Author Topic: Aleene’s Tack It Over and Over  (Read 2826 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Aleene’s Tack It Over and Over
« on: March 08, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »
I have a lot of unmounted rubber stamps now.  I have a couple blocks that have Tack n Peel on them.  It works pretty well, but I am limited to just those blocks, and I am not sure if it is the best solution.

However, I was wondering if I should try Aleene’s Tack it Over and Over for the unmounted stamps.  Then I could use different sizes of blocks. 

However, I don’t know how long it will last and if it works to stick the stamps on binder sheets?  I also don’t know how much I would apply to the stamp.

Anyone here have experience with this product?  Were you happy with it?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: Aleene’s Tack It Over and Over
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:48 PM »
I haven't tried that myself, I think I might have some, I may have to give it a try, I have a few stamps Jan gave me before her move that needs something, when i was organizing my room I came upon them again and just to stamp them to see what they looked like I used washi tape  on the back to get it to temporary work but was trying to figure out if that is what I will do each time I use them or if I will try adding something, but I think I would need to clean them up a little more there is still stuff stuck to the back where she must have pulled them off a base and not sure how to remove that stuff.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:31:02 PM »
Thanks for replying, let me know what you think if you get around to trying it.  I have used double stick tape before, too, but it gets all stuck to the acrylic blocks.  Also, I guess i was thinking of being able to use them with the stamp positioner.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:01:16 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
Heidi,

I used Aleene's Tack it Over years ago.  I just went to check some unmounted stamps, to see how it has held up. 
Not so good ...

Now I am not positive ... I faintly remember at some point Aleene's Tack it Over and Over was very hard to find.  So I think I tried another glue?
So I can't be 100% positive it is the Aleene's that is failing.

Anyway, I have some pretty old Purple Onion unmounted stamps.  I used Aleene's at least on some of them, and stuck them to a plastic binder insert (not a page protector).  When I just checked, some are fine, and I think those are more recent ... , but some are horrible.  The adhesive is brown and dry and sticks to the binder insert, but peels off the back of the rubber. 

I don't know that Aleene's is worth the mess.  I remember putting my rubber stamps on a foil lined sheet and painting the glue on with a foam brush and letting dry over night.  You have to be careful to coat the entire back side, but not go over the edge to the front of the stamp.

At some point I gave up on that and started sticking my unmounteds to either cardstock (and then inserted in a page protector) or directly to the plastic binder insert with double stick tape.  I peel it off and then use poster tape (doesn't leave a mess) to mount to a block or to a stamp positioner.  If you're able to find the Sizzix Sticky Grid (I know, it's hard to find) that might work as well, though it is expensive.  A roll of Scotch Poster Tape isn't cheap either ... but it works, or use regular double stick tape in your binder, and Poster tape on your blocks, for easy cleanup.

You might want to do a google search on Aleene's longevity before you invest the effort.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 01:57:05 PM »
Heidi,

I just found this thread on Splitcoaststampers, some love it, some hate it (Aleene's)

Lots are experiencing what I have ... as it ages, the Aleene's sticks to the binder and peels off the rubber, but not completely, so then you are stuck cleaning the rubber.  Ugh!

ETA : Ok, so now I read to the very end of the thread and some say maybe I put too much Aleene's on?  And that I was supposed to unsticky a bit on my skin before mounting in a binder?  I'm sure I didn't know any of that. 

If I were you, I'd google a bit more to see if people still like it, years later, or start a new thread on splitcoast.  The thread I reference is from almost 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:03:30 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 02:14:38 PM »
Cindi, thank you for your thoughtful reply!  That is an idea about the sticky grid. I haven’t been able to get my hands on that yet.

I think since I started this thread, I found out that I can clean the tack n peel with water and soap and leave it to dry, just like an old clear stamp.  It does clean off the lint and get sticky again, which is nice. 

That makes me feel better about the tack n peel.  I have heard of some people putting tack n peel on a second stamp positioner to use with unmounted.  Maybe I could do that if I found a mini for cheap! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 02:59:16 PM »
Hahaha!  Look what I found while searching Splitcoast :

I have to admit, I just keep my unmounted stamps in ziplock bags, sorted by type. If you have them stamped out on a reference page, then you can just go to that bag.

Bjeans, glad you could use the poster tape idea. I am loving that stuff!

You could always buy the cling foam separately. I did that for a long time, but it is so much cheaper not to!

This was your post on Splitcoast on 09-17-2017!
I think you have your answer! 

I'm with you ... always searching for a better way! 

PS I found a pretty funny thread on Splitcoast about storage failures!  Seems like we are not the only ones not happy with our storage and searching for something better.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:02:05 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 04:59:31 PM »
Oh I am sure I did post on SplitCoastStampers. However, the Tack n Peel seemed to wear down quicker than I expected, after being awesome at first.  As well as being limited to the two blocks I have it on. 

(The other thing is that SCS is so big I am not sure which people are more knowledgeable.  What if people think I am!!! :laughhard:) Here, I know pretty much everyone has been stamping a long time.

Did I really keep them in ziplock bags for almost 18 months. That doesn’t seem possible!

And, yes, I am always wondering if there is a better way!  And, I do have a LOT of unmounted stamps now! 

~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 10:33:04 PM »
Before I went on my trip I applied the tack it over onto 4 of the stamps Jan gave me after I cleaned the backs off and I tried one of them in my Misti and it worked great, but I wasn't sure what to store them onto so they have been just sitting upside down with the tack it over side facing up, I was afraid of sticking them to something that wouldn't peel off from. I was going to ask what I should mount them on, I have transparency. I guess I will see over time how well it works.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 02:58:40 PM »
I think transparency will work, Connie.  I've also heard of using laminating film.  Just run it through a laminator to make it stiffer, then cut to the size you want and cling your stamps to it.  Most of mine that still have Aleene's on them, are mounted to white plastic inserts in a 3-ring notebook.  I think the plastic inserts probably came from the same place I got cling cushion?  Cling cushion also sticks to it.  I think I will gradually put them in sleeves and frig bins, a la Jennifer McGuire, as I worry about losing them out of the binder if they become unstuck.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 03:05:22 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 09:40:09 PM »
good idea, I have had some of my stamps do that on me :( went to take them out of the package and they just fell off the sheets, I did manage to find a closed in plastic binder I had bought for some stamps that have plastic sheets in them, I put them on those for now, will see how that works :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »
I have laminated the index sheets for a stamp set to stick the cling cushion to, so that is another idea.

I have the Avery Elle sleeves in to sizes, and when any regular packaging starts getting torn, I use them. 

After I posted last week, I worked on cutting out an unmounted rubber sheet that I bought from Club Scrap (they have their stamps on sale now, I think, too) and found that at least one of the stamps is larger than my block set up with the tack n peel.  Since I already have the Aleene’s, I was thinking of trying it on that set of stamps. 

~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 09:09:23 AM »
Go for it Heidi (Aleene's)!  It will probably last a very long time, and you can see if you like it.  If not, it won't be that hard to get it off one set. 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 04:13:40 PM »
Here was a good tutorial on unmounted stamps and how to apply the adhesive evenly to the back. I assume that club scraps adhesive is pretty much the same thing as Alenes.  Two storage options here too.

https://youtu.be/cL8j05UHy1g
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 09:37:17 PM »
neat idea for storing them with the index sheets and like the idea of stamping on the grid first to know if you have it straight or not