Author Topic: Creative Challenge - Rub On Watercoloring  (Read 1098 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Creative Challenge - Rub On Watercoloring
« on: March 23, 2020, 08:06:00 AM »
Hi Everyone! Here is the first Creative Challenge that runs from March 23 - March 29. I found this tecnique recently and tried it. I hope you will enjoy doing it. It is called rub on watercoloring. Here is the link to the video that explains it  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPo-HaLdWR0.

In the video she stamps over the rubbed on watercolor, but I found that it worked better to stamp the image FIRST on your card. You will see what I mean after seeing the video.

Please post your card in the gallery with the heading rub on watercoloring and link it here so that won't miss it.

My sample is below. The tulips on my card are colored with this technique.

Have fun!

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenge - Rub On Watercoloring
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »
That is a fun technique I have never seen. I agree it seems like it could be easier to stamp the outline first. I actually have a stamp set that is similar to the one she used here, I might try that one.

thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »
Oh I am going to love to give this a try, thanks for the challenge!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »
Here is my entry! 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4829#top_display_media

This was a fun and different way to color in.  Definitely less pressure than watercoloring the traditional way.  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 03:30:13 PM »
Thanks for hosting, April!  Your Easter card is nice and springy!  The watercolor technique looks good with the stamps you chose.

I chose a dog from Tim Holtz's Dog Talk set.  I didn't have good luck at all.  I only got a few tiny dots of color to transfer to the paper.  I used watercolor paper.  I don't think it was the paper, was it?  I seemed to have a hard time getting any build up of color at all to stick to the plastic.

I'm still grateful for the challenge.  It pushed me to get some stamps and ink out.  I went ahead and started a card using the dog stamp and a different technique.  Maybe later I will try the rub on technique again with a different stamp.

If anyone has any suggestions for getting more color ... please let me know!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »
Cindi, I wonder what would happen if you wet the dogs with water before you transferred the paint?  I did have to layer a few times of watercolor, but I used Bristol paper.  I think in the video she used regular cardstock?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 10:20:56 PM »
Cindi, I had the same problem, I was using watercolor paper and no matter how many times I added the watered down ink to the film it would just pull and when adding it to the paper it went in about the same area's, I am thinking to try it again using the bristol smooth or regular cardstock, I will get pictures tomorrow and get them posted.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:34:48 AM »
I used just regular card stock and had to layer it several times. Thank you all for trying this. I can't wait to see your results. Heidi, your card is so lovely!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 09:37:34 AM »
The first card I am sharing uses the way she showed to do it in the video, I applied the watered down inks to the packaging and then rubbed it onto my paper, then stamped over it.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=4830&message_id=4153c1d874bbe654964fc51b20fa0355&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

The second one I tried using the method of stamping first then putting the ink on the packaging and rubbing it on, didn't get the fuller coverage I wanted no matter how many times I applied the ink and smooshed it seemed to go into the same area, I used watercolor paper on both of these, would like to try it again but using normal card stock and see what I come up with.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=4831&message_id=05f2f93799f05bbeb1b9ee8fe8e24a49&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 10:41:00 AM »
Heidi and Connie, thanks for doing the challenge. Your cards are wonderful. I love all of them.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 10:50:51 AM »
I think both your cards turned out great Connie!  Great stamp choices!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 11:02:08 AM »
Nice job, Connie!  Great idea to use this technique with collage style stamps.  Your cards turned out wonderfully.
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 12:46:23 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/ECF656E2-92F2-40F4-B6EC-81889074FB78.jpeg

Ok, I tried this.  Not my favorite.  The flower is bigger then my distress
ink pads, so get the inks to the edges as not good.  But by cutting it out , it is not very noticeable.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 01:37:52 PM »
Shelia, I think that turned out so well!  Lovely!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 03:03:44 PM »
Sheila, thanks for trying the challenge. I think your flower looks lovely.  :smile:

April