Stamping > Techniques

Inking a stamp

(1/1)

yellowcherrios:
Today I decided to compare different pigment colors and brands I have and while doing so, I figured out that I tend to get the best ink coverage when I hold the stamp/lay on table and then ink with the ink pad in my dominate hand.  When I laid the ink pad on the table and then pressed the stamp to the ink pad with my dominate hand, the stamped image was a lighter version.  I need to try this "method" with my dye inks and see if the same results occur.

I found this stamped difference interesting and wondered if others had noticed any difference in how you ink a stamp effecting how it stamps? 

howdyheidi:
I am certain I do it different ways.  I did notice, however, that the Avery Elle pigment ink pads have directions specifically saying you should pat the ink onto the stamp:

Push me directly onto the stamp of your choice.
Stamp your image.

I wondered, then, if this is what one should be doing with pigment ink pads.

I know also that the large archival ink pad, there is no way you are going to do it that way...

Will be interesting to see what others say!

love5523:
Great question and observations Heidi  O0 I only have a couple of mini pigment ink pads. Most of the inks I have are dye or hybrid inks. What are your favorite brands for pigment ink?

Far North:
Sorry I added this on another thread..I too get confused about which discussion thread.

Tim Holtz teaches the mantra "ink to stamp".  I find it does make some difference with distress (dye) inks. 

I have pigment inks but only use them a couple times a year.  When do you use them over dye inks?

howdyheidi:

--- Quote from: Far North on November 21, 2014, 01:15:00 PM ---Sorry I added this on another thread..I too get confused about which discussion thread.

Tim Holtz teaches the mantra "ink to stamp".  I find it does make some difference with distress (dye) inks. 

I have pigment inks but only use them a couple times a year.  When do you use them over dye inks?

--- End quote ---

I was hoping to use my Avery elle inks with the clear stamps that don't do well with dye inks. I think they work great and I like that the ink pad color is the same when stamped.  I also was hoping to heat emboss with them, which I think is a nice option.  The new line of faster drying pigments inks (including Avery Elle and Memento Luxe) do not emboss as easily because they dry faster!  I do think getting the stamp well inked may help with that though.

I do know that the pigment inks "set" on top  of the paper instead of being absorbed into the paper.  I wonder if that does make a difference in the look.

However, I don't know if I know enough to know all the reasons you might use them over dye inks! 

Stacy, I am not 100% sure what is the best pigment inks!! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version