Author Topic: Share your crafty Christmas gifts  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Share your crafty Christmas gifts
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »
Did you get any new stamping (or other crafty) Christmas gifts this year?  Have you had a chance to play with them yet?  Please share!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Share your crafty Christmas gifts
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »
My daughter asked me what I would like for Christmas and I happened to be looking at a die set on Amazon at that moment, so I showed it to her and she ordered it for me.

It is Hero Arts Infinity rectangle die set.  In the past I would never have ordered that set because rectangles should be easy enough to cut on your own ... but, I saw it in someone's "Favorites" video (probably Jennifer McGuire) and decided I'd like them.  I'm not in love with my trimmer so sometimes I feel my cuts are a little wonky.  I'm thinking this will give me more squared off rectangles and nice mats.  I'm not so sure though ... I did use it to make some late Christmas cards (after Christmas) and I felt some of the rectangles were a little fat in the middle.  I might need more practice, I tried angling the die as it went through my Big Shot to prevent warping.  Maybe it needs to go straight through?  I need to do some googling to see if anyone else had this problem.  So, hang tight, not sure if I can recommend these yet.

Mom and Dad gave me some shopping $$  8) so I'm thinking a trip to the LSS is in order.  I want to try her Cutterpillar trimmer.  Any opinions on the Cutterpillar?

My daughter also gave me a springform pan because I didn't have one, so if cooking is crafty, I'll count that too!  If you have a good recipe using a springform pan, I'd love it!

I'd love to hear what Santa brought you, even if you had to be your own Santa!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
Oooh, forgot to mention ... a friend gave me a die set that cuts box cards.  I haven't played with that yet.  Luckily she sent a photo with it so I can get an idea how it works.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:19:10 PM »
I have the spellbinders rectangles.  They don’t cut well on the edges and I have to sand the frayed cardstock!  I wish I had rectangle dies that cut well because I have the same issue with my trimmer.  Good luck with the Hero Arts ones!

You should make cheesecake in your spring form pan!

I mentioned in the chat thread that Santa got me some purple onion stamps.  They expand my collection so I hope to be able to use them with stamps I already have, too. I might be able to make some simple scenes.  I am looking forward to coloring with them!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »
I hope the rectangle dies do well for you, Cindi. Fellow stampers gave me gently used wooden stamps, a bag to store washi tapes in, a set of stamps with med. and small backgrounds, handmade background papers and stencils. I think there is more, but I don't remember! I am really trying to limit myself on buying new craft items, so I have not bought anything for myself except to replace some card stock and a few winter embellishments that were 70 - 80% off.

Before Christmas I did buy a set of 36 Prisma colored pencils that AC Moore had on sale for $10!!! The regular price was $60! This was a 3 day sale I just happened to see. I only have 12 Prisma colored pencils, so this was a good find.

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »
Heidi, Purple Onion stamps are so cute!  I'm sure you'll make something wonderful!
I hate it when dies and punches (& trimmers) don't cut cleanly!

I should try a cheesecake.  The only cheesecakes I've made are the mini ones with vanilla wafers in a cupcake liner.

April, those sound like some nice items from your friends.  Good find on the Prismacolor pencils!  My DH got me a set for Christmas years ago and I really like them. 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:02:58 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »
I have the Spellbinders A2 matting basics A & B sets and there deckled set and I use them ALL  the time.  Only certain papers don't always work great when cutting.

I shopped for myself this year.  I bought some dies and one sentiment stamp set from Spellbinders when they were having their 40% off sale just before Christmas.  I bought some more dies from Dies R us when they were having their 70% off sale on Die namites dies.  And just yesterday I bought 4 stamps sets that Paper wishes had for $6 regular $19.99.  Trying to only buy sales and things that are different from what I already have.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
Connie, I wonder if my set is just defective or if I need new cutting plates.  Most of my dies work pretty well, but my cutting plates are AWFULLY old.

I also will cut back on spending this year, but I will always need adhesive, and to replace things that are worn out.  New stamps and dies I will be very selective about, but I do like to have a few new things, too.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
Heidi, I use the Sizzix Precision Base Plate almost every time I die cut.  It's metal and replaces one cutting pad.  I really like it.

Connie, you found some great deals!

I bought myself the plaid stamp set from Concord & 9th.  I saw it being demoed in a bunch of youtube videos just before Christmas and had to have it.  I rarely buy anything not on sale, but that set was sold out so often that I did splurge and buy one for myself and one for a stamping friend for Christmas.  I haven't used it yet.  (Thus the Christmas All Year challenge this month is PLAID!)
Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
The only crafty gift I got was a booklet of polymer clay critter ideas.  Oh, and I got a couple of Michael's gift cards.

Before Christmas, I bought a bunch of Lawn Fawn stamps and coordinating dies, and the Lawn Fawn magic color slider dies.  I didn't used to be a fan of the coordinating dies - why spend the money, when I can just fussy cut the image out.  But when you've procrastinate and are rushing to get Christmas cards done, they are a real time saver.

After Christmas, I bought a journal, pens and stencils to start bullet journaling.

I too am on a spending moratorium for 2018, except for things that get used up (i.e. adhesive) or wore out (i.e. blades/ cutting plates). I spent way too much money on stamps & stuff in 2017, especially given how little stamping I did.  I so need to purge in 2018.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »
I will buy dies for certain stamps now, too.  The color layering stamps are hard to fussy cut neatly, so I have purchased some of those in recent months to help me use my stamps more.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »
I hope you like bullet journaling Sarah!  I used a Moleskine for bullet journaling, then part way through last year I tried a Heidi Swapp traveler's notebook style.  I haven't started yet this year but I bought a new Moleskine and I think I'm heading back to bullet journaling in that.  I started it a few years ago because I like the idea that notes are all in one place, not on little slips of paper all over the kitchen counter.  I'm not much of a planner, but I do make myself "to do' lists and it's satisfying to check things off!

On the topic of dies ...
Yes, those matching dies are pretty darn convenient aren't they?!
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 09:46:06 AM »
I got 2 die sets for Christmas which I look forward to using.  Since Christmas I found some good sales and ordered some of the oxide inks and replacements for some of my low alcohol inks that dried out in the moving process. My shipment was to arrive today but now the tracking is saying it  will be delayed due to the bad weather conditions.

Cindy-I have no experience with the Cutterpillar Pro.  But for a long while I have owned several trimmers mostly from Fiskars when then gave different models to their Fiskateers (no longer functioning) as prizes for their challenges. I had the small guillotine cutter that was always on my work surface for small cuts. And a lightweight larger one that was great when I worked at alternative locations in the house but it was only 5" wide with a fold out arm for larger cuts but that was a real pain for the my small surface alternative work spaces.  I also was gifted a really large one for cutting thicker items or multi-sheets.  I never used the lazar light much...it didn't ever seem to make much difference. But I did pull the trimmer out when making mass produced projects.  All of this is to say I agree with Jennifer McGuire's comments on her Favorite Things Tools video...that we all use trimmers in different ways and it may be helpful to give thought to what are our most have important features. Unfortunately one trimmer may not be sufficient.  I did see this morning that JoAnn's had the Cutterpillar Pro ABS Paper Trimmer on sale.  I think it would be terrific to try it out!

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 09:35:54 AM »
When my daughter and I went to the stamp show, she got me four sets I liked.  I like lots and didn’t know which ones she bought.  So a nice surprise.  My granddaughter found a resale show and got me a dozen used stamps with bunnies, and surprise I didn’t have any of them.  My daughter in law got me the embossing folder I wanted and couldn’t find and some cricket supply’s for the used cricket I was given and haven’t mastered yet! Plus one son gave me a huge gift card to a craft store!
So I did real good with the crafts!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 11:31:38 AM »
Wow!  You have lots of new toys to play with Yankee!  Can't wait to see what you make.  The gift card will be nice too, because it gives you permission to splurge on something you like but might not have wanted to spend on.

Jan, thanks for the little push to try the trimmer ... I'll let you know ...  I'm a little ticked at Joann's for calling it a "cutting machine" so their coupon won't work.  Fiskars trimmers do allow the coupon  :knuppel2: 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:33:09 AM by Iring »
Cindi