Author Topic: Creaative Challenge - Resist using Distress Glaze, May 18-23, 2020  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Last week I thoroughly enjoyed trying several techniques to make creative backgrounds. Using a thin layer of Distress Glaze* is key to creating backgrounds that have lots of interest. Definitely, there are several steps to each technique.

For this week’s challenge you will try your hand at making a few backgrounds.  Know that each of your backgrounds will be unique. I am NOT asking you to make your backgrounds into cards at this time. But definitely share your results in the gallery.

Start with the basic directions I wrote with my challenge card from last week. The directions are slightly modified from  Anna-Karin Evaldsson who has a You tube video which demonstrates this technique. https://youtu.be/ShialyR28yk  Note: Anna-Karin played with several of us back in the day of Two Peas and continued at the beginning of Artsy Inkers.  Her technique begins with using a stencil.
Below you will find 2 more examples of using embossing folders with this technique.
* If you happen to not have the distress glaze you might try as some stampers suggest, Petroleum Jelly.

Tips for using an embossing folder with circles:
The circle sizes vary on these embossing folders adds interest to the backgrounds.
I used a long peg tool with a foam tip for inking the small centers and narrow lines of these circles.
More space between the circles provides more space to develop the background space.

Hope you have lots of fun!...Jan

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:03:22 AM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Creaative Challenge - Resist using Distress Glaze, May 18-23, 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 09:15:43 AM »
This looks like fun! I can't wait to play with this.

April :smile:

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 09:50:09 AM »
I haven't used my glaze much so it will be fun to give it a try!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 11:31:25 AM »
Looks like a fun challenge and I'll be happy to use my neglected distress glaze.  Thanks for your beautiful sample and the link to Anna-Karin's video. 
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »
I made an attempt at this.  I will try again when I finish these cards I am working on.
But it was so on my mind I have to try it.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4959#top_display_media
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
I have not had much time for crafting this week so I am just reading this now.  This is a very neat technique. I do not have the distress glaze but I will try to come up with a background improvising with other product.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »
Gina K, was using crayon on wen of this week( video) in a similar way.  So that might work instead of distress glaze.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »
Sheila, that sounds like that would work!

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 06:14:55 PM »
Here are my experiments.  They didn’t work out how the tutorial looks but I do like them quite a bit and will definitely use them for a card sometime!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4965#top_display_media
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 11:25:09 AM »
If anyone else wants to try this and doesn't own distress glaze, I recently came across this video for making your own distress glaze from petroleum jelly and rubbing alcohol.

Here are my samples.

And a few more without the over stamping.  I thought the stars might be fun for a Halloween card.

I got the best results on watercolor paper.  I also found I liked applying the distress glaze with a foam blending tool. 

This was a fun technique challenge Jan!  Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:27:19 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 05:15:40 PM »
I was unable to find any petroleum jelly in the house.  I wonder if just buying distress glaze would be worth it.  What else do you use it for?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 07:17:49 PM »
Heidi, I've seen distress glaze used to protect watercolor (say you used distress ink on a postcard, or on an envelope ... you might want to protect it from water damage)  It really brightens the look of oxide ink... I can't remember what kind of paper they were on, or if that made a difference.  I'm sure there are youtube videos out there.  I'm thinking you could stamp with it too and would get a resist ... it's a goopy enough consistency that it would stick to the rubber or clear stamp ... I'll have to try that later.  It did work well as a resist with stencils!  You can definitely tell where it was applied.

*Do not put it on your stamps, see notice a few posts down.

I hope others will chime in, or provide youtube links if you have them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:25:58 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 09:07:24 PM »
Oh man make sure you watch Tim's video on the glaze, if i remember right he said the glaze would mess up your stamps, don't remember which 2 hour video he said that in though.  I am hoping some time to play soon guess we will see, Greg wants to go to a park a few hours away tomorrow so I don't know if I will get time tomorrow but maybe Sunday. I have not seen videos of what to use instead of the glaze.

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 10:12:08 PM »
I am having trouble posting my submission for this fun challenge.  When I try to post my submission, it comes up with a previous card I had made.

Sorry about this!

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4922#top_display_media