Author Topic: Pop-Up Box Card Challenge  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Pop-Up Box Card Challenge
« on: December 29, 2015, 02:15:39 AM »
Pop-Up Box Card
I received a pop-up box card for Christmas and have thoroughly enjoyed it sitting next to my computer this season.  I have not yet made a card in this current style but would like to create one for a special January birthday. I found tons of samples posted online including videos and tutorials for several different sizes.  I spent considerable time reviewing most tutorials and videos in search of the details for an A2 size card.

CHALLENGE:  I am opening this challenge to see if any other Artsy Inkers may be interested in creating one of these cards so we can chat about our progress during the next 2 weeks.  AI who choose to play may make their card any size and theme as they desire as long as it fits into an envelope and follows the basic foundation of a pop-up box card as presented in the resources.  It certainly can be a Clean and Simple Style.  Please use Pop-up Box Card as your title when posting your completed cards in the gallery.   Closing date is Sunday 1/10/16 at 9pm your time.

FAVORITE RESOURCES
for creating a Pop-Up Box Card that fits in an A2 envelope:
This blog post of Sandi Maclver includes both video #1 with instructions on making an A2 pop-up card base and in #2 video Sandi shares tips for layering embellishments in your pop up box card as well as a PDF with measurements and products. This is the best video tutorial I found for the A2 pop-up card.

Dina Kowal shares a Splitcoaststampers picture and video tutorials for a large size pop-up card box.  She shares measurements for size variations at the end of her tutorial for a A2 sized pop-up.

SOME VARIATIONS TO CONSIDER:
Box flaps- 3 flaps hang down on the sides of the box.  Some folks make them shorter than the box sides to add additional visual interest.  This version is not presented in either of the resources above. My card has the flaps a ˝” shorter than the base.

Layers on flaps: Some folks cut their printed paper providing 1/8” border all around. Dina suggests scoring the edges for a finished look and Sandi suggests creating a cardstock mat for each panel.

Covering outside flaps: Sandi also creates the same printed panels for the underside flaps which Dina describes as not necessary to cover since they are not seen when the card is displayed.

Looking forward to you sharing your experience along the way if you decide to work on this challenge. 
...Jan
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:35:57 PM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Pop-Up Box Card Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »
I've looked at these and watched a couple youtube videos about making them but haven't actually done it yet.  I do have a couple birthdays coming up that I could use this type of card for so count me in.....I will give it a try when I get a couple minutes (or hours).
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »
Yes!  I've been wanting to try one of these too!  I have a few January birthdays, so this will be a good challenge to get me moving.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »
Sadie and Cindi-I am so happy you both are ready to jump into making a box pop-up card!...I really think once we get the first card base completed we are in for some serious playing/embellishing. I will be making mine for a senior friend who doesn't like too much fluff...so I am aiming for a sweet winter bird scene. So glad I found the tutorials for an A-2 size since I have stacks of 8.5x11 paper but not so much 12x12...but first I need to decide a color scheme.

Thanks for playing!...Jan

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »
I very quickly put together an experimental card box last night just to see how this works.  I didn't take the time to ink the edges on the stars so they kind of look like blobs of paper but I now have an idea of how this works and also the limitations of putting it together without using something to pop things up, like heavy paper or pipe cleaners, maybe.  I attached a picture here instead of in the gallery because it is an experimental one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:45:35 AM by CarefreeSadie »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
WoW, Sadie looks like you are off and running with a great 1st test drive!  I think that is always the iffy part-to see if the directions match the visuals.  It can sometimes be a rough ride if the don't match...but it looks like you are in for smooth sailing with the base.

Did you get to watch Sandi's 2nd video...she certainly has some suggestions for placing the embellishments that I wouldn't have thought about on my first card.  I have an abundance of thin clear acetate.  If you or other players need some I would be happy to pop a couple pieces in the mail.

Do know the Christmas card I received in the mail placed the top of a pine tree die-cut off the edge of the back panel...unfortunately that was bent in the mail almost to it's breaking point. So sad...but now I know I won't but pieces beyond the card or will be adding extra protection.  Oddly enough the broken tree top reminds me of some of the birch trees around my house that were damaged in the October ice storm. The tree tops remain hanging on upside down by the splintered tree trunks.

Great start Sadie!!..I appreciate the inspiration to get back to mine.
Here's to a happy creative 2016!...Jan

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
I used this video and her measurements are different then your video.  I used this video for measurements except for she says to score the last measurement at 10"  and it should be 10 1/2".  But other then that it goes together perfectly.

Queen B Creations video

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:02:03 PM »
Thanks Sadie, I watch Queen B's video.  It looked like she covered the basics for a larger format.  The only difference I saw was she put the cross bars in with a z fold unlike Sandi and Dina who used a U shaped fold. The tabs go fully into the front corners and the 2nd bar goes into the back corners.  This eliminates the fussing to make them straight.   

Sandi shares how to place lots of pop-up appendages so they are inside the cards for mailing purposes (video #2).

It was a busy day here but I have narrowed down the papers, stamps and dies I might use.  A plan will be together soon.

...Jan
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:09:07 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »
I have not had a chance to see the video tutorials yet but I will give this a try.  I have seen them before and they look so complicated.  I think it would be a fun and impressive card to give.  Thanks for the challenge.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 07:53:31 PM »
I did one of these for my sister for her birthday, she just loved it, I put it in a padded envelope to send it to her and she said it arrived fine, it was her favorite card so far. Here is the link to it: http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=52&pid=1797#top_display_media

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 11:10:55 PM »
Heidi-so glad you are joining us for making this style of card. Know that my comments and resources focus on A2 size cards since that is what I am making but you can make any size you desire.

Connie-thanks for sharing your card from last summer.  I must have been traveling when you posted it so was really glad to see it now.  Do you have any tips to share? 

As for me,  I finished my card base today and am happy with for now but just not sure if it will come together with the inserts. Time will tell.

...Jan
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:13:55 PM by Far North »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 07:54:52 AM »
Jan, what a fun challenge! I've always been so impressed by these but way too intimidated to try! I need to check out some video tutorials to see if I can get over my fear and make one!

Sadie, your experiment turned out great!

Connie, I remember your card and I loved it! I love the idea of flowers popping up!
LeighAnn

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »
Sadie, your card is wonderful! I made one about a year ago and love it! I can't wait to make another one for a birthday. The one I made last year is way too embellished, so I will make this one flatter to mail. Hope to start on this soon!

April ;D

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »
Welcome LeighAnn and April!  For me it always fun to see the new ways to use a card design.  The more the merrier!!

This challenge is very flexible…make whatever size card you like…and embellish in a style that will please your recipient.  Please share any tips you learn along the way and feel free to shout out if you get stuck.

...Jan

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 08:31:30 PM »
I used the splitcoast tutorial to go by to make the box, I did it for an A2 size card.  I did happen to see on another site, but can't remember where, that she used acetate pieces to glue her flowers to so that you can't see cardstock behind them and that is what I used and it worked nice and also when you opened the box the flowers kind of wave a bit and looks really finished and nice. Other than that I can't think of anything else other than it was a bit time consuming but seemed to be pretty easy.