Author Topic: Pantone Color of the Year 2018  (Read 3236 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Pantone Color of the Year 2018
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
Ultra-Violet
https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2018

What do you think?  Will you use this color?  Do you have supplies in this color already?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Pantone Color of the Year 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
I use violet very rarely.
Maybe for shading but deep blue is my go-to
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
I like purple but sometimes find it a difficult color to craft with.  That may make this a good challenge for crafters!  I have some purple supplies, but I am not sure I have this shade, I either have very dark or much brighter, although this may be close to the Distress Concord Grape.  I think it goes along with the current galaxy trend, already in full swing.

In past years, I had seen Pantone bring out color combos that include their color of the year, and I didn’t see that this time, but I would like to see more ways to use purple!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
I don't do a lot in purple shades but maybe I will have to try and do that more, since I do flowers and birds a lot I guess I will have some unique flowers and birds :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 09:26:51 PM »
I usually use purple and blue together. This is a pretty purple. It will be fun to use!

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
Yes, I like that shade of purple too.  I probably have some supplies as I was trying to find the right shade for DD's wedding last year.  I think hers was more plum.  I recently bought a little pot of purple shimmer paint that might match ...

You're right Heidi, it does go with the galaxy backgrounds that are popular.
Cindi

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »
Oooo I love this color! And galaxies. but I don't know how to do them?

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 10:21:05 AM »
Oooo I love this color! And galaxies. but I don't know how to do them?

Well, you may be in luck, because it seems like there are a lot of ways to do them.  Just search youtube.  Basically, I have seen people just watercolor or sponge color onto a background, then add black and dot with a white gel pen for the stars.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 07:48:24 PM »
As I looked through the Pantone website I found a cool tool that might make it easier to use this year’s color.

Pantone provides 8 Ultra Violet palette examples which offer a broad range of colors including bright, deeper hues, pastels, mid-tones, and metallic colors.  Each palette offers a distinctive feeling and mood which is presented in three suggested color harmonies. The color harmonies provide examples of what individual colors in the palette can be mixed together and the proportion is shared through the length of the color bars as well a brief interpretation of the feeling/mood it creates

Link to Pantone's 8 sample Ultra Violet palettes. These palettes are located half way down the page.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:19:12 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »
Thanks for the link, Jan!  I'm really liking the first combo, Purple Haze, because some of those colors are close to what we've painted in the family room/kitchen and living room.  So maybe I can add a pop of purple this year?! 

Also, did you notice, that page gives the CMYK color formula that you might be able to use to print that color if you have graphics or photo software?  I can use it in the Silhouette Design software and print from there. 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »
Jan, those color combos were exactly what I was looking for!  I wonder if I just missed them the first time around or if they added them. Either way, thanks for sharing!

Under the drama queen combo, there is a color harmony that includes a rich red, lighter green and the ultra violet.  That could be an interesting Christmas card color combo.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:15:14 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »
That is a really pretty shade of purple.  And I do use purple often in my card making.  Although, I'm still struggling to figure out a good purple in Copic markers.   Sometimes I just want purple, like the Crayola crayon 8 pack purple, and none of my Copics are quite right. 

Thanks for the color combo link, Jan.  Some of those color combos are ones I never would have thought of.  And I agree with you Heidi, rich red, lighter green and ultra violet could make a really interesting Christmas card combo - a future challenge perhaps?
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 04:12:41 AM »
Yesterday, 1/16/2018, Ellen Hudson’s Classroom website included a post with card examples using Purple Haze.   In addition they also shared product lines they sell that include Purple Haze and complimentary colors. Here is the link.  I found the later fascinating since of course generally I am only familiar with ink colors I own.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:17:05 AM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »
I so love the color blend on that first card in the link

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »
Thanks for the link, Jan!

April :smile: