer.  I stamped the deer, mounted the paper it was on to the mat and took a photo of the whole mat with my cell phone.  I imported the photo in to the Silhouette software, loaded the mat and it cut it out for me!  Not perfect, but not too bad either, for a first shot.  I may be able to tweak it to get it a little closer next time.  I didn't really mind the little bit of white this time, thought it might help it stand out a little.

Christmas Cheer

Thanks for the challenge Jan!  I hope to try out some more color schemes.  I still need lots of Christmas cards!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 03:05:29 PM »
Neat color combo, and card!!!

So you were kindof able to use your silhouette like a Brother Scan n Cut???
~~Heidi~~