Author Topic: Inktober Fest 18: EP techniques ***Winner  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Inktober Fest 18: EP techniques ***Winner
« on: October 26, 2018, 10:48:55 PM »
Heat embossing techniques are now trending on You Tube. I have linked several technique videos below to encourage you to experiment with some ideas for new uses of EP.  If you don't find a new technique that strikes your fancy on the list...adapt as you desire or create a new technique of your own as long as you use embossing powder and the technique is new to you...all is good.

When your card is complete please post a photo in the gallery using the title Inktober Fest18:EP techniques. Then return here to provide a link to your card in the gallery and share your experience with the technique. Be sure to post the # of the of the inspiration video or the actual link if you found another video to try.

I will be offering a RAK or 2 for this challenge and so I encourage you to try more than 1 technique.  The RAKs will be selected randomly with 1 entry for each card.  Please no combos with other Inktober Fest challenges.

PLease post any questions on this thread.

Hope you find some new wonderful ways to embellish your cards!
Happy creative moments!...Jan

1.  Enhance your stamped image by heat embossing parts of your stamped image with gold EP. Video by A Unity Stamp Company-A Quick Tip 

2.  Emboss Resist. Clear emboss (tree) image and sponge ink over top of image-heaviest in center and blend outward.   Video by Gina K 

3.  Create a heat embossed background stamp image with white EP and color with permanent markers (like Sharpies). Video by The Frugal Crafter-Lindsay Weirich

4. Heat Emboss a background image on heat resistant acetate for an overlay.  Color a gradient blended background to add color to the overlay.  Video by Justine Hovey

5. Stencil with embossing paste, add and heat embossing powder over top of paste and dab on color. Video by Christina Griffiths.

PLEASE NOTE--2 more great links can be found on the 3rd post on this thread.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:18:58 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Inktober Fest 18: EP techniques
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 06:41:58 AM »
Thanks for the challenge!  I have heard of a couple of these techniques, but will have fun watching them and then trying a couple!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 06:46:06 AM »
Thanks Heidi!

***Here are2 more videos #6 & 7*** did not want to link properly on my challenge page. These are really worth seeing!

6. Emboss paper with a 3-D embossing folder then drag embossing ink over image and heat emboss. Video by Sandi

7.  Stamp images in white ink on dark colored paper.  Color with white pencil and emboss in gold EP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c74NwcCc2zU&t=121s  Video by Jessica Balls.

Jan
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:07:20 PM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:55:57 AM »
I have lots pf EPs. My inks are a bit dicey for working with EPs, but hope to try out some things for this challenge. TY Jan!
Daniel

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 09:21:53 AM »
Wow I have a lot of video's to watch  O0, I haven't embossed in a while

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 12:13:01 PM »
I see one I have not done before! can't wait to try it!

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 12:48:56 PM »
Thanks for all of the video links ... I think I have an idea ...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:24:32 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 08:23:11 PM »
I chose technique #7, I suggest to remember to stamp and leave the stamp there, I totally forgot that part and had to realign all my flower stamps to do the gold embossing part. Couldn't get a good picture without to much shine off my butterfly :(

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4189#top_display_media

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »
Jan. I emboss everything.  I watched the videos and have done all the ideas.
Can I just close my eyes and pick one, even if I have done it before?
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
Jan. I emboss everything.  I watched the videos and have done all the ideas.
Can I just close my eyes and pick one, even if I have done it before?

Wow Sheila Rose, you are the only player who has tried all of these techniques...that's terrific!  Shall we start referring to you as the queen of Embossing Powder.:smitten?  In my challenge description I wrote specific ways you can continue playing this challenge which includes that you must learn something new. 

There are a couple of ways to use EP techniques that I didn't post  with the original tutorials....one is "painting" with embossing powders"painting" with embossing powders.

If you use any of these links that I am now providing you may want to switch from using a plastic spoon to a 1/2 of a straw.  Cut 1 end to a point by cutting it off at an angle slighter sharper than this / diagonal.  Use this as a scoop for applying of small amounts of EP in a small area. 

There are also several WOW technique videos that use UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel...sold by Ranger in tall bottles.
Other fun techniques include:
Cool Effects

Embossing with glass beads

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 04:02:37 PM by Far North »

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »
I did the painting with embossing powders.  I painted a diecut balloon.  I embossed the lines with a pen, the rest was done with paint brush.  I was happy with all except the dark pink embossing powder( wrong color)
If I spent a couple more hours I could have gotten it better.
Yesterday, I did #3, got it half finished and noticed the ink was desolating the white embossing powder.  That was when I remembered doing it before.  It put white on my markers, they were sharpies but new.
Did you know you could emboss with a eraser papermate pen?  It will take on any dark color embossing powers color.  Great for fixing embossing problems.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 05:30:46 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 10:46:39 AM »
I enjoyed this challenge! On the first card I used technique #1. I used copper ep instead of gold on the leaves and around the edges of the die.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4201#top_display_media

The second technique I did was #7. Here is one background I made using burgundy card stock.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4202#top_display_media

Here a finished card I made using a black background. I first used a white pencil on both backgrounds that was from Japan ( it had Japanese writing on it ). It did not look real white, so I used my white Prisma pencil and I liked it a lot better.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4203#top_display_media

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »
I used the technique demonstrated by Justine Hovey in sample 4.

Even though I have heat resistant acetate in my stash ... I can't remember actually ever heating it.  I pretty much avoid stamping on acetate in general, because I tend to smear ...  using a large background stamp, and a hinged stamp positioner really helped.

Thanks Jan for giving me the push I needed to get stamping, and particularly, heat embossing again.  It's still magic watching it melt!

Here is my Thanksgiving card.
Cindi

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »
I used a variation of #1. I intended to do it just like the video with leaf stamps and gold, but as I was looking through my stamps I found this christmas tree line stamp and had another idea.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4235#top_display_media

I may have time to try another idea, we shall see!  Thanks for offering this challenge!
~~Heidi~~