Stamping/Crafting Fests! > Winterfest 2020 Challenges and Chats

WF2020 - Card Recipe Chat and Discussion

(1/3) > >>

howdyheidi:
Many of you may have your old cards saved on your computer or phone somewhere.  Or in this gallery or your blog.  I happened to be scanning through a bunch of the cards I made in the last year and I realized that some of them seemed to be made with the same “recipe.” 

Do you think about “card recipes” when you are creating?  If you needed to make a card fast, would knowing your card recipe be a help?

What about trying new things?  When you look at other peoples cards, do you think of just the sketch they used, or the different components and techniques they used for their layers?

Please give me your input on this.

And then if you would, look through your cards and see if you can find a “recipe” and share a link to one of the cards and write the recipe here. 

howdyheidi:
Here is one of two “Card recipes” that I noticed in my cards.

1) embossed background that is matted
2) stamped and colored focal point, cut with a shaped die
3) sentiment stamped on a strip

Here is a recent card where I used that recipe, I think most of you have seen it:  http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/2020/01/new-sympathy-card-series-january.html

Yankee:
I try and photo all my cards, to keep track of what I have done.  So I looked at them, as you asked.
The only things that stand out  are how many different things I have tried.  But there is always some stamping and embossing somewhere, and the only matting is the card base color showing. I almost never mat a card, I just don’t like the weight it adds.  Once I got some black paper ( computer weight) and that added no weight to my project.  But I haven’t found that in years.

Canadian, eh:
Yankee, you can get lightweight black paper at Paper Garden.ca

This is a great topics. 

What I have noticed about my cards is that I like to try a wide variety of card shapes and sponge work. 

I used SCS tutorial a lot for my 3-D cards.

SPONGING

You can use small sponges or blending brushes to do this technique. 

1.  Sponge before adding stamps so that your images are stamped out crisp
2.  Using a light colour, sponge on ink, in a circular motion, starting off your paper and blending inwards until there is a hint of your white background.  This adds depth to your work.
3.  Repeat if you want to darken your image.
4.  Using a darker colour of ink, repeat by moving your sponge/blending brush in a circular motion, starting off your cardstock, moving inwards.
5.  Often, I like to sponge the corners inwards.  Sponge dark ink from tip of corner inwards on all four sides.  This takes away the "square look" of a card.

Conniecrafter:
interesting, I will have to look through my cards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version