Author Topic: Ink-16 2nd chance Warm-Up  (Read 9043 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Ink-16 2nd chance Warm-Up
« on: October 14, 2016, 03:34:38 AM »
INK16 Warm-up & Shine    For posting in gallery:  INK16 W-UP & shine

Warm Up NOW Open for play[/size]: Noon Friday 10/14/16 to Noon Saturday 10/15/16 your time.

Overview:  I love the random blending of flowing ink colors as well as some sparkle and shine accents.  With this technique you will combine sprays for one-of-a kind results. 

Focus for this warm-up is to learn the new technique presented.  As with alcohol inked backgrounds these may not look as smashing until you use them as part of a card.  But for now the focus is enjoyed some playtime with no time limits and no defined quantity to make…just having fun with mixing spray inks to make a few backgrounds.

Supplies needed for Blended Spray Ink Technique with shimmer:  glossy cardstock, spray inks (I used Dylusions) including 1 shimmer spray (I used Heidi Swapp’s gold lame and Ranger’s biscotti perfect pearls mist), water mister, heating tool, empty box for spraying and rags/paper towels/or baby wipes.  You are welcome to adapt if you don’t have the exact supplies but please share what products you choose to use. 

Technique steps:

•   Wet glossy cardstock with spray mister.
•   Spritz spray inks and let it puddle. Tilt and move paper around allowing the color to run and spread.
•   Repeat with another color.
•   Repeat with a 3rd color and shimmer mist.
•   Dry with heat gun.

Tip--keep a couple extra pieces of paper within reach.  If your paper becomes flooded with too much ink dab some off onto a fresh piece of paper. 

Gallery Posting:  Backgrounds posted in the gallery by the closing time for this warm-up challenge and linked on this discussion thread will be entered into a random RAK drawing.

[/b]INK16 2nd W-U chance
A 2nd chance random drawing will be held to select the winner among players who use backgrounds made during the Warm-up challenge to make cards for an other INK16 challenges which allows card combinations. Limited to 2 card entries.  Please label entries INK16 2nd W-U chance and post your gallery links on this thread by the close of INK16. 

It’s time to get inky!...Jan

PS. The gallery is not cooperating at the moment.  I hope to post my sample backgrounds by Friday afternoon.
Good news I was able to post my samples in the gallery.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:42:52 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Warm Up NOW Open for play
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »
Hi Jan!  I'm anxious to see your sample and try this technique.  I went to look at your blog to see if you had posted there.  Perhaps if the gallery is not cooperating you could post on your blog and share a link?
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 10:41:01 AM »
Sounds interesting and fun! Hope to do several backgrounds after lunch! :smile:

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 12:17:45 PM »
This sounds fun. I also would love the see the samples, so I might go try to find a box so I will be ready later on. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 12:46:03 PM »
Very cool backgrounds, Jan.  And thanks for the warm-up challenge.  I don't have many spray inks because I tend not to like the results I've gotten when using them.  I do like the shimmer mists.  So I'm not sure if I've got any colors that will work well together, but maybe this challenge will change my mind about sprays. 
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
I love how enthusiastic Artsy Inkers are about trying new techniques :smitten: 

My experience:  Do know I adapted this technique from one that was not working for me. I have used about 8 full sheets of cardstock to experiment with this technique.  Since glossy cardstock is not absorbent I found the wet spray paint ran off the edges with very little movement when I used A2 sizes. I found working on the 8.5x11 allowed the colors to flow together more.  I also learned it doesn't take a lot of water to get the ink moving.  I really like the sheen of the painted glossy cardstock and look forward to using my blended papers for holiday cards and diecuts.

I can't wait to hear about your experience with this technique.
Thanks for playing!...Jan

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »
Sarah-If you have distress reinkers or perhaps food coloring you might want to try to make some of your own sprays.  Or might want to try 1 plain color and then add 2 shimmer mists.  This is all about playing and seeing what you can create.  Thanks for considering this challenge!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:20:25 PM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »
I have had fun with this. I love making backgrounds so this was right up my alley! I made 4 backgrounds. It is hard to see the shimmer in the pictures but they really shine! If I took the pictures in direct light they were too shiny and you could not see the background well. Can't wait to use these on cards! Thanks for the challenge! :smile:

April

Here are the links to the backgrounds --

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2931#top_display_media

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2932#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 07:04:56 PM »
I had fun and I really like doing this with the glossy cardstock.  I only had the small sheets so that is what I used.

I had to make my own mists with distress reinker, and I should have used more reinker as the background turned out very light.  You will see in that description that I added a second layer of mist.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2933#top_display_media

Then the second background I used two Heidi Swapp mists and one of my reinker mists and it was much darker, but not dark.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2934#top_display_media

Thanks for this great warm up!  My photos are quite poor, but hopefully when I make them into projects it will be daytime and I can get better photos.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 09:07:37 PM »
I did manage to use a couple of the sprays that I have for the first one.  It is definitely sparkly, which doesn't show in the picture, because the sprays are metallic.

First Background

Then I made a couple using Distress Reinker as Jan suggested.  But I didn't have an empty spray bottle.  So I just sprayed the paper with water, dropped the ink on the paper and sprayed with water again to get the ink moving. 

Backgrounds 2 and 3

Thanks for a fun warm-up challenge. 
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »
Thanks April, Heidi and Sarah for filling the gallery with some terrific backgrounds!  I tried to post comments on everyone's gallery posts. 

Spraying onto glossy cardstock was a whole new twist for me.  Although it took me a while to figure out how much water to spray I think all of are usable backgrounds...hope to see some made into cards this week!

If others want to play this Warm-Up is still open until noon today your time.  If you are later that's okay...you just will not be included in the RAK drawing.  But please play if you like and link here if you wish.

Thanks for sharing in the fun!...Jan

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 11:44:10 AM »
Here is my attempt at this challenge :  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2945#top_display_media

The only spray I had was color wash other than my glimmer mist, I put the colors I used on the post.
I laid down the wash and then remembered I was suppose to water the piece down first, so that was added next and then the 3 different glimmer mist I had.  The only ink refills I have are brown and black so I didn't try using them, plus they are Memento ink and I didn't know how that would work.

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 04:20:22 PM »
Finally have time to post.  I did it first thing this morning.
15 minutes spraying and an hour trying to unclog bottles and transferring to other bottles :tickedoff:
Then my daughter came over, then my son.
So finally have time to post

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/thumbnails.php?album=91
Born on the fourth of July

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
I am going to try this tomorrow.  I know it's too late for the drawing but I still want to try it.  Thanks for hosting.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 03:47:52 PM »
Well it is tomorrow and I tried this.  I don't know if you can tell by the picture but in real life this turned out pretty nice.  Here is the results.  A very fun challenge.  thank you
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......