Author Topic: modeling paste or flexible paste  (Read 7844 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
modeling paste or flexible paste
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:03:40 PM »
For those who have used paste on their cards, which do y'all use for cards:

- modeling paste
- LIGHT modeling paste
- flexible modeling paste

I was looking at them at Michael's today and wasn't sure which would be good for use on cards. 

Does it need to be flexible or light or is the regular modeling paste ok?  Or is there another paste or medium to use entirely for using with stencils to get that raised, 3D look?

TIA!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: modeling paste or flexible paste
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 04:52:53 PM »
Daria start exploring these different products many years ago and is very knowledgeable. I hope she will add to this conversation. 
She provided early nudges to explore Dreamweaver's embossing paste.  It was the only store I knew of at the time that specialized in selling metal stencils. The stencils initially were used for dry embossing with a light box for card making. But embossing paste brought a whole new look to stencils.  I have enjoyed using their white and translucent paste over the years. Making a handful of cards each year 1 jar lasts me a few years. They have wonderful tutorials on their site. 

More recently Wendy Vecchi artist now an associate with Ranger Products began a line of embossing paste product in addition to her beautiful colorful archival inks.  She has several You Tube videos showing paste techniques with stencils.  I have heard her paste products are manufactured by the same as folks as Dreamweavers.  These pastes are nice and smooth. They are like working with cake icing and can be pre-colored with ink.

Ranger has a new texture pastes for similar purposes.  Jennifer McGuire made a video comparing this ranger product with another that she had been recommending.

There are not many comparisons online since one would have to buy more products than they would easily use in a brief time frame.  There are lots of similar products and it is not easy to know what is different about each one so I go to the manufactures website and read product descriptions.  Like I sometimes use Golden Light Molding Paste with has a lot of texture in it which can add interest to a card but it is light weight for use in large projects with lots of buildup and so it does not dry as fast as a paste so to provide artists more time to work with it on a project. Would not be my top choice for cards if I am only buying one for stenciling.

Melissa since you are on a roll exploring new creative directions and products-I hope you are making your Christmas wishlist :laugh:  In case you don't already know gesso is a product used as a foundation for canvas and paper art to provide a better surface for paints and sprays etc.  Some folks who know they will be work with wet and messy products gesso all their journal pages. But I personally would not consider it a substitute for embossing paste.

I hope other folks here will share there experiences too and share if they make homemade pastes too. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:02:40 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 05:39:49 PM »
lol!  I thought the same thing after I left Michaels Jan---that I need to start making a list b/c Christmas is coming!  lol!   ;D

Thank you for all your comments Jan!  Gives me things to look up to watch and reference points! 

When I was looking up differences this afternoon, I read everything from some using different modeling pastes to spackle and painter's caulking!  So that's when I decided to post my question here! 

I do remember talking to Daria and Nora about Dreamweaver's paste.  I have forgotten about Dreamweaver paste until I started reading sites.  When I saw the paste at Michael's it reminded me of some discussion on Twopeas we had about paste once and where to find it---but at the time I looked all over Michael's and could not find what everyone recommended.  Now I noticed that Michaels has a few new products in the art aisle and that included a few shelves of modeling paste and gel and gesso. 

With the mention of dry time varying between products, it made me think: do any of these products cause the CS to warp due to water being in the product (since I read that most are water-soluble)?

I am eager to hear others experience too! 

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »
My favorite are Golden Molding paste, and Liquitex light modeling paste.
They can be put on light, or heavy.  I like to put it on heavy and uneven, doesn't warp paper when dry.
I had a few friends over and did a class on pastes.  I bought a bunch of different brands, even the cheapest spackel.  Everyone puts it on different, funny to watch.  I don't like the real thin pastes, you use less but then it looks like other things.  I want it to look like paste if I do the work, but that's me.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 04:02:50 PM »
...I want it to look like paste if I do the work, but that's me.

I think I understand what you're saying, Sheila, but check me out...

You want the paste to have some dimension. As opposed to being a thin 'glaze?

Since my BG is General Crafts, I continue to be less 'how something works on cards', but usually find these conversations very useful.

TY to you both!

Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »
I can only speak about what I have used which is Liquitex modeling paste which is a gel medium (that is what it says on the container).  Then I have some liquitex light modeling paste(which also says gel medium on the container)  These I use with stencils to make texture on things.  It dries nicely and you can use a heat gun to dry it if you want.  Then I have actual Gel matte and gloss.  (Do not use a heat gun on the gels because they will bubble).  The only difference is the matte and gel finish.  These I use to collage or glue papers and pictures to things.  It can be used much like how one would use mod podge but you don't need any other finish to make it not be sticky. 

The modeling paste and the light modeling paste is actually very different in the way they keep their shape and the weight.  The containers hold the same amount but the modeling paste is about twice as heavy.  It keeps it's shape for heavier texture.  I would assume for cards the light modeling paste would work best.  When I wanted to get started in different mediums I bought a small box of golden product that had six different mediums to start with and just tried them out.  When I had used those up I bought big containers of the Liquitex because I could get those with coupons or cheaper on Amazon.  But it gave me a sampling that I could play with and see what I would actually use on a regular basis.

I hope this was helpful!
Sadie
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
Melissa, I have never had a problem with cardstock warping with embossing paste.

There are many techniques that one can do with these products. IMHO even smoothing the product level with the top of the stencil adds a lot of interest with the added dimension.  And adding some texture markings is easy and it will remain sturdy in the mail.  When I make decorative canvas I add considerable more texture than on a A2 card.

The density of some of these products becomes one of my concerns with our extreme temperatures for I have a septic system. Most of these products can be easily cleaned immediately with soap and water...but I don't can't risk clogs freezing my pipes.  Oh well we all have issues that effect our final choices of products.

I would highly recommend a plastic bent handle palette knife. For me it makes a world of difference to use the longer blade instead of a credit card to evenly spread the paste across the stencil. I find I use less pressure on the stencil with flat surface against the stencil and keeps the paste from creeping under the stencil. And for me it feels like much less effort to add a small amount of embossing paste if I can complete it in 1 or 2 smooth passes.

Sadie and Yankee-how wonderful you could test products in the beginning. LOL-I don't know if their were more products available when I first started.  This brings to mind that Ranger offers some of their paste/medium products in mini sizes. 

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »
Thanks Yankee for your recommendations!  I will be adding them to my Christmas list!   ;D  and your paste class with your friends sounds like it was fun!! 

Sadie, your comments have helped me since I have no experience with these mediums.  I like hearing about what others have learned and done.  I am happy to see they have a sample pack and I am going to go to Michaels and see if they have it----they have a 50% off coupon this week!  and it doesn't look like those mediums are on sale!   O0  I may get the pack or add it to my Christmas list and get Super Heavy Gel instead.    I read at a few sites that that is most similar to Dreamweaver's embossing paste. 

Good points Jan about cleaning up of the products!  I am looking for some of my plastic containers we don't use anymore to act as cleaning vessels.  I know of a rectangle shape Rubbermaid for sandwiches that's perfect I gotta find in storage closet. 

That's another thing Jan, you reminded me of---the palette knife.  I have a tiny one that Stampendous sent me for having trouble with one of their stamps (they replaced the stamp and also sent this---I could only find it on Amazon to show--- "Sofft knife").  I am not sure if it'll work either for applying paste though---looks too small to me.  and I am not sure what the knife is really even for, but maybe to apply soft chalk/pastels???  I'll have to remember to try it next time I use chalk.

Thanks everyone for also letting know these pastes do not warp CS!  yeah!  O0

I am learning so much!  TY everyone!  And also thanks Jan for recommending reading the sites….I have gotten used to reading products and packaging at the store and have learned there is not much if anything telling about them!  The sites proved very helpful with learning about the paste/gels/etc.

I did get some gesso over the weekend!!   O0 O0  My first step for art journaling!   :D

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:26:37 AM »
Melissa, I have used  what Yankee had said.

I really like the liquitex. It's a nice light paste and the bottle I have is in a squeeze bottle so it's easy to work with. I got it at Michael and was able to use a coupon on it. I think it was around 4 dollars.

I love love love working with gesso. One of my favorites is to use it as a resist. I use a foam brush to "paint" the ink on my stamp(red rubber works well for this technique) and stamp it onto your paper. Once dry( and it dries pretty fast) you can blend distress inks over it or a light watercolor wash. It's really fun to play with.

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it and for all of those who have chimed in!
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »
LeighAnn this is when I miss our previous gallery...sure would fun to see your gesso cards in the gallery if that is ever possible.

Melissa I posted a pic of the palette knife below.  It is inexpensive.  Sorry to the reviews are not more positive on your gifted tool. 

Darn my M's coupon is only the usual 40%.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:27:18 AM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
Thanks for the photo Jan--I'll look at Micheal's--that one looks familiar.  Check this week on Michael's website b/c they have a 50% off coupon online to print off (though now they also SELL items online too!).  Other times, I will use my Joann coupons at Michaels and that was what I did last week. 

I think it'd be fun too to see your gesso cards LeighAnn.  I am so excited that it can be used as a resist!!  Do you just wipe it off your stamp afterwards? or do you use soap?

I just bought Michael's brand of gesso since you got more and it was cheaper and I wasn't sure what to look for.  That's what I want my art journal to be right now, to experiment with products and just create and try to learn to be more free with creating.  Then I'll have it all in one location!

I agree!  I am loving this thread and all I am learning!  Thank you everyone!!   :smitten:  O0

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »
Jan and Melissa, I will see if I still have pics of the cards and upload them here.

As far as cleaning the gesso off, you will want to do it quickly so it doesn't dry on there. I usually just rinse mine with just water or a little hand soap or baby shampoo.
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »
As far as cleaning the gesso off, you will want to do it quickly so it doesn't dry on there. I usually just rinse mine with just water or a little hand soap or baby shampoo.

Cool!  That's easy-peasy LeighAnn!!   :D

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »
Thanks Melissa to the tip about M's online coupon.  Somehow I got off the online coupon list...will have to sign-n again.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
Oh that is good to know Jan----I was wondering why they were leaving you folks out in Alaska out!    >:(      I think I get the Michael's emails in one of my old old email accounts, but normally I just go to their site directly and click on 'weekly ad' and the coupons on the right hand side to download.  I like hat tI don't have to have a coupon driver to download m's and j's coupons!