Author Topic: Gifting Challenge - January 2016  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Gifting Challenge - January 2016
« on: January 09, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
In an attempt to not wait until the last minute for making Christmas gifts this year, I'm going to host a monthly gifting challenge. 

I've decided to model it somewhat on Iring/Cindi's Christmas card challenge.  Each month, I'll post some inspiration ideas and prompts for getting our butts in gear for working on handmade gifts. 

I'm not going to limit it to gifts with stamping but my inspirations will be things that can easily incorporate stamping.  And if you are working on gifts for other events during the year, feel free to link up your projects here too.

For January, I'm thinking the best approach would be mostly a brainstorming discussion, but feel free to link up any gifts you manage to get finished this month.

So, are you planning to make handmade gifts this year? 

If so, how many gifts and for whom?

Are you looking to make some quick and easy gifts (like for your kid's teachers) or something more involved?

Stamped or not stamped?

Something else to keep in mind, do you have to mail the gift or will it be hand delivered?

And here are a couple of ideas I found on-line.  These could definitely incorporate stamping:

Men's valet

monogrammed tray

There's no time like the present to get started on your handmade gifts.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:30:31 PM by Craft Nerd »
Sarah

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Re: Gifting Challenge - January 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:19:24 PM »
I will definitely be making a bunch of handmade gifts this year.  On my must make list for this year, I need 8 gifts for the judges & JAs at work.  And I've already got an idea for them.  I picked up the Holiday Craft magazine last year and I'm going to make the snowmen featured on the cover.
Holiday Craft Magazine

I also need to make something for my 2 aunts, 2 cousins, and 5 friends.  And I will probably make something for my mom, dad and sister.  But I have no idea what.

For my aunts and cousins, I'm thinking card sets.  But I'm not sure.  1 aunt and 1 cousin got cards sets this past year, so I'm not sure about repeating.  But that aunt did hint pretty hard before Christmas about wanting a card set, so maybe doing another set would be ok.  I mean it would be different cards this year. 

I was also thinking that if I did cards sets, I would use a card challenge blog at a prompt for making the cards.  I'm in a bit of a rut card layout wise, so I was thinking of maybe finding a weekly sketch challenge and using that to help with the rut and to keep me on track with making the cards.  Here are a couple I've looked at possibly using:

Fusion Card Challenge

Mojo Monday

Cas(e) this sketch

Added bonus, it might get me to post on my blog more often too.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
Hey CraftNerd!  Thank for doing this challenge. 

I also have been thinking card sets.  Partly because I like to craft, but I do not use all the cards I have, so I feel like I should give some away as sets.  I have been thinking about how to package them.  There are clear boxes you could put them in, you could make a box and decorate it.  In the past, I have just wrapped it up in tissue paper and put a ribbon on it.  Even if I kept doing that, I could make a little coordinating tag. 

A non-stamping item I have been wanting to make is a crochet cowl scarf.  I have the pattern and the yarn, I just need to do it. 

I like to make a little something for my grandma and the other elderly women in the family.  Boy, they REALLY appreciate crafts so I do enjoy giving to them.  I need some new ideas for things that I could send in a small package like a bubble envelope.

That snowman is super cute!  I like it!

Using a card challenge to make the card sets is a good idea.  That way your cards would coordinate by having the same sketch but not be exactly the same.  What sentiments do you usually use when you do the card sets?

I am looking forward to more ideas!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »
I don't usually use any sentiments on cards I' giving away.  That way the recipient can use them for any occation.  If I do use one, I stick to generic greetings. 

For your grandma, what about making an ornament using a bottle cap or peanut butter jar lid?  You can stamp something to put in ht elid and use a ribbon for a hanger.  I'll see if I can find a picture on line of what I'm thinking of.  Or, a couple of years ago, I made post-it note pad holders for gifts.  I'll check if I have a picture.  I'm on my kindle right now because my laptop is hooked up to my silhouette cutting stuff out right now.
Sarah

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »
I was thinking of something like this for the ornament:
jar lid ornament

metal bottle cap ornaments

bottle cap ornaments

And I'm attaching a picture of one of the post-it note holders I made.  I think I used chipboard, covered it with pp, added a stamped image to the front, punched holes in the top and added the spiral ring.  I attached a post-it note pad on the inside.   
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 11:39:47 AM »
Thank you for the challenge Craft Nerd!  I like the ideas you posted.  The pics of the jar rings and bottle caps were way cuter than I imagined.
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
I made two of these this year.  It is a lot of work but it turns out really pretty.  I try to do an ornament a year and this was the one I did this last year.

Video of ornament.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:45:46 AM »
Love this challenge series, Sarah!

I need to figure out how many gifts I need to make. I typically make something handmade for parents, my grandma, SIL and soon to be SIL. Aunts and sometimes my dad and brother. Most my gifts are hand delivered.

Love the ideas you posted. I struggle with the masculine gifts. In the past it's usually a painting of some sort. I like the valet idea. Love the post it note set you made!

Here is what's in my list so far this year-
Ornaments
Card sets
And maybe a few tag sets

The rest I'm not sure about yet.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »
LeighAnn I also liked your idea of sugar scrubs from the other thread. You could add a stamped tag to that too.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 12:03:20 PM »
These are good ideas. I don't make a lot of gifts, but I might do a few now that you have put up this challenge.

April :smile:

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 07:26:50 PM »
I have a question for Sadie, you said you made some of those ornaments?  What did you use to put them together, just curious what kind of adhesive or glue will stick well to the embossing.

Since my whole family and friends get my cards for their birthdays I tend to do fabric, x-stitch and crochet projects for gifts, if they are homemade

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 08:48:06 PM »
I used glossy accents as the glue between the layers and the front and back.  I actually used my ranger heat pot and melted the UTEE and dipped the pieces into the pot, left to cool on the craft mat and then glued them together.  I used my cropodile and punched holes in the center so they would line up easier.  I put an antique button in the center complete with the shank which I tied to the one on the other side.  I can't seem to actually follow directions to save my life, so I had to do it just a bit different using the heat pot.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:47:06 AM »
that sounds interesting Sadie, I am not that creative, I am one of those follow the instructions kind of gal, unless I can't get it to work LOL!  Thanks for sharing your idea's!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
Those ornaments are cool, Sadie.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »
I don't know if any of you like to make lists, but I found a Handmade gift list printable you might be interested in:
http://www.shemakesahome.com/2013/12/free-printable-handmade-gift-planner.html

I love lists!
~~Heidi~~