Author Topic: INK22 - A play with Vellum  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
INK22 - A play with Vellum
« on: April 02, 2022, 07:50:02 AM »
My challenge to you is to dust off your vellum (Michael's carries vellum) and ink, blend, emboss and highlight with ink on raised edges, as seen inTina Zinck's video.  On a side note, Tina is one of Canada's top Stampin' Up! reps. 

Please complete the main technique using an embossing folder for this challenge.  Add INK22-A Play on Vellum as your title.  If you make a card with your background, your name will go in twice for my draw.  One random winner will be selected to win a prize.   

Use alcohol-based markers such as SU Stampin' Blends, Copic markers.  Regular markers will not work.  If you do not have these type of markers, please feel free to you what you have.

Questions?  Comments?  Please leave them in this forum.  As well, please share your link to your card on this thread. 

I have attached samples here for you.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 08:09:58 AM by Canadian, eh »
Beth

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: INK22 - A play with Vellum
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 09:07:30 AM »
So pretty! I can't wait to try this!

April :smile:

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 09:42:08 AM »
Wow your cards are gorgeous, looks like fun!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »
Here is my card. I had such a hard time deciding how to put my card together for some reason! LOL! :idiot2:

April :smile:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5731#top_display_media

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 08:47:38 AM »
Thanks for the challenge Beth!  Your samples are beautiful.  I'm going to try it, probably with Bic Mark It markers as I don't have copics or SU alcohol markers.

April, you did a great job with this challenge!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 11:50:24 AM »
I tried this challenge with Bic Mark It markers and it works!  The packaging says they are acid free, permanent markers. 
Boy do I have a mess to clean up now, but I had fun making it!  It's been a long time since I've used vellum, and it's so pretty.

I'm glad I did cut a rectangle out of the background, hidden behind the focal layer.  I think it made it easier to adhere the focal piece, otherwise you'd be adhering to embossed vellum. 

Thanks for the challenge, Beth. 
I made a Mother's Day card.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 03:28:11 PM »
While the vellum is out, I made another card.

This time I used a flower embossing folder and rubbed Kitsch Flamingo across the top.  A little more subtle than the walnut stain I used for the first card.

Happy Birthday

Having fun!
Cindi

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 02:35:43 PM »
April, I love your card.  The die cut flower is a nice touch.  Great colours.  Left you some love in the gallery.

Cindi, your cards are beautiful.  I love all the gold embossing on your first card. 

Excellent work on the challenge ladies.  Lovin' left in both your galleries.
Beth

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 05:22:05 PM »
I liked the gems on April's card so much that I thought my vellum birthday card needed some too. 
Here's the jazzed up version with a few gems on two corners and one dotting the "i".

Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 08:55:09 AM »
Here is my try at the challenge, I really like how pretty the background is

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5744#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 12:59:22 PM »
This looks pretty easy!  I have never seen someone sponge glue on vellum like that before.  Has anyone done it and up close, can you see the glue, or is it pretty hidden?  I might have to try it!

Also, another question, Beth, is having the vellum flower part of the challenge or is it just the background?  I haven’t started yet so I don’t know what direction I will be going with this yet.

Thanks!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 02:09:05 PM »
Okay, another question.  I just tried this and my ink transfers on my hands afterwards. I used Spectrum Noir alcohol markers.  Maybe the bottle that I think is 99% alcohol isn’t really?  I will need to try again.  It was pretty but it would get everywhere if I tried to use it.

Thanks!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 03:01:08 PM »
Heidi, no, you don't have to use a flower.  I did just because I couldn't think of what else to do at the time.  I'm surprised Spectrum Noir came off.  That's too bad.  Do you one or two Copics? 

The glue thing works beautifully.  Because it does, I'll use vellum more often as I think it's so pretty. 

You won't see the glue.  I used Dollar Store cosmetic sponges which worked beautifully and they can be thrown away after without hurting the pocket book.

Beth

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 03:08:29 PM »
Beth, I will try again.  I also have a new bottle of alcohol upstairs and I will try that, and I do have a couple Copics if that still doesn’t work.  Maybe a couple Bics, that Cindi said she used successfully.
Thanks for your quick answers!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 03:51:50 PM »
Besides the pretty vellum that results, the gluing tip was one of my favorite parts of this challenge!  I forgot you could glue vellum in that way.  It works really well and doesn't show.  Yes, that will make it a lot easier to use vellum in the future.

I used the same Tombow multi glue that was shown in the video.  I wonder, did anyone try another glue?  Wondering if the glue matters?

Great idea to use cheap cosmetic sponges Beth.  I used a piece of what I think was a SU sponge that will now have to be a dedicated glue sponge, ha!
Cindi