Author Topic: Layering stencils  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
Layering stencils
« on: November 19, 2020, 01:01:18 PM »
Has any one bought some of the layering stencils that are out there?  I have seen lots of them on u-tube.
I found a small set at Tuesday Mornings.  It was fun.  First one wasn’t quite the correct colors, but I nailed it the second time. When I turned it into cards, I realized how big the flower really was.  Should have usebigger cardstock and made a larger card.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/D8A5727E-A12D-4364-8A7E-53820FA38492.jpeg
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:13:29 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Layering stencils
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »
I have some VERY old layering stencils that I should get out and try again. I love your flower.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 08:41:00 PM »
Your sunflower stencils are really nice, Sheila!

I can't think of any layering stencils in my stash ... I have a few shifter stencils, Tim Holtz and I think the other is Altenew.  I'll have to take another look at my stencils.

Unfortunately our Tuesday Morning moved out.  The closest one is about 35-40 minutes away and it's not as nice as the one that was close by.
:(
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »
My layering stencils are from The Greetery, she marks them really easily so there is no problem lining them up, your flowers are so pretty!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 09:10:14 AM »
I have a couple and I love them. Your cards are very pretty, Sheila.

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 01:15:47 PM »
Connie, you reminded me that I really want that knit layer stencil from the Greetery.  And the bird stamps. I am waiting to buy new stuff till after Christmas.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 08:54:28 PM »
I forgot about the knit stencil Heidi, I may have to break that out :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »
Connie, big thanks for offering to make me some die-cuts.  If at some time I find the need I'll be sure to be in touch.  Thanks for being so thoughtful.

Twice I typed the following info for those who may want to know the differences between stencils.  Unfortunately my computer immediately deleted my brief explanation.  I have been using stencils for many years and have acquired 3 notebooks full of stencils. They are more reasonable than many of our tools.

Layering stencils
I saw your post and realized no one had responded yet.   I think what is happening is that layering stencils are designed in the style of the designer's creative interests.  For instance several of Tim Holtz stencils can be used to create a college type project. Or a few stencils can create interest for backgrounds.  Tim has a youtube demonstration explaining the differences with color, paper, design and how he uses them.  He recently added some floral stencils to his line of layering stencils.

Altenew stencils
The floral stencils are broken into smaller pieces of the large flower so different parts can be shaded or accented.  The company provides a colored printed layout of where each small piece should be located. Self-paced classes are available to learn Altenew techniques.

Concord and Ninth
Concord and Ninth has layering stencils called turnabout that helps one develop detailed pattern designs.  One divides the paper into 4 quadrants and then colors the pattern in each quadrant adding a segment after each turnabout.

Greetery
Greetery stencils provide a marking on the stencil so that segments can be correctly connected by matching dots.

Many other artists have created new ways of using stencils.  It does take some time to discover how each stencil is designed to be used.  Have fun learning what works for you!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 04:25:18 PM by Far North »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »
FYI-I have been watching many sales on-line these last couple weeks.The deals are often better than I have seen online previously...However now many products are totally selling out.  I am afraid it may take a long stretch before products can be replaced.  Next week is the deadline for having packages deliver for Christmas.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 11:10:12 AM »
I am not much into the layering stencils with patterns but I do like the ones that do the shading for you for flowers and such :)  I still haven't received packages that I ordered for the Black Friday sales but they are on their way :)