Stamping > Techniques

Distress Inks

(1/3) > >>

SWLady:
Ok, so I bought these new colors of distress ink thinking if I had a few colors I liked I might like them better. So I like the colors but I still have issues with the distress ink.

I think it may be my applicator that I am not liking. I have the Ranger ink blending tool. 1. I never remember to start off the paper. 2. When I do remember, I bend my paper blending onto the paper. 3. I get big splotches instead of pretty blending.

So, what other types of applicators are there that may work for me? I have a dauber but it doesn't seem to work any better.

howdyheidi:
#1 idea, use a much lighter touch.  If you have the rectangle ones, I still have that issue sometimes and that is why I want to use the round smaller ones. 
#2 idea, Tsukaneko daubers (is that what you have?).  They come in a big size and a little size and my Michael's carries them.
#3 idea, put less ink on the sponge, no matter which one.  The distress inks are more wet than other inks.

I have also used the makeup sponges, but I think that makes it even harder.

Maybe someone else will have some more original ideas.  :)

Far North:
I agree with Heidi that Tim's smaller round applicator is easier to use.  However, I am unclear what Heidi is talking  about in her #3 suggestion of less ink.  While the ink is formulated to react to water and it is active for about 15 minutes I have never felt it is wet or juicy...and it does not run unless water is added.  To ink a full size tag with the applicator takes many, many returns to the ink pad.  Perhaps Heidi can further describe how she feels that would work better.

But perhaps watching Tim demonstrate beginning video in the last video on this page may help you see what you are doing different.  Do note tim's hand is holding the base of the applicator not the handle. Holding the handle cause too much pressure on your paper surface.  There is a little learning curve to catch on to making circles beginning on the craft mat. The applicator should slide across the mat with only a light pressure.  Wrinkling the paper happens when one is pressing down too hard with the applicator and it doesn't glide across the craft mat and the paper you are inking.  I hold the applicator with the stem between my 2nd and 3rd fingers, resting the finger tips on top of the short side of the rectangle and my thumb and 4rd and 5th fingers rest lightly on the long sides of the base. 

Hope this helps!...Jan

SWLady:
Thanks for that link Jan. I watched a couple of his videos. He states that the inks should be really wet. My pads don't seem to be that wet, maybe that is also part of my problem.

I will try again holding the applicator differently and not pressing as hard and see how that works. I also like his crinkle technique. I may try that with a tag I already messed up by blending hehehe. It should cover that!

yellowcherrios:
This is what I have found with distressed inks in relation to your numbers:

1. I have found that starting off the paper on a slick craft mat (or other slick surface) really does make a difference on getting the soft blending ink effect…..when I start on the paper I am distressing, I get splotches and some soft blending/smears.  I always move the blending tool in circles first on my craft mat (I have the beige, slick craft mat---are you using a craft mat?), then move it onto the paper to blend-----and when I say "move it onto the paper" I mean keep the blending tool on the mat and do not lift it up when coming across the paper.  In my mind, I figure starting off the paper and on the craft mat somehow distributes the ink around in the sponge on the blending tool to minimize the blotches.  Not sure why it works better for me, but starting off the paper does.  (I have started off the paper and on a scrap piece of paper I put under my tag before and I found that the scrap paper sucked up the ink and made blending on the tag a slow process---so that is why I am pointing out to use a craft mat or another slick surface to begin the blending tool on).

2.  I make sure I have stabilized the edge of the paper I will brush over with the blending tool----to do that, I spread my thumb and middle finger (or index finger) apart over the paper edge and press my fingers down to make sure the paper is taunt with no gaps or relaxation to the paper edge---keeping the paper edge you are going over taunt seems to help keep from getting unwanted folds/bends. 

3.  I regards to splotches: sometimes I do want the splotches.  I like inking the sponge, then just pressing the sponge directly on the paper, without ever moving/blending the blending tool---it creates pretty speckles.  I like to sometimes put the speckles over what I have blended or sometimes I just leave just the speckles.  Having speckles in 2 or 3 different colors is really pretty.     

Other things:

1.  I also hold the rectangle block rather than the handle of the applicator. 

2.  I will say that it does take practice to learn how to color using the blending tool.  I tried makeup sponges before I bought the blending tool and found them hard to use---thus I bought the applicator.   I haven't tried the smaller blending tool---I have the larger size. 

I too had a hard time with blending distress inks in the beginning, but I recommend sticking with it and practicing---using the challenges is a great way to practice.  :smile: 

I read on the tag thread that you were trying the inks, Kathy, but you were hesitant b/c of distressing not being your style---and I never got to reply and let you know that that was why I avoided them for a long while.  Now I just see them as a color (like that of crayons or markers) and not as a distress product as they were marketed.  Plus there are many bright colors now!  I would recommend the peacock feathers and picked raspberry and mustard seed---I love how vivid and bright these 3 are--nothing like how I think of the word "distress"!  I'm glad to see you are trying them Kathy!!   O0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version