Author Topic: AIR - Back to the Beginning - Winner Announced:  (Read 7744 times)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
AIR - Back to the Beginning - Winner Announced:
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:23:49 AM »
I am late in getting my challenge posted, and almost decided not to. 

But here it is.

Back To the Beginning  before we all got fancy, cards were made with found items from around the house or a small choice of items to be purchased.

In this challenge you may not use the following items.

die cuts from any machines
punches
border punches
no stamping
no inking

You may use the following.

Solid or patterned papers
re purposed items
stickers
buttons
ribbons
cardboard
burlap
lace
doilies
typed sentiments
sticker sentiments
fonts
fabric
trims
older style brads

I know that I have not listed all possible Can't or Can use items.  Please ask

This challenge can not be combined with other challenges.

I am also having to use other forms of glue as my tape runner is out of commission and I am waiting for my replacement.

Please just have fun with this.    I feel sure that we all have a stash container with items that will work for you.     

I will upload a sample today.           

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:05:30 PM by Utah Ann »

Offline djc

• Stampers
Re: AIR - Back to the Beginning
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
No stamping?  No inking?  Oh, my!

You surprised me.  I thought you'd say "no patterned papers, no commercially-sold embellishments including stickers, and nothing that has gone through a machine." 

OK.  I just looked at the list again.  This is doable.  Buttons and bows.  And I have tons of ECD outline stickers.  Somehow, I don't think you meant to include those???
Another question:  How about embossing?  In the spirit of the challenge, I'm guessing that embossing folders are a no, but old-fashioned hand embossing might be OK?
Back to those buttons--I have tons of those that I think will qualify, but what about the ones now packaged and sold for card-making? 

You've got me thinking; that's for sure.  lol.

Thanks for the interesting challenge.
Daria
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:47:04 AM by djc »

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
What are ECD stickers? I was thinking of stickers that might have been around 15 years ago when I started scrapbooking. 

You are right about the paper, mostly it was construction paper is solid colors - but I will allow the older style pp papers (gingham and pattern papers, old style). 

Thanks for your reply.

Buttons like were in Gramma's button box for those of us old enough to remember.
Old style embossing with stylus and light board may be used.  Please make sure that you mention that that is what you used.

Any clarification and or suggestions to my lists are greatly appreciated. 

Waiting for Daniel to add his 2 cents worth.  Where is the cents sign on my key board.. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:56:44 AM by Utah Ann »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
Thank you for hosting a challenge. I am glad you decided to.  I am going to try to participate.

My experience with cards is possibly different than many since I did not start cardmaking till the last 4 years and I never scrapbooked. I had stamps and stamped items (coasters, gifts and such) far before I made a card, so I may not have the supplies that you are thinking of for this challenge.  I may have to look at this as a repurposing items challenge and maybe that will help me. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 12:09:50 PM »
Thank you, Ann, for the clarification.  I thought that was what you had in mind.  I still have my grandmother's button bag, but most of my buttons came from other people's grandmothers via eBay.

Outline Stickers (also called Peel-Offs) are used for a variety of techniques.  Essentially, you just lay down the sticker and then do whatever you would do with a stamped embossed image.  You can also put them on adhesive paper and then add glitter.  I usually use black ones, but here's one in our gallery that I did last year:  ECD Peel-Off Christmas Card

I came to card-making via stamping so, although I'm probably old enough, my experience doesn't go back prior to stamping.  I do lots of other things now to make a card, but they would all involve things on the Do Not Use List.

This is going to be a fun challenge.  I hope I can work up the energy to play.  I'm flaking out this weekend, and once again, I'll be away from home during the week.

Daria

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
Yikes, this is a tough one.  I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on.  And I'll add this to the cheat sheet.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 03:02:16 PM »
This sounds fun. I like doing something outside the box. Do silk flowers count? I used to buy them in a bunch and pull them off the stems to use on cards. I still have a bunch of those.

Stampwilly

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 07:35:22 PM »
yes silk flowers will work.  I still have a box full.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 11:28:35 PM »
Ann I remember my first card I made actually was a 8x10 page, lol!  ;D  It was made out of construction paper (it was all we had in the house and before I knew about pretty, smooth CS).... it didn't have any stamping and all I had were scissors and 12 ct colored pencils.  I did use a single hole punch from our school supplies to make "confetti" to glue on. 
~~Melissa :)

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »
Ok I was going to this, but the no stamping threw me.
I have never made a card without stamping!  Sorry!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
Ann, thanks so much for this fun challenge!  I really enjoyed playing with it!

Nora S

My Submission
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1619#top_display_media
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:52:39 PM by Nora S »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 03:30:10 AM »
I am glad you decided to host this challenge.  You have mentioned several times on the discussion boards the essence of this challenge.  I would like to play but like others it is hard to connect to your list of supplies.  I am sure we all have a story about our beginnings before we knew about so many products and how to use them.

But I really can't track back to 15 years ago and define what products were available. I am sure I was totally consumed with stamps and ink and not much else.  For me it was an issue of access...with no stores here with supplies, nor stampers that I knew and no computer access to purchase products and my supplies were limited to a few gifts from family.  My cards were probably thought of as very primitive. I recall trying to swap when I first got online and yet I had no idea what the items were that they wanted to swap. LOL!  I still don't know what form fonts (as on your list) came in other than stamps.

So anyways I jumped in and I have created a card that is reminiscent of what I made in the mid 60's for my sisters.  It showcases 3 of the first techniques I learned.  Overall I made my card as similar to what I was making when I was approximately a 6th grader.  I made it on typing paper because there were no choices.  Funny I still like white paper best!...but now I venture to watercolor paper too!

Ann if this is not okay for your challenge-no worries please don't include me in your drawing.  Thanks for hosting!...Jan
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:08:15 PM by Far North »

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »
Far North, Can't wait to see what you have created.  My list is not all inclusive - There are so many other items that could be used.  It doesn't have to be totally from 15 years ago.  Re purposed items items include a huge number of items - household items, old cards, etc.

I didn't mean to make this challenge so difficult for others it was just something that popped up in my head. 

This time around, AIR has offered a  a challenge or two  that are giving me a hard time as this one is to you.  We are few, but we are mighty.

Can't wait to see your card. 

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate them. 

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »
I just saw Nora's card.  My friend, you really hit the nail on the head.  Terrific card!  So now we all know this can be done and done well.

Daria

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »
Thanks for the fun challenge! I loved remembering things I used on cards long ago. Here is my entry.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1624#top_display_media

Stampwilly