Author Topic: SF18 MM Mirror, Mirror ***** Winner posted *****  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
SF18 MM Mirror, Mirror ***** Winner posted *****
« on: July 06, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
SF18 MM    Mirror, mirror

Mirror, mirror on the wall.  Who's the fairest of them all? 

We are!

Look in to that shiny surface and see your smiling face.  Do you have mirror cardstock, foil cardstock, heat activated foils (Minc, Gina K, etc) or pressure sensitive (Deco) foils?    Let's use them and add some reflective shine to our projects.  If you don't have any foil/mirror products then how about aluminum foil? 

Challenge :
1.  Use mirror card stock, foil card stock, heat or pressure sensitive foils (Minc, Gina K, iCraft Deco Foil),  Gilding Flakes, or even aluminum foil to add a reflective shine to your project.  You don't have to stamp on it, but you should use a stamp on your project somewhere, even if it's a sentiment stamp on the inside, that's ok, just mention your stamping in the forum post.
2.  Tell us how you used foil or mirror cardstock.  Technique? What kind of adhesive?  What tools did you use?  If you stamped on it, which ink?
3.  While you're at it, decorate your envelope.  It can be simple.  Nice if you can coordinate with your card somehow.  Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner have been using the same stencil or background stamp on their envelopes to match their cards lately.  That might be harder with foils, not sure how they fare through the mail, but any little stamp or ink on the envelope is acceptable.
4.  Add your photo to the Summerfest 2018 Gallery with SF18 MM in the title and as a Key Word and post your experience here in the forum.
5.  I know some people like to see how many challenges they can combine.  Combining is allowed.  You may also combine with Djc's Winter Holidays in July challenge. 

Thanks for playing, shiny, happy people!
I will draw from the names of participants and offer a small RAK.

Here are some videos for inspiration.

Gilding Flakes and No Heat Foils
5 Ways to use gold foil
Masking tape, stencils and foil
Black Ice, stamping on foil

A youtube search will give you even more examples.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:26:37 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: SF18 MM Mirror, Mirror
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:39:25 AM »
I do have a little bit of foiled cardstock, as well as some foils.  Good idea to decorate the envelope.  That is something I rarely do!

Thanks for the challenge, I will be happy to look through those links.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:36:10 PM »
I know what I am doing for this one! :smile:

April

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »
Great!  I'm anxious to see what everyone does.
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »
This was fun. Instead of adding the flat foil to my alcohol inks as I have tried before, for this challenge I added gilded flakes! I like that the gilded flakes make the cards look more textured.

April :smile:

Here are 2 backgrounds I made using the flakes.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4053#top_display_media

Here is the card I made with one of the backgrounds. Explanation in my post.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4054#top_display_media

Here is the envelope I made for the card.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4055#top_display_media

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
Wow, April!  Your card and envelope turned out very cool!  I was a bit worried about how we would match an envelope to a mirrored/foiled/gilded card.  Your envelope is the perfect little hint of what is inside.  I'm glad you had fun.  Thanks for doing my challenge.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »
Ok as I am posting this I realize I forgot all about the envelope, but here is my finished card
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4087#top_display_media

Here is a close up of the megaflakes in the tree leaves, I couldn't pick up the shine except for this weird angle, never did get a good picture of the black mirror card though
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4088#top_display_media

I made a matching envelope, my brother is going to love this :)
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4089#top_display_media
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:35:36 PM by Conniecrafter »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:10:16 PM »
Of course your brother will love this card Connie!  It's awesome!  I love the flakes as tree leaves.  I bet the truck looks really good in black mirror card stock.  I like the shimmery chrome parts too.  You created a really nice scene.  Thanks so much for doing my challenge!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:12:18 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »
I decided to bite the bullet and use the DecoFoil Transfer Gel like I ought to have been doing the last 3 months I have owned it. I actually have heard it doesn’t last forever, so double reason to use it.  I really really like the results of using it through the stencil.  It gives a lot of dimension and it really grabs the foil easily when put through the laminator.

I have not been hugely excited about foil previously.  Either I didn’t get complete coverage of the toner and it looked weird, or I just wasn’t excited that I had to print something out to use it.  Using it with a stencil cured me.  You can use it for stamping too, although you won’t get a crisp image. I will try that sometime. 

My envelope was stenciled too, but with ink.

Thanks for the fun challenge!

Card and envelope
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4094#top_display_media

Close up of shininess
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4093#top_display_media
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
Wow Heidi!  I think I have some of that transfer gel that I haven't used yet.  Now I can't wait to get it out.  Good to know that it needs to dry overnight.  But wow, really worth it!  Your foil is so nice and solid and shiny and I love how it is a bit raised.  I have had spotty results using toner based images and a laminator too.  Your card looks wonderful!   I like how you repeated the stencil on the envelope with ink.  Thanks for playing and thanks so much for the close up photo!
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 10:58:52 PM »

cutting it close here but details in the galleryhttp://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=100&pid=4100#top_display_media

Thanks Cindi...Jan

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing your technique and card Jan!  Never would have thought of tissue paper and foil.  I'm sorry you had so many product failures!
Glad you beat the buzzer and got your card posted.

Thanks everyone for playing.  I love all of the different ways you accomplished the challenge.  Now I need to get going and make something shiny!

I put all of your names in a bowl, held it over my head so I couldn't see, and out popped April.  Congratulations April!  I will try to get a little RAK out to you this week.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:30:03 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: SF18 MM Mirror, Mirror ***** Winner posted *****
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
YAY! Thanks, Cindi. I can just see you now with the bowl over your head! LOL!

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 08:31:35 AM »
I can just see you now with the bowl over your head! LOL!

Ha!  Yeah, luckily I'm home alone and hopefully no one saw that crazy sight!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 08:48:52 AM »
Congrats, April!  I love how you pick the winners, Cindi!  This was a fun challenge.  I am glad you made me get my laminator out!
~~Heidi~~