Author Topic: January Anything but a card challenge  (Read 5455 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
January Anything but a card challenge
« on: January 01, 2016, 05:12:35 PM »
Hi Inksters!
Here's the first challenge of this series-This will be a month long challenge. Please chat and share your completed projects here.

This months project is to create a Valentines inspired banner/bunting. You can make it as small or large as you'd like.
You can create it it of paper, fabric, metal, wood, chipboard, cardboard. Stamping somewhere on your project is a must.

I started planning mine out today but I haven't been able to work on it yet.

I've seen several on Pinterest and around if you would like to search there for some inspiration. Most of them link to an etsy store.

Here's a couple that I found -

http://ablognamedhero.blogspot.com/2012/11/christmastravaganzaday-sixbanner-style.html
This one isn't valentines themed but I thought it was a nice example

This site has several options. I don't think any have stamping but still some good ideas.
http://www.tipjunkie.com/post/valentine-bunting-banners/

I'm hoping you all will join in with me!
LeighAnn

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: January Anything but a card challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 07:58:34 PM »
I like this idea, I don't have a valentine banner

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »
This is a great challenge for me.  I have been doing a little banner or swag type thing over the windows in our family room, which is where I craft, and I would like to have something Valentines to put up after I take down the Pom Pom Christmas garland I have on there now. 

I enjoyed the examples you gave too. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:35:52 PM »
you should share your Christmas banner Heidi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 09:46:05 PM »
Connie, the one I have now is store bought.  I do not always keep the ones I have done in the past. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »
Cool idea.  I don't think I've made a banner since I was a kid. 
Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »
Geez this one was right up my alley.  I bought the We R Memory Keepers banner board also on a black Friday special with coupon.  It really does pay to get up at the crack of dawn or before on black Friday.  I bought the darn thing to make banners for the grandchildren's birthday parties not realizing that it is the most basic of cutting boards ever.  But now I have used it at least once.  I am going to attach the pictures in this post because the banner is quite big and it is hanging in my storage area of the craft room.  The attachments below are pictures of the whole banner.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »
And here is the banner closer in parts from left to right......

The white sentiments, hearts, and heart edging are all stamping with embossing ink and white embossing powder.  The top edges of the flag part are cut with the fiskars edge punch.  On the bottom of the flag parts the pretty is washi tape.  I cut the black letters out with my cricut.  The die cut sentiments are cut from Tim Holtz dies as are the scribble hearts on the large letters.  The white embossed hearts are Dina Wakley stamps. 

Thank you for hosting this challenge and kicking my behind into using the banner board.  Now I know exactly how to do those Happy Birthday banners.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:53:00 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
Can it be a small banner that later can be put on a card????????

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 07:17:45 PM »
Sadie that is such a cute banner, I was also thinking of doing LOVE instead of spelling out Valentine, I don't think I have anywhere to hang something that big

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
Sadie, that is super fun. I also like that it spells out Love.  And that you could sit there and look at it for a while and see all the details!

I have been trying to figure out the size and number of banners for my space.  I saw a cute design at Michaels where the banner was a black and white horizontal stripe and then there was a red heart in the middle. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:51 AM »
Sadie, I love your banner you made! And I'm glad you got to use your Black Friday purchase! I didn't know they made one of those, I bet it's a useful tool.

The banners can be any size you like. I tried cutting one out of burlap last night and ended up tossing it. That stuff is so messy!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 08:04:26 AM »
Oh yes, LeighAnn.  Burlap is a fun look but it is not easy to work with. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »
Have you all seen the burlap backed with paper that DCWV has out, I bought mine at JoAnns but hobby lobby may have their brand, I know one time I went in there they had the triangle burlap banners already made can't remember how many came in a pack though.  I can't really die cut it but it cuts really well with scissors, I have used it on my cards quite a bit, nice and stiff

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 09:18:36 AM »
Connie, does it come in a stack? I have seen DCWV has some interesting textured stacks and burlap might have been one of them.  I did not realize they were paper backed.
~~Heidi~~