Stamping > Products and Tools

Art journals

(1/4) > >>

yellowcherrios:
I have read that some of y'all keep art journals. 

May I ask what y'all use as a journal---mainly I mean, is your journal spiral bound or like a book with just a spine?  or do you keep loose pages? etc? 

Art journals look really fun, but I have never done one. 

Also, if you want to share how (or why) you started art journaling, that'd be neat to read too! 

howdyheidi:
I would be interested too.  I was thinking of getting my artistic niece an art journal for a gift but I really don't know enough about them to choose.

CarefreeSadie:
I use a mixed media journal.  Either this one or one that Michaels sells buy one get one 50% off.  I like the heavy paper that takes a beating and holds together.  I have also used a small mixed media journal and taken the pages out to use on cards.  I have also gotten great big sheets of watercolor and or mixed media paper from Dick Blick......Love saying that name....LOL. 

This one!

Far North:
  I have only keep a "journal" of product experiments, a copy of my product color swatches, and samples I made in classes. I bought a 9.5 x 11 clear pocket portfolio (like page protectors at JoAnn's fine art section for my journal.  I am not much into diaries, journals or albums...I feel what I have in photos and on my blog is sufficient.  I think it would be a lot different if I was newer to stamping.

If you read blogs about art journals people are encourage to make them in whatever way they want.  Mixed Media encourages people to make art in what way the individual wants and there are no right and wrongs....and that certainly goes to journals too.  Yes, spiral bound books are easiest if you are going to make art in the jourmal.  Size varies a lot too.  Strathmore and a couple other big art paper companies came out with new Mixed Media journals this fall...with fancy, luxurious covers (some available at my Michaels). 

Some of the multi-media "instructors"strongly encourage doing some art 10 minutes a day to increase skills (the amt of time varies upward).  Some folks talk of using several different types of journals at one time.  Some folks are using their art and words to express their personal growth, development and/or feeling....an art diary in my mind.

The good news is no matter what you do it is right!           

yellowcherrios:
Thanks for all the comments!  And I am liking there is not a right or wrong way!   O0   And y'alls suggestions give me something to think about.  Looks like the most important thing is for the journal to have thicker paper than CS.  Makes sense….that way you can do basic stamping on one page and then watercoloring on the next. 

When I have seen examples of some art journals, the artist had lots of writing on the pages---like a diary more to me, but then I thought I had seen some that had no writing.  So I am glad you included those instances Jan in your response and described them. 

I like that idea of doing art 10 min a day…there are some days I don't go into the craft room b/c I think there is not enough time to get anything done…but then I miss not getting to do anything.   :(   I am thinking an art journal could help me with this "problem". 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version