Author Topic: Why Stamping?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Why Stamping?
« on: October 24, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »
With another party pretty much over (still time for hangovers), it might be fun to revisit a topic we've chatted about both here & back at 2Ps.
I'm talking about why we use stamps in our craft pursuits.
Some of may be using stamps more; some less. We may be making fewer cards, tags etc. We may be creating more stand alone pieces like wall/table art. Or lots of other possibilities.
So if you care to share, feel free. And add your own Q's relating to the topic.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Why Stamping?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Here are my first thoughts!

Stamps are a dependable piece of reproducible artwork and they last a long time.

Also, even if I were a good artist (or had good handwriting), stamps allow me to use a variety of illustration/art styles.

Stamps can be simple, in a simple project, or you can do all kinds of complicated.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 11:14:43 AM »
Terrific 'first thoughts' Heidi. I agree with all of them.

In both my private & professional crafting life, I came late to stamps. Although I have some talent for drawing, most of the crafts I enjoyed making & designing were dimensional. I had no interest in card-making & even less in scrapbooking. Those seemed to be what most crafters were doing with stamps.
But... As a pro craft designer I had access to stamp mfrs who were happy to provide materials for me to explore. And explore I did. But I also discovered that I enjoyed doing the graphics that stamping allowed. As Heidi says, I can use the same stamp images over & over without duplicating a piece. I can go simple or simply crazy with just a very few stamps. I don't even have to like an image to be able to make something I do like (or at least don't hate)  ;D
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
I like stamps because I don't draw.  It's nice to be able to let someone else do the drawing for me and I can be creative with other aspects of the project. 

I do mainly stamp on cards.  Maybe someday if I have grandchildren I will stamp on onesies? 

Now with digital die cutters, or even other paper techniques, and all of the printed papers, I don't always stamp.  Sometimes it's only the sentiment that gets stamped.  I need to remember/take time to use my stamps on the papers before they get assembled (for example on 3D paper projects like treat containers). 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »
There are so many die cutting techniques!  To add stamping to one of these projects, you could use a background stamp OR you could create a background or frame using small stamps.  I really like both of these methods.  Sometimes people don’t even recognize that these backgrounds are stamps, with is also awesome! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 05:30:01 PM »
Stamping was my excuse for collecting hot air balloon stamps!
But as I learned how to stamp and all the different ways of using them.  The more I love them.
I have been given three different machines, but I don’t feel like I made a card if it isn’t stamped on.
I know that is silly.  My neighbor does nothing but die cutting and printing the insides with her computer, so nothing is stamped.  They look great, but not my interest. At least not now!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 07:03:36 AM »
After lots of fun hours playing with my alphabet stamps as a kiddo without any background or guidance I moved onto explore one craft after another often resulting in minimal success or little long-term interest.  Stamping moved into my life in spurts and dribbles.  But always with good results with the images. I explored a broad range of materials with the help of library books.  When I arrived in Alaska I found 1 small cart vendor in the mall who sold PSX stamps.  She provided the the one and only opportunity to buy products from which I ventured out with my own ideas to make handcrafted projects for my staff and volunteers.

*** Tell us about the top 3 ways technology has enhanced your stamping experience?   #>

Good discussion! Thanks Daniel for posting this thread!
...Jan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:34:27 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
 *** Tell us about the top 3 ways technology has enhanced your stamping experience***

I’m not 100% sure what you mean by technology, but these are my thoughts.

I never went to any Stampin Up or Close to my Heart parties (back when they were popular).  My budget was too tight to go to these kind of things, so I didn’t get any stamping tips or techniques in person.

Online videos on websites, and then, later, Youtube, provided stamping tips, and later an explosion of techniques and ideas.  Before this, I had some stamps, and I basically stamped them in one color (for example a bookplate) and had fun, but did very little with them.  The first tutorial I remember copying was for stamping coasters on tiles.

When I started cardmaking, I loved the videos that showed a card start-to-finish.  I do not like those much anymore (except by favorite designers) and now prefer quicker technique videos.

Online Stamping forums - 2Peas allowed me to find a community of stampers and challenges. I think that counts for 2!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:20:30 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
 *** Tell us about the top 3 ways technology has enhanced your stamping experience***
Heidi said:
I’m not 100% sure what you mean by technology, but these are my thoughts.

Jan's response: Thanks Heidi your response was totally on target.   I didn't want to limit responses by defining which type of technology from lap tops to cell phones to specific programs or web sites and beyond.  This may include tips of what you may do that perhaps others don't even know is possible.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 06:40:08 PM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 09:49:38 AM »
Love your Q, Jan. Thanks for adding it!

Tech as a stamping enhancement?

1. Well certainly the net & access to communities, supply sources & info about materials & more.
2. The proliferation of new types of stamps (clear, cling, etc.), as well as new inks, EPs & such.
3. The proliferation of tools & materials not as directly stamping-related ; dies & die-cutters are probably the best examples that spring to mind. Back when I had them I made many original stamps from craftfoam using diecuts as the starting point.

My 2 & 3 techs were/are examples of how a craft like stamping pushes technology.
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
Daniel, you mentioned the increased # of stamps. I am one that can easily purchase a new stamp that some one just showcased on the Internet only to learn that there was already a similiar one on the market that I liked better.  Now "my rule" is to go to at least 2 large stamp websites and search for the topic (like daisies; snowflakes or leaves) and check-out all the choices. 

Another idea I saw on I believe it was Connie's gallery posts is that she often included a person's name in the photo's file name. I sometimes find it is hard to remember what theme of cards I have sent a person previously.  For a while I posted a copy of the photo in a person's e-mail contact but found that too time consuming for me.  Thanks Connie for this faster enhancement!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 04:48:44 PM »
I love all the fun techniques and the many ways to use stamps. One can make a card fairly quickly with stamps compared to other crafts. I am not one to stay on one project for a long time.

Since I am a stamper, I just can't make a card without one!  :smile: I do love all the dies and other elements that I can use with them.

I do not like to use digi's either. Even though you can change the size of them, it seems to me you can do so much more with the stamp in hand.

Technology has enhanced my stamping by allowing me to see videos on techniques, seeing ideas on the net, and getting to participate in challenges.

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »
Although I do some other crafts (like crochet) I also feel like my main craft is stamping and I like to do it on most projects. I WANT to do projects other than cards (in addition to the cards I need and use) but I don’t often do so.

The stamping on coasters project I did before I considered myself a stamper! 

What stamping do you do that are not tags or cards? Is it regular, or just every once in a while?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
I have wondered why most stampers here only make cards.  Sarah is one of the few who talked about the decorative canvases she was working on but I never saw any photos. I enjoyed seeing Sadie's canvas presents she made for the grandkids.  Over the years I've used my stamps and a wide variety of stamping supplies to make many gifts. I love making and giving homemade gifts.  Often my first work with a new type of material begins with a starter project for a challenge or swap. 

It feels like stampers did a total flip to cards only...with lots of design team videos and websites focus almost entirely on cards.  April I too don't like to work with digi's.  I spent too much of my working life on a computer. 

Heidi, what do you feel keeps you from jumping into some stamping projects?  Do you have a specific interest? 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:38:05 PM by Far North »