Author Topic: INK15-Warm-up Activity  (Read 7073 times)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Re: PLEASE READ NOW--Challenge Prep pior to starting INK15-Warm-up Activity
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »
I managed to get that posted with 19 seconds to spare.  Whew.

Now I'll tell you what I did.  First I forgot to include green embossing powder in my initial pull and I ended up grabbing it for the pinecone. 

Stripes:
I used my ATG gun to create the diagonal stripes.  I started in the top corner - that was a mistake.  I should have started across the middle.  And you will notice some of my stripes aren't very straight.  I used the aged scarlet, aged hunter, and aged gold embossing enamel.  They are by Stampendous and were part of a couple of the Frantage embossing kits.  I don't love how the embossing enamel melts and I think I over heated a couple of the stripes in the middle.  But other than that, I think this work well as a background for a Christmas card. 

Pinecone:
I used a Martha Stewart stencil and glue pen.  My first attempt was a mess.  I was worried the glue would dry too fast, so I filled in a couple of the pine cone bits and added the embossing powder without lifting the stencil.  That made a mess.  The picture is the second attempt.  I still had an issue with the glue going under the stencil so it isn't as clean as I would like.  Because of that, I didn't use the pine branch part of the stencil.  Instead I just free handed it.  I never would have thought to use the glue pen with embossing powders but I really like it.  I think I may use it to add some embossing powder to some already stamped images I have.  I did have a spot that bubbled a little.  I think it was a spot were the glue was a little thicker.  The pinecone is the mahogany tinsel embossing powder and green. 

Polka Dots:
I used glue dots in small and medium.  I kinda wish I used green paper instead of the white and I think I may go back and color it green.  Again, I had a little bit of bubbling on one of the dots.  Also, you need to look at the dots before applying since some of them are less round than others.  But I was in a rush to get it done in the 30 minutes and post by noon.  I used red and silver tinsel embossing powder.  I really like how those emboss. 

Thanks for a cool challenge Jan.  It definitely got me thinking about my embossing powders in new ways.

Connie - I've had that same problem with my Zig embossing pen, which is why I hardly ever use it.  And then only with colored powder that will cover the blue/green tint of the ink. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 11:16:47 AM by Craft Nerd »
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re:--Cllosed-Challenge Prep for INK15-Warm-up activity
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »
WoW! Connie, Heidi, Sadie and Sarah you all worked fabulously through this warm-up!  I learned lots from each of you.  Thanks ever so much for sharing your experiences. 

I do think selecting a collection of products prior to beginning a season helps us focus on using some forgotten ones as opposed to becoming too overwhelmed and using the usual ones once again.

Zig pen- I find it a little awkward to use with the chisel tip and the uneven flow that I get sometimes.  I will probably use metallic powder with it.

Stripes-under the time constraints these all came out fabulously....one I will plan to use.

Glue dots-Heidi did you do anything special to get terrific coverage with the EP?  I really like Sadie's dimpled dots and think perhaps they could easily be transformed into jingle bells :-)  I always like texture.

The quickie glue pen is a definite a favorite for me! 

I will be posting the random winner tomorrow morning.

Hope to see a little more sparkle throughout the gallery.  Thanks so much for playing!
...Jan

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:19:37 PM by Far North »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Winner Posted--Challenge Prep pior to starting INK15-Warm-up Activity
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »

Yes it was a fun warm-up for all of us!  Unfortunately there is only 1 random winner.

And the random winner

For this warm-up is.............

Heidi!  Congratulations.
And again many thanks to everyone who played!....Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 03:41:33 PM »
Oh yay!  Thanks, I am excited!

I am just coming back to this thread to answer the question about the glue dots.  No I did not do anything differently, really.  I guess the only minor detail is that I did not touch those with my hands at all, so they were as sticky as possible.  I did not describe the powder, I used Recollections Detail Gold embossing powder.  They did turn out looking like brads and that was cool because you got the look without the bulk of a brad. 

Thanks so much for hosting, this was a good warm up.  I definitely don't use the embossing powders as much as I should. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 05:32:05 PM »
Heidi, thanks for your tip about not touching the glue dots...the sticky is what holds the EP in place before it is heated. Oils on our hands can compromise the sticky and the EP may blow off instead of melting. 

I think EP are making a slight come back.  I am seeing them on challenge links where I had not before.  Other than using clear and white I have several others that neglected other than my holiday cards. Now I hope to give my other colors more attention...at least I am going to try with my challenge cards.

Thanks again,
Jan 

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »
Congrats Heidi.... I didn't touch my glue dots with my hands either I was surprised how much they bubbled up so I added more embossing on top, maybe it is the brand, which I can't think what the name of it is that I used, LOL

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 09:08:40 AM »
I am sorry I was not able to do this one! I was just too busy getting ready to go on my trip. I love all the samples. I have TONS of embossing powders and would have loved to play. Great job everyone! Congrats, Heidi!!

Stampwilly

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 08:58:15 PM »
Congrats, Heidi!!!
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
INK 15-Warm-up Activity
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 03:42:27 PM »
congratulations heidi!