Author Topic: Pop-Up Box Card Challenge  (Read 4731 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Pop-Up Box Card Challenge
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »
Here is the latest pop up box card, card in a box, whatever it is called.  I still think there are other things that could make it better but I think I am now done with this.  Thank you for hosting this challenge, I did enjoy it. 

Linky!  Thank you for looking.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
Sadie your card is terrifically fun!  Heck, I almost always think of what else I could do to enhance a card...but if we are going to create other things we must know when to stop and save those enhancement ideas for the next cards.  You are a wise crafter!  Thanks so much for playing and sharing!!..Jan

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »
I will be following all of the challenge takers and will be leaving praise.  I will have to pass of this one.  Can't wait to see what is made.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 10:05:24 AM »
I enjoyed making this card. I tried hard to make sure everything would fold up well to put in an A2 size envelope! I made it! LOL! I want to send this to my sister-in-law for her birthday. She is a card maker and likes different cards. Thanks for the fun challenge, Jan.

April

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2261#top_display_media -- card opened

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2260#top_display_media -- card closed
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:16:03 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
April you did it--all the pieces and parts will fit inside the envelope! Great work!  Your SIL will enjoy this one!  Thanks for playing and sharing!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 06:40:47 PM »
Finally I finished my card and it is now in the gallery..

Here was my process for making this card.  I found the hardest part for me was defining the theme which became a winter snowy birthday card with birds. Keeping in mind my senior recipient will probably enjoy a quieter card than most.  I selected bird and sentiment stamps that will work along with papers.  I was then ready to make the card's base which turned out more straight forward than I anticipated.

My goal for embellishing was to add several little details for keep the viewer engaged a tad longer than other cards.  After wasting a lot of time trying to mentally envision what else I was going to add I finally decided to pull together some possible die cuts and embellishments that would work with my color scheme and overall theme. That was very helpful because once I started looking of course I found things I would have thought about. Then the real help came when I pulled out my roll of Scotch removable double sided tape and I could temporarily tape pieces in place.  After some final adjustments I permanently glued pieces in place.

Thinking back through my process helps me think about how to make other 3-D projects more efficiently.  I would appreciate comments on what worked best for you.  I hope you enjoyed this challenge as much as I did…thanks for joining me in the fun!
...Jan

Friendly Reminder: Closing date for this challenge is Sunday 1/10/16 at 9pm your time.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 07:56:43 PM »
I am working on this tonight.  I found that Dina's tutorial made the most sense to me, and I do have a few sheets of 12 X 12.  Once I had the base cut out, I moved onto the panels.  I have to say, this type of card is a great one to use up our collections of patterned paper, and I don't mean scraps!  So I have the paper picked out and have not even thought of what theme of stamps and decor. 

I will take a closer look at the other cards soon! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 08:16:34 PM »
Heidi, I too like Dina's tutorials and they give a good understand of little details.  But when I tried to downsize it for an A-2 card I got all confused when I tried to draw it out in a template and she threw in alternatives for scoring.  I know it should be -no problem- but after spending too much time I finally decided I wanted a tutorial specifically for A2 cards.  So glad you are able to get your paper cut without any glitches!
Have fun!...Jan
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:21:55 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 12:41:11 PM »
Here is my entry.  I did enjoy decorating this card.  Making a specialty card does make one appreciate why some people buy dies for special cards.  But I think I could get used to it if I made more.  I am glad I have the Martha Stewart Score board with all the score lines (I think the newer edition's Scor Pal has all the lines too) because it was confusing to see how you would make the lines otherwise. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2268&message_id=666f8a2a5ba1065475380d9223b48f35&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Thanks so much for the fun challenge! I do not know who I am going to send this to yet, so I left off a sentiment.  As I said before, I really liked using up patterned paper!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 08:45:53 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 08:37:53 PM »
I'm a little late, but I'm just about finished!  About to upload photos.  I made a matted white panel for the back of the box to stamp a sentiment and sign my box card.  I found a Silhouette cut file I had downloaded last year, but never made, for a St Patrick's day box card.  I used my Silhouette to cut the basic box card and the printed paper panels.  All of the embellishments were stamped and either hand cut or cut with matching dies.  I used a Sizzix/Hero Arts matching cling stamp and framelit set.  I really had fun with the cling stamp set. A little too much fun, apparently, as I'm late to the party!!

Here is the card I used for the box cut file, and for inspiration.

ETA :  Here is my Pop Up Box Card, happy Big day!.  This will be for my Mom's birthday.  I'll stamp a birthday sentiment on the back of the long back panel.

Thanks Jan!  I've been wanting to make one of these box cards, and now I've finally done it!  And what a mess!  You should see my kitchen!  Every counter and the kitchen table are full of stamps, ink, paper scraps!  Yikes!  The remnants of a fun afternoon and evening.  :smile:
Oh, and just want to add ... since my embellishments don't stick up over the back as much as the sample, this card fits a 6 1/4 inch square envelope.  And I have one, phew!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:04:06 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 01:00:10 AM »
Heidi and Cindi---Thank you for playing!  I appreciate reading about your process of creating a pop-up box card!  Indeed this is a good project to allow yourself to use some of your embellishments and supplies you have been hanging onto for a long while.  I hope you make a pattern of the base before you send your card off.  And I agree making more cards in this style including another before you forget how you did small details really adds to the ability to swiftly make paper folding projects.  So much more fun when it feels natural and you don't have triple check every step of the card.  Your first pop-up box cards turned out terrific....hope you are excited to give to your recipient and try another!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:37:31 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 08:14:40 AM »
I enjoyed seeing everyone's cards! 

That is a good point about making a pattern for this type of card. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
I missed  the deadline but I still want to give this a go!

I need to go check out everyone's cards, I'm behind!
LeighAnn

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »
I loved seeing everyone's cards! Great job everyone. This was fun and I plan to make more soon.

April ;D

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »
Dang nabbit, I didn't pay attention to deadline.  And I had the card finished on Sunday but I didn't post it.  In fact, I still need to take a photo of it.  I need to do that and go check out the cards in the gallery.
Sarah