Stamping > Techniques

Masking or Layering Stamped images? A discussion.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Far North:
Another way to "deal with where the images need to be"....I keep thin pieces of thin packaging plastic to stamp my images on with stazon. I cut off excess plastic that will be in way with big lopping cuts. Generally the plastic is too thick to use as masks. Overlay a images until the desired layout is achieved. Tape together to keep the idea.  I use sharpies to mark in any areas where I might have coloring issues later.

yellowcherrios:
Sometimes I wil mask with just a sheet of paper or the corner of it or a piece I tore off…..which reminds me that I want to try the technique where hills/mountains are made with the torn paper. 

But back to using the sheet for masking: I use the piece of paper all the time when stamping with my scene stamps---I'll cover up the pond or the left tree line so I can add to the right or above or below the center scene stamp.   I have never fussy cut my scene stamps to use for masking…so far I haven't had to do that to get the scenes I wanted; the piece of paper has always worked, but that may be the nature of the scene stamp (things kinda blend when using them).

stampwilly:
I don't do much masking because I just don't like thinking about it! LOL! :-\ I usually fussy cut or stamp an image on a die to place over top and have other stamps in the background.

Stampwilly

howdyheidi:
My bigger trouble with masking is to find two or more images that "go" together well.  I have a larger set of stamps now than a year ago, but I still find it hard to find exactly what I want.

I most often use masking to put an image inside a frame stamp or something like that.  I don't usually keep my masks, as they get worn out quickly since i usually use copy paper, so I adjust how fussy I cut them with the specific project.  I practice a lot before each project when I use masking, so I just make adjustments as I go.

Looser:
Much as I tend to enjoy masking, there are occasions when I yearn to 'layer', but cannot. Case in point?

A fellow Club Posh member challenged us to create a stamped piece without layering any of the stamping. "Piece of cake!", says I. (Oh the sin of over-confidence) ;D   Here's what I made.  Not bad, but... Let me share why I wish I'd been able to so some layering.

With masking as my only option for the layout, I had to stamp the frog & salamander first & the teacup second. That way they would appear to be coming out of the cup (frog) or climbing on it (salamander).  I could have solved the problem by using a light box (didn't have it handy) or using a sunlit window (didn't think of it). Anyhoo... What I would have done is position a stamped teacup behind the project paper & stamp the frog & lizard  exactly where I wanted them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version