Author Topic: What are you looking for in a swap?  (Read 5635 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: What are you looking for in a swap?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
Melissa- A group swap is easily possible with ATC's if folks will kept them flat to keep postage cost in control and without hard bumps or lumps of items that can damage other ATCs when packaged.  Nine ATCs fit in one baseball card sheet protector and folds perfectly in thirds to fit into a business envelope.  Once they are swapped the challenge could be to make a decorative items with them.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »
LOL, Melissa! 'My Bad'! I must have had my other eyes in when I read your post! Forgivemealltopieces? :laughhard:

That said, I do like the idea of a swap that is (finished) project based--as opposed to swapping BGs, masterboards, etc. Not that those swaps wouldn't be a 'no thank you' for me.

I hope you will explore a version of the quilting block swap. Won't promise to join, but if it works for me? I'd be 'in'.

Given our growth in offering both challenges & swaps here @ AI, I won't say nay to being a participant in a 'multiple' item swap. Depends on how the hoster hosts it. KWIM?

Since LeighAnn (Pug) is planing to do an ATC (non-multiple) swap in 2015, I'm betting we will all have a chance to explore traditional & non-traditional versions of them.  I'm betting she will read Jan's post & incorporate it as her 'year of ATCs' progresses.

Hooray for us AIs! We grow & glow as individuals & a group!
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »
No hurt feelings Daniel--just wanted to do a little kidding.  :) 

Jan, do you mean with you example of 9 ATCs fitting an envelope, that one could send 9 ATCs to one person, then that person would pick one out and then send it to another person, and that person would pick one……and so on and so forth until all 9 people had an ATC?  I never thought of that!  But if that is not what you meant, could you clarify?

My brain was stuck thinking if 5 people were in a swap and all of us wanted to start a swap where we all had the exact same things we all made for each other, then each would have to make 5 things and mail 4 of them, one to each person. 

~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »
Jan, I wonder what your idea for ATC is specifically too.

I wonder if we could combine an ATC swap with a "finish the project" swap by requiring the recipient to make a card or other project with the ATC.  I think that sounds fun. 

Lots of great ideas!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »
Melissa, I was only trying to point out that there are ways to keep costs low for mailing swaps if someone wants to host a large group swap activity like your quilters did.  I am not familiar with your described method of swapping but perhaps the quilters were geographically closer than we are.  If we have international participants it could take a couple months for folks to make their IRL selections.

Let me explain one of the common styles of swapping that papercrafters use.   It is the host’s responsibility to define not only the project but also the rules for swapping (host may ask for input but the final decision is the hosts and they may certainly choose to vary from this example.

The Swap Description defines the details for the players. The description for an ATC swap often defines the following:
Maximum players: generally 9 for ATCs.
Last day & time for sign-up:
Project description:
Preparation for mailing: Number of swaps required-I ask swappers to prepare the # of ATCs for all the other players signed-on by the deadline. ( I don’t ask for them to mail their own to me since I only return it. Back of ATC should include-Name of Swap/date/ Swapper's signature. As host I generally provide a regular business return envelope if the one mailed cannot easily be recycled. I ask for a label with the players name and address to be used for the main address on the return envelope and postage equal to what they used to mail their ATC +1 extra stamp (in case needed otherwise it will be returned.)

Deadline for host to receive all swaps:

How the swapping process works:  I use a Round Robin method of swapping.  All envelopes are numbered as they arrive. I count the # of ATCs sent and postage and make a written note on the outer envelope so each player gets back the exact # as sent.  I also notify the player that the swap has been received.

I begin the actual swapping by opening up the swap envelopes in # order and remove the ATCs from the sheet protector and leave the original envelope with each page protector to identify the swapper.  I place them in # order with # 1 to my left and continue in a semi -circle as if I were dealing a deck of cards. I  If someone sends their own ATC, I leave it in the protector to avoid any confusion later.  I begin dealing #1’s ATCs onto the each page protector-1 for each except for the player whose  ATCs are being distributed.  I continue dealing each swapper’s ATC in # order.  If someone drops out for some major life issue extra ATC’s are returned to the person who made them.  All the distributed ATC’s are placed in the page protector and then in the return envelope. If the ATCs are all flat and no rigid edges…postage will be minimal.  If there are international players their stamps will not work for returning there swaps and will need to coordinate with the host. The current global forever stamp is $1.15

Players are asked to notify the host that the swapped ATCs have been received.

Heidi, yes you can have multiple layered requirements for a swap.  Hope my providing lots of details helps you envision the details for the host as well as the players.  They take some time but it makes it a manageable task.  Please ask if you have other questions.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:29:35 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »
Jan,

Thanks for posting the rules.  The irritation with the PO arises when not all post offices read them the same way!
Sadie's seems to be a real pain!  Even different clerks in the same office can vary.  I think it becomes expensive when your stuffed envelope is deemed a "parcel".

I'll try to explain KIAE.  We send each other kits that consist of individual elements that the receiver assembles in to a finished project.  The finished project has to include at least 3 items from the kit.  Usually we are not starting a project that the receiver then adds to and finishes.  Sometimes we might "make something", like a background, and it may or may not be one of the three items the receiver chooses to use.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 10:19:10 AM »
Sorry, my post seems a little unrelated.  I didn't see that we were on page 2!
Cindi

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 04:52:59 PM »
LOL. Cindi! No prob with your post being on 'page 2' of this thread! ;D

One of the benefits of being a 'regular' member of any group is the ability to understand some of the 'short speak' we members can use. And we all are good at filling in the blanks for anyone who isn't 'clear' on what we're doing--aka "What you talkin' about. Willis?' :laugh:
Daniel